Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Tip for housekeeping fancy hotel Bombay/Mumbai India

Feb 12th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Very concrete question: how much should I tip the person who cleans my room in a fancy
hotel in Bombay (Taj Mahal Palace - surprisingly inexpensive this week for a Tower room, maybe because of the terrorist history)? I am American, happy to behave like one (i.e. tip differently from an Asian person maybe) but would love ballpark suggestions.

How much per day, I'd say - I'll leave it all at once (last day is tomorrow Feb 14).

And a PS - if the offer still is there, I can't recommend it highly enough - a sea-facing room at a rate that includes breakfast. I came for one week and it was fine, jet-lag- and otherwise. About $220/night. Through Continental.
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:28 AM

You are likely to get recommendations all over the place. I would first say that it is too bad you have left this to the last day, because if you are going to tip housekeeping, you probably should do so every day, as there are different shifts during the week; and just tipping on the last day does not mean that all the various people who have cleaned your room during your stay will benefit from one tip.

One way to resolve this is to leave an envelope with the front desk and ask them to distribute the money inside to all of the housekeeping staff on your floor. Hopefully they will do so.

You can also ask to see the head housekeeper for your floor or for the hotel and do the same.

Otherwise, you can leave one large tip. For me, a ballpark for India is US$2-3 a day, depending on how many people stayed in the room, how much extra work they may have done during your stay, and how good a job they did in cleaning the room. Bear in mind that even US$1 a day would not at all be a bad tip based on the salary of the housekeeping staff.
Feb 13th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Cicerone - I totally agree that I should have tipped daily but - I didn't!! there was one man whom I saw a lot of so I don't mind if it goes to him. I'll talk to somebody at a desk to find out best way to be fair and give most to the fellow who did most. That is very useful.

Like everybody in this hotel, they've all been so nice to me. At the moment I'd say, if somebody (like me) has the very occasional rare splurge-y kind of holiday, the Taj belongs on the list.
Feb 15th, 2012, 05:09 AM

Well I think you should think of at least $2 as $1 is hardly a big amount for the staff as its equal to INR 50 which is just not much even to have a good sweet pack to get there.
Feb 15th, 2012, 12:03 PM

I'm not sure why Dogster's comments were removed, they were tongue in cheek but not offensive, more along the lines of "when in Rome do as an American"

Are there any Indians on this forum who would be able to offer advice on what is the custom with tipping housemaids?

Personally, I've never done it outside of the US
Feb 15th, 2012, 09:54 PM

I'm from Oz so we just tip whatever we like. Yes, I've stayed at the Taj Mahal Palace but I did not tip daily nor at a certain rate per day. If I am in the room when they come to clean that's when I tip more generously, $2 to $5.
Often I use the cost of a local meal for a local as a guideline.