Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Tiger Temple in BKK (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/tiger-temple-in-bkk-758599/)

HMD99 Dec 29th, 2008 09:16 AM

Tiger Temple in BKK

Hi everyone. My husband and I are going on our honeymoon in Thailand from Jan 1 - 16 and appreciate all of your help and tips on this forum.

Per your recommendations, we have booked some tours through Tong's group (unfortunately she's not available but you all have said wonderful things about other members of her team.)

I read somewhere on this forum that Tong and her guests get special treatment at the Tiger Temple because they know her. (Avoid lines, get to see her bear friend, etc.). In communicating with Tong last night it sounds like this is no longer the case.

My question is: Is it still worth spending a half day going to the Tiger Temple? Without the "special treatment" will we still be able to get close to the tigers and touch them, etc? I know there is a lot of controvery about the place and we have decided to go anyway. I'm just wondering if it's still a neat experience or if it will just be long lines and distant views of the tigers.

Thank you!
Heather

quirkles Dec 29th, 2008 10:02 AM

I'm wondering the same thing. Eager to hear the answer!

khunwilko Apr 3rd, 2009 04:30 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...ri---avoid.cfm

Indeed – the tiger temple which is the wrong side of almost every wildlife convention in the world – including Thai law – is also the centre of a very strong if somewhat naive and clumsy tourist Mafia.

You will also notice that every time the place is criticised on a web site, one or more fist-time posters will appear to endorse the site. – check this thread -

Both international wildlife organisations and the local authorities have criticised the place.

The tour guides make a healthy living out of the place and get commissions and backhanders to support the place. When questioned they usually say they are sitting on the fence – however they aren’t – so long as they encourage people to go there they are supporting a terrible place that has no scientific, conservation or animal welfare value.

Search your conscience - and the internet before you part with your money in support of this place!

Femi Apr 3rd, 2009 07:33 AM

You do get to touch the tigers even without Tong, something you can probably experience nowhere else. I will tell you that the enormity of being that close to a wild beast left me scared witless.

filmwill Apr 3rd, 2009 08:04 AM

i'd actually say the irony is that you are a first-time poster.

coincidence?

khunwilko Apr 11th, 2009 06:28 PM

Ironic - yes - coincidence - no - I have written quite a lot on the place elsewhere and was lead here by a web address - , but I don't pretend to be something I'm not or make up lies about the place.

Tong needs to outline her (his?) position on this place - the guide is making money out of the place yet refuses to condone or condemn.

filmwill Apr 11th, 2009 07:14 PM

With all due respect, who the heck are you to demand that anyone do anything? There are many guides making money on many things. Why single one out?

Honestly, have a Coke and a smile...and go away. :)

Mango7 Apr 11th, 2009 08:16 PM

lmao

khunwilko Apr 11th, 2009 08:47 PM

Because the place is a sham and making money out of it is supporting an unethical establishment

richardfh Apr 12th, 2009 04:08 AM

I have to say, I really enjoyed my time there. Charlie (one of Tong's team) took great care of me, and I was the only one who received some early pictures and had the chance to feed a bottle of milk to a baby Tiger. No one else was given that chance.

For an extra "donation" anyone can get pictures with the Tigers.

Would definitely recommend going.

jgg Apr 12th, 2009 10:11 AM

The "special treatment" that Tong was able to do was to always get you first in line to walk the tigers and first in line to take pictures with the tigers. So, even if she is unable to do that now you can still do all those things, you just may need to wait in the line. Not sure about visiting the bear - maybe you can still go up there and visit the bear but not be able to go in the cage and feed it like we did.

bacooking Apr 12th, 2009 11:45 AM

We went to the Tiger Temple last summer and did not use Tong. we went in on our own with our 3 teenagers - we were perfectly fine on our own and our teenagers loved it- we took tons of photos - my only advice would be to get their early - most people know to get their by 12:30 but we arrived at Noon and very few people were around. We took tons of photos with big tigers, baby cubs, etc. We were first in line for the walk with tigers all this on our own. You just have to be alert to when things are happening to know to get up and get in line.