Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   tips reguarding China visits (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/tips-reguarding-china-visits-92145/)

Joan Oct 31st, 2000 08:10 AM

tips reguarding China visits

If you plan a trip to China and are going to get your Visa in person at San Francisco. beware.......they are rude, and of no help. They issued our visa and it expired the day before we left....big problems. <BR>Also silk hand made rugs are 1/2 the price of Egypt or Turkey in Guilin. They are wonderful. Spent a month in China .

gayle Oct 31st, 2000 12:14 PM

Hi Joan, my husband and I are planning a 4 week trip to China for next year. Did you take a tour or travel independently? Please give a report of your trip and impressions if you have time as it would be a great help. - thanks - Gayle

DF Nov 2nd, 2000 12:11 PM

Hi Joan, <BR> <BR>We're planning a trip to China in May. Please tell me more about your rug purchases in Gulin. Where? And how does one go about sending it home? Also, what about assurances of quality. Any more info would be appreciated. One more question. With whom did you tour or did you not take a tour? Thanks so much for any information.

Zae Nov 2nd, 2000 08:05 PM

Hi Joan, <BR> <BR>I had a similar experience with Thai Visa officials in Los Angeles. Now that you mentioned it, I too am gonna' post a comment on it. <BR> <BR>Thanks for sharing.

Joan Nov 3rd, 2000 06:35 AM

Our trip was wonderful as I mentioned. We happened (by accident) to be in Beijing and also Shanghai on 50th aniverary of PRChina. Quite an experience. We took meds as we are senior citizens and a little cautious of getting sick in a 3 world type country. We took Malaria pills for our trip on the Yangtze and upper respiratory meds for a cold that wouldn't get better. We took the upper respiratory meds after 10 days or so. Got "colds" within a couple of days and keep getting worse. As did all on our tour. <BR>Rugs in Guilin,I can't remenber the name. I had bought mine in Turkey so didnt' buy, but many in our group did and they really saved over my deal in Turkey. Guilin is a "village" so think all prices would be the same. They can mail them but they fold up tiny and are not heavy. Safer to carry them with you. I didn' see any info on Assurances of quality. But I never have anywhere. We went with Pacific Bestours 800 688-3288. When we got to China the company is CITS (national tour co.) Our guide in Guilin was Rachel Quinn. Wonderful young lady. Our trip was a combination Major City - Yangtze Cruise. I think we saw most there was to see. Xi'an (Terra Cotta Warriors) was the worst air..couldn't see across the air terminal. Fall and farmers were burning rice fields. Hope this helps. If it is your first visit you will not be disspointed. Good luck, Joan

Deborah Nov 8th, 2000 05:23 AM

Gayle: <BR>My husband and I just spent 2+ weeks in China. We visited 4 cities and despite <BR>only so-so weather, we had a great time. <BR>We had wonderful results in dealing with China Travel Service(CTS) San Franciso office, in planning our trip. <BR>We outlined our specific itinerary and they made ALL of the necessary arrangements from hotel, to guides, drivers, etc.

gayle Nov 8th, 2000 06:37 PM

Thanks Deborah, I live in Australia so I will check if we have a CTS branch here. If its ok I might run more questions past you when I get some info from them. - Gayle

Deborah Nov 10th, 2000 07:55 AM

Gayle: <BR>Feel free to e-mail me with any questions you have. I have some specific material, phone numbers, etc that I will be happy to share. <BR>Deborah