Thinking of adding 6 days in Vietnam

Sep 13th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thinking of adding 6 days in Vietnam

So thinking of taking one of the weeks I'm in Bali and heading to Vietnam. There's always down time between sample tweaking and I've Never been. Plus, it's close by and Btwn. AirAsia and Tiger Air I can get there to Ho chi min city pretty cheap. Does anyone know distance to Halong bay from HCM city or Hanoi and is a week worth it for me to go there. Thanks in adavance.
Sep 13th, 2009, 01:20 PM

its about a 2-3 hour ride from hanoi as i remember...
Sep 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Amy

HaLong Bay is a few hours out of Hanoi; from HCMC, you'd have to fly into Hanoi, I'd think, with your time frame. Vietnam is a beautiful country, and to me any time you can get there is a plus, but I happily spent three weeks and could have been there longer. I preferred the North, actually, although the trip down the Mekong out of HCMC was great. Here's some pictures for inspiration: http://travel.webshots.com/album/569832392chwMeC
Sep 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Is a week worth it? It depends on what you are trading it for and what you are looking for.

You have two weeks in Bali scheduled. If you don't need that much time there, what about a closer destination like central Java?

From your question, it sounds like Halong Bay is the place you most want to see in VN - is that right? With a week, you want to choose one area. Can you fly in to Hanoi as easily as HCMC? You could spend a week in Hanoi and Halong Bay - either a one night or two night cruise on the bay. Read some of the many reviews here of people's experiences to see if it's worth the trip to you.
Sep 13th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks u guys. And thanks Amy for the pix!!!!
Kathie I actually have closer to 6 weeks in Bali, I'm there for the second sample run of my jewelry. So I thought 1 week in the middle of 6 weeks in Bali would be an interesting getaway. I plan on getting to Central Java this time as well. As I just spent a month in Bali in January.

I looked at flights, I'd have to get to SIN first. I can get a rt to SIN from Bali on Jetstar or AirAsia for about 100-140 and from SIN to HCM city for 80-100 RT on either JetStar or Tiger.

Any thoughts on which airlines are better. I am going to research and will be back with more questions I'm sure.
Sep 13th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and yes really want to see Halong BUT not as easy or economical getting to Hanoi, so will take Amy's advice and look at Mekong trip from HCM.
Sep 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

One more Question, I'm confused with the Visa situation. Am I reading correct that there is Visa on Arrival service at the airport for Vietnam?
Sep 13th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Is it worth it? Yes, we really enjoyed our trip. Did you see the photos on my website?
I agree, if you want to see Halong, you need to fly into Hanoi.
Also, when are you planning on going? Weather, especially flooding, can be a problem in the fall months from Hoi An and into the South.
Sep 13th, 2009, 02:54 PM

You have to arrange your visa before you fly to VN. Technically, it's not visa on arrival (which means you just show up and get a visa). One of the VN travel agencies can arrange it for you. You make application on the web, pay them, and they will send you an email confirming that you have a pre-arranged visa. When you arrive in HCMC, you'll have to go to a desk and have your visa affixed and stamped and you'll pay a "stamping fee" of $25.

You must have the email to board the flight to VN.
Sep 13th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again u guys! Kiristina I actually just posted on FB asking who it was that was just there I remember seeing the ffod posts So I have your website open in another window as I type. Oh, when I'm going well I arrive in Bali on 16 Oct- about 20 Nov maybe a week longer so I was thinking the week of Oct 27th- Nov 2-3.

Thanks for the visa info Kathie, this is a spur of the moment idea which is usually how it works for me, is there a specific website you recommend for the visa app?
Sep 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Hi laartista-

I haven't done a trip report yet, but I just returned from a solo trip to Hanoi/Halong and Bali! Flying AirAsia via KL. I had a great time. It was my second trip to Hanoi, and I find it to be a fun city, with great shopping for clothes, jewelery and crafts. I'm sitting at my desk on my first day back at the office and basking in the compliments from colleagues on my custom tailored black linen dress ($35) and chunky turquiose necklace ($20).

Let me know if I can help to answer any questions.
Sep 14th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cruisin! Sounda like a great trip ! Well how was airasia?
Was this your first time to Vietnam, I can't decide between Hanoi or HCM City, will keep my eye out for your report.
PS. First day back to the office always sucks doesn't it?
Sep 14th, 2009, 06:30 PM

laartista- You said you were in Bali in Jan. What was the weather like? Was it very rainy? I am thinking of combining a 2-3 week Vietnam trip with one week in Bali (Ubud) in Jan. or Feb.
Sep 14th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

hi shelley- it did rain alot but not all day and not everyday, i had maybe 6 days the whole month where it rained all day heavy. i was there mid jan-mid feb, haven't even thought about the weather this trip i should probably look at what oct/nov should be like,

Search this Thread