Tibet Individual Travel

Feb 24th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Tibet Individual Travel

I am a bit confused as I keep hearing contradictory information. Is individual travel allows in Lhasa? Is it even possible to get a Tibet travel permit as an individual? I will be in Xi'an and want to take the train to Lhasa, stay there for 4 nights, and then fly out to Chengdu. Does anyone know if this is possible as an individual and not as part of a tour?
Feb 25th, 2008, 05:39 PM

My husband and I flew roundtrip from Chengdu to Lhasa two years ago as independent travelers. We arranged the flight and hotel reservations while in Chengdu with a travel agent connected to the Tibet Hotel (nice hotel) in Chengdu. We were required to buy a travel permit to Tibet, but I think that was just a ripoff. We traveled alone, no guides or tour, spending three nights only in Lhasa. We did not go to any other parts of Tibet. We were not sure if the authorities would intervene, but no one questioned us. In Lhasa we stayed at the Lhasa Hotel--pretty, clean, ethnic decoration, good food. They did ask to see the travel permit. Everything went well, but that was by air. I have no experience with the train to Lhasa. Even though we only saw Lhasa, it was a very worthwhile experience.

Search this Thread