Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   To Bob (rmk) reminders (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/to-bob-rmk-reminders-537527/)

simpsonc510 Jun 17th, 2005 10:33 AM

To Bob (rmk) reminders

Hi Bob
I'm so glad you and Karen are having such a great time in BKK and other places you've included on this trip.

Just wondered if you will have time to visit a couple of places before you come home. What about Sky Bar at the top of State Tower? You really SHOULD ride to the top and have a toast at sunset or something like that. The view is wonderful, the bar is gorgeous, and the air is fresh and "cool" after dark.

And then there's the EGV Gold Class Theater at Siam Discovery. Any movie is fun to see in this A-ONE ***** theater. The seats are all lazyboy recliners and you get your own footies, pillow, blanket, plus some of the chairs have built in massage. Hope you can make it there too.

We all look forward to a more in depth report from you!

Carol

simpsonc510 Jun 18th, 2005 12:33 PM

I'm topping, just in case you get to read fodors before heading home, Bob.

rhkkmk Jun 19th, 2005 12:12 AM

carol...you are on my list for today...thanks for writing...

we did the sky bar the first week...when i asked karen last nite what were highlights for her, she replied that sky bar was one of them....i liked it too but thought the prices were outrageous---700++B for 2 beers...we got driven out by a huge thunder storm...

we did also get to "city complex"...thats the place in the basement across from the grand diamond...we loved it...karen bought a few pairs of shoes...most everything else was too small, of course....got some beaded bags in pratanam also...got some grandchildren clothes at city as well..home on manday...34 days is a long time to be away...we are ready to go home...

we loved tongue thai, in back of the oriental...gpanda suggested it...put it on your list...small, with a nice interior atmosphere....great thai food...mostly very hot..

we loved bed as i hope you read...the food was excellent as well

watch for my trip report in the next week or so

looks like it is going to rain again as it is getting very dark and it is only 3 pm

bob

went to loft twice...a new good staple for us...

rhkkmk Jun 19th, 2005 12:13 AM

decided we could not fit in the movies this time....

simpsonc510 Jun 19th, 2005 05:46 AM

Bob and Karen,
Do have a safe trip home. Son is saying the we MUST coordinate a trip to BKK when Bob from Mass is there! I think we should ALL meet in BKK at some future point. We have quiet a group of fodorites here who are regular posters and who either live in or near BKK or visit there regularly. Some of the other forums have their get togethers. What about US?

Carol

Guenmai Jun 20th, 2005 09:48 AM

I say let's all meet in Bangkok and eat/party ourselves into oblivion. We should take a survey of when people can travel to Bangkok...I'll start...either the third week in August...for about 10-12 days... or mid December to early January...for 3 weeks or the week before Easter whenever Easter may fall...although it's hot in Bangkok then. You know, the folks over in lonelyplanet...in the African forum get together quite a bit either in Africa or in England or at times the States. Happy Travels!

kuranosuke Jun 20th, 2005 09:59 AM

ok, i'm in. i will be there during the week of nov. 20th, first part of the week i will be at the turkey farm, then in bangkok.

Craig Jun 20th, 2005 12:04 PM

Looks like many of us will be there but at different times - for us its the last two weeks of February 2006. I am sure there will be some sort of New England GTG now that Bob is back.

simpsonc510 Jun 20th, 2005 01:03 PM

When and where in New England? I'm not in that neighborhood, but that doesn't mean I couldn't get there!!!

I will be in BKK probably end of in Sept or early Oct. I'd say there is a very good chance I will be there also in mid-late January as a friend is getting married there. Would not want to miss his wedding.

Craig Jun 20th, 2005 01:36 PM

Carol - All we have at this point is that we want to do a New England GTG some time this summer. The New Englanders on this board are me (and wife Jeane), Bob/RHK (and wife Karen) and Andy/Gpanda (and wife Beth). Orgy7 is also a New Englander but probably won't admit it if you ask him since he now lives in Bangkok. I hope I haven't missed anyone. I would guess that some time in the near future one of us will be posting and we would certainly want your input on a date if you are interested in attending.
Craig

Kathie Jun 20th, 2005 02:29 PM

I'll be in Bangkok in November (probably Nov 14 &15) and again Nov 30 through Dec 2.

I don't have any travel plans to New England at present, but I know there are several people in Hawaii, and I have a business trip to Hawaii in early August.

divediva Jun 20th, 2005 03:18 PM

we will be in bangkok oct 12,13,14
and again nov 1,2,3
Kathie...what island are you going to??
i work for expedia...i would love to meet you

glorialf Jun 20th, 2005 05:06 PM

I'll be in Thailand next Jan for about 3 weeks.

Kathie Jun 20th, 2005 05:28 PM

Diva, I'll be on Oahu probably staying right on Waikiki. If I remember correctly, you're on Maui aren't you?

hobbes Jun 20th, 2005 05:30 PM

Miss me - in Bkk Sept end and no plans to be in New England for a while!

kuranosuke Jun 21st, 2005 12:51 AM

kathie; it seems like i will be sandwiched between your bangkok visits so won't be able to connect. but i see you are coming to honolulu on business.

if you have time, lets get together for some happy hour wine or martinis at a local saloon downtown.

perhaps we can get the other kamaaina fodorites to join the soiree. maybe divediva can fly in from maui.:-)

CFW Jun 21st, 2005 02:36 AM

Craig, My husband Rob & I live in Connecticut & would love to join in. We had a fabulous three-week trip to Thailand end of January/early February (our first) and can't wait to return. In fact, we were editing our photos last night for an album on shutterfly and re-living our wonderful memories of the people & places. Loved it! We're busy the last week-end in July and first two week-ends in August, but otherwise are fairly free. Let us know the date. Thanks! Carole

IsisMnroe Jun 21st, 2005 03:26 AM

It would be nice to thank Kathie and other Fodorites in person for sharing their wealth of travel information. Please count me and my husband in if there is a get together in Hawaii.

Guenmai Jun 21st, 2005 07:06 AM

OK...folks...I see we have very conflicting Bangkok schedules. So, how about Hawaii? I have only been there once and it was in 1970 when I was a young teen. I could zip over since it's just around the corner from L.A....Smiles. But somewhere easy to get in and out of...like Honolulu. I'd probably only be able to be there for a weekend. Happy Travels!

hawaiiantraveler Jun 21st, 2005 08:48 AM

I would love to have the chance to thank in person all of you beautiful Fordorite's that have shared your knowledge with me in Waikiki in August, please count me in.
We also plan on being in bkk the end of Feb. 06.
Kuranosuke: Turkey Farm???