Notices

To my American friends on this forum

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To my American friends on this forum

A few words to express support to all those affected in any way by hurricane Katrina. My thoughts are with you.

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 07:59 AM

thank you florence....it is quite bad in those areas...they will survive however...
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 02:57 PM

Thank you for your kind words, Florence. I am far away from the disaster but feel very sad for people in that area. I was especially sad to see the people of New Orleans, a city I love to visit.

It's also sad to see that a tragedy like this brings out nasty and vindictive people like Author V.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:35 PM

Thank you Florence, your kindness is appreciated. I don't live near the affected areas either, but I live in NYC and after going through 9/11, I can certainly empathize with what those people are going through. I've never been to New Orleans I'm sorry to say, or any of the other areas that were hit so hard, but after they rebuild, and I'm sure they will, I will certainly have to go there and show my support the way so many wonderful people came to NY after we were hit and showed their support.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:49 AM

Following the Asian Tsunami last year there was an outpouring of sympathy and offers to help from members of this board and indeed on forums across the world, people just wanting to show that they felt for the suffering and loss of others and desperate to do something to help.

So I would like to extend 'our' feelings of support for those who have lost loved ones, their homes and possessions and are now from what we see on TV suffering greatly, the images have bought back memories.

Let us hope that not only the government but the business community and individuals can pull together on this one.

We here feel their suffering and we extend our heartfelt support to all those in need.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 09:13 AM

Here is something we are not likely to see but would really be nice- other countries coming to the aid of the hurricane victums. The US does so much in these disasters- how about some of the internatioinal community returning the favor?
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 09:15 AM

James A, Thank you for copying and pasting your kind, loving thoughts from this post into the thread on the US board.

Your positive words are very appreciative. I can only imagine that this tragedy might bring back some nightmares from your own experience and for that I too, am sorry.

In addition, thank you Florence! We value your support.

Best wishes, Tiff
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 09:54 AM

There are stories on AP and Reuters about all the nations that have been offering aid to the US. More than 30 on the latest list this morning. I wish these stories received more attention because the help is really appreciated. Thanks to them all.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:06 AM

I am happy to hear that- I have not read/heard about that but again its good to have the internatinal community respond!
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:50 PM

The kind words are appreciated, Florence and James A and others who have expressed their sentiments on the devastation along the Gulf Coast. Yes, there are other countries jumping in to give us a hand at this moment.

God Bless America!

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 05:22 PM

May I also add my support to all those affected by Katrina. It seems almost impossible to believe the destruction that has happened. I hope help can get to those in need very soon indeed.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 06:00 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words. JamesA I always appreciate your post from Thailand. A lovely country I have visited 3 time.
I live in the Southern US- Myrtle Beach, S.C.-a tourist and retirement area not affected by this hurricane,but I have had to evacuate a few times as I live on the Atlantic Ocean. New Orleans is another favorite US city of mine so it breaks my heart to see what these people are experiencing. Just in the Mobile, Ala. area last year and came home after Hurricane Charlie to find shingles off my house. We are so grateful the international community is willing to help us at such a time as this.
Let us hear from more of you outside the US.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 07:28 AM

billT.. Im kind of upset with the US media's reports or lack thier report of support by other nations. I have CNN International which gives updates on all the counties that are offering aid but when the CNN producers switch the covarage too CNN USA NOTHING IS MENTIENED.. apperently Russian government was one of the first contries too contact the USA..Venizuela soon folloed Many counties plus UN have pledged money and services but America till last I checked have not excepted too many offers.. and this has made the international community look BAD.

So if anyone back in the statess tells ya America helps every contry but they don't help back tell them too switch onto the BBC or some other international station and find out the truth.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 08:25 AM

just right now CNN international is giving a report on internation help. it is reporting how CUBA "our supposed ENAMY" has offored 25 tonsw of medacin and 1,100 doctors who are in a holding site ready too be deployed but the USA is just saying they are assesing all offers..

JEEZ what going on. Take anything that is offered.

SORRY FOR GETTING a bit upset.. this thread imay not be the place for this kind of discusion.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 09:25 AM

Orgy, you're so right. I watch CNN constantly when I'm home--it's been on since 7am today--and not a thing on help offered from other countries, although I know that many have extended offers. This lack of reporting only helps to fuel anti foreigner feelings. We've already seen a few on this thread. Thankfully, the fodors editors have deleted them.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 09:34 AM

I watch Fox instead of CNN. I'm so happy to see that the poor folks at the convention center are finally being evacuated. I've been to that facility a couple of times for conventions and know the area pretty well.

Fox was reporting about international assistance, but I've not heard anymore since the other day. They did not say anything about Cuba.

Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 09:51 AM

Just go to Yahoo news and seach for : Foreign aid katrina
You will see lots of reports, also if you put in: Cuba aid katrina
you will also see it, but the top 2 reports are from a Russian agency and then the Australian Sydney Morning Herald, then also USA today but you can see other news wires no mention. Japan, Australia, also Venezuela plus they say 50 countries have offered aid.

Whether the logistics mean that far flung countries can actualy help is different, but they 'have' offered.

Anyhow our thoughts are with those people down there.

Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:01 AM

I was in New Orleans recently for pleasure and seeing the TV accounts of the destruction and heartship felt by all those people there is especailly difficult. Having friends who live and have business there, it's difficult not knowing what's become of them.

One of the reasons I decided to make my first visit to BKK and Phuket this year was to show support to the local people and their economy. I hope that once the wonderful city of New Orleans is back on it's feet and I know it will be with time, that you'll all visit.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:15 AM

Update: just now on CNN, during a live news conference with a FEMA official, it was reported that many countries have offered help, many of which are poor and can barely get by themselves.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 04:47 PM

I got back from Bangkok on Aug 30th and due to jetlag have been up all night and thus watching the hurricane news coverage for about 5-6 hours straight. At about 3 or 4AM, the regular news gave a list of countries offering aid. I don't have cable, but wish I could get the BBC.When the Tsunami hit, I was in Ghana, West Africa and thank goodness could get not only the BBC, but CNN International, and the Ghanaian News did good reporting.I haven't had time to drive into downtown L.A. to pick up a copy of the Bangkok Post to see if Thailand has offered aid or not. Happy Travels!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information