Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Time to wander in Hanoi and Ha Long Bay area

Time to wander in Hanoi and Ha Long Bay area

Jun 21st, 2000, 07:33 AM
Al

Time to wander in Hanoi and Ha Long Bay area

Our tour to Hanoi and Ha Long Bay areas allows us free time to wander. Based on your experience, what would you recommend that we see?

Jun 21st, 2000, 05:50 PM
Harriet

Most tours of Ha Long include a boat ride among/around the "dragon's back" of islands. It's really quite beautiful. The town of Ha Long is pleasant enough to stroll through, but a bit hilly and not terribly interesting unless you're there when the fishing boats come in. Outside of Ha Long, on the way back to Hanoi, there are lots of little villages where they make and sell ceramics for a fraction of what you would pay anywhere else in VN. You might find a stop en route a nice break.

There is plenty to see and do in Hanoi. It all depends on how much time you have. A few ideas for you:
1) wander through the old part of town. Each street "specializes" in a different product (e.g. paper, flowers, shoes)
2) Stroll around Hoan Kiem Lake (at sunrise you'll see lots of people doing T'ai Chi.
3) The Temple of Literature
4) The Ho Chi Minh Museum (pretty bizarre and worth the visit IMHO)
5) National Water Puppet Theatre - this is a delightful experience. Every seat in the house is good but tickets sell out early in the day so plan accordingly.

Please feel free to email me directly for more information. I LOVE Vietnam and am happy to share ideas, information, etc.

P.S. I found your post in the general "Asia" forum but not in the Vietnam section. You may want to repost your inquiry for more responses.

Search this Thread