To:Lcuy in Hawaii

Oct 16th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

To:Lcuy in Hawaii

So glad to hear that you and family are ok. When I saw the pictures of the damage on the news, right away I thought that it must have been a bullwhip quake and not a rolling one. I've experienced lots of quakes having grown up here in L.A...not a picnic to say the least...especially when one can hear the seams of the house popping...especially in bullwhip ones. But, if the house is still standing and over many decades of quakes, then you know you've got a very strong house. Thank goodness, the house I grew up in is still standing after 4-plus decades of quakes. Take care. Happy Travels!
Oct 16th, 2006, 07:15 PM

It was really scary, and I grew up in San Diego! I really thought our house was going to collapse..It was creaking and groaning, and really shaking!

To add to the misery, it was pouring rain, and the power and phones were out until 11 pm!

Then this morning, my office building was still without power and phones till almost noon!

But, no damage other than some pictures and knicknacks on the floor, so I'm not complaining. An historic old inn near my house had BIG damage.

I had a lot of catching up to do from being on the mainland 10/5- 10/13, and needless to say it's getting even deeper on my desk!

Still glad that I went to Boston last week! Wasn't it fun? Even if I didn't get to talk in depth with you and some others, it was great to see everyone!
Oct 16th, 2006, 07:20 PM

lcuy, I'm glad to hear that you and yours survived the quake intact. I've been thinking of the whole Hawaii contingent and hoping the damage for all of you would be minimal.
Oct 17th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Isis Monroe and S.O. are over there too. Has anyone heard from them? Happy Travels!
Oct 17th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Check on the US Forum Earthquake in Hawaii for Fodorites info.
Oct 17th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Glad to hear you are doing ok lucy.
Oct 17th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Glad to hear your okay too, Lcuy.

We live in a condo on a lower floor so it did not shake that much as the higher floors did.

Guenmai, now I know more about bullwhip earthquakes!
Oct 17th, 2006, 07:16 PM

lucy:

glad to hear all is well with you and yours

is that the the old rick ralston(crazy shirts) place that was damaged? forgot the name.
we used to live on the next street over.

Aloha!

Oct 17th, 2006, 07:48 PM

Its the Manoa Valley Inn on Vancouver street, which now that you mention it, maybe it was Rick Ralston was the one who redid it in the late 70's or 80's.

Wonder what ever happened to him...?

I drove by it yesterday, and from the street side it looks fine, but the whole chimney collapsed and took parts of the siding and eaves with it.

Glad to hear from the Femme Nu gang...How's chicago, HT? and aren't you glad you're on a low floor Isis?

Melissa must be fully trained for a marathon after the real hike up and down from her place!
Oct 18th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Melissa had to go up 33 floors and get from her frig the pate she brought back from Paris so she could have a picnic on the beach! The strong and sweet gal even brought up water/food for her neighbors.
Oct 18th, 2006, 09:04 AM

Ohana in Hawaii.
People dropped by with food.
Food was shared with various people in the condo. "Older" residents and single residents were checked upon.
Oct 18th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Lucy,

Iris and I were very pleased to learn that you came through the ordeal OK.
Oct 19th, 2006, 09:27 PM

Hi Lucy,

Glad to hear that you are OK, so sorry to hear about the earthquake and aftermath that you and fellow Hawaiians have had to endure. I sent you an email early this week...have you been able to receive it? Thinking of you and hoping that all is well with you and your family,

Terry
Oct 19th, 2006, 10:38 PM

Hi terryr--I just found it! Oops.

You'll have mail!