Things to see and do in Singapore

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Things to see and do in Singapore

Hi,
I will be travelling to Singapore with my family during Christmas (dec 23 to dec 26). Can anyone suggest the things to see and do there as this will be the first time I will be visiting it. From the previous posts, underwater world, night safari, Merlion walk, duck tour and walk on Orchard road seem to be the famous places. Is it worth while to go to Singapore botanic gardens, Butterfly park, Jurong Bird park, singapore zoo and Thian Hock keng temple? I am asking this as I will be there only for 4 days and can plan accordingly. Also, are there any special events during Christmas time?
Thanks,
fka
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:29 PM

I would suggest visiting ethnic quarters like Little India, which is full of vibrancy and colours. It's an interesting sensory experience, with all the sights and smells.

If you're into spices, there's a famous Indian vegetarian restaurant in Little Indiacalled "Komala Villas" which is good and cheap. Try the "poori", which is fried bread with potato curry and chickpea curry and "masala tea" (spiced tea with milk).

There will be Christmas light-up along Orchard Road during this time.

Here's the website of the Singapore Tourism Board for more info:

http://www.visitsingapore.com/publis.../en/index.html

Enjoy your trip!

Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I will include Little India in my itinerary. I am still wondering about these places though (Singapore botanic gardens, Butterfly park, Jurong Bird park, singapore zoo and Thian Hock keng temple) as I won't have enough time to make it to all the places. Are there any other must see/do things at Singapore?
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 01:37 AM

If you have young children, taking them to the Jurong Bird Park and zoo would be good. The Botanic Gardens is worth visiting as well.

Singapore is a food paradise. You must try street/hawker food like Hainanese Chicken rice, satay, roti prata.

Pictures here:

http://www.visitsingapore.com/publis...f/recipes.html

Listing of eating places here:

http://www.visitsingapore.com/publis...ind_local.html
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 01:43 AM

While in Little India, you may also like to try some "khulfi" (Indian ice-cream spiced with cardamon). Khulfi Bar is highly recommended:

http://www.theurbanwire.com/UW/khulfi.html
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 09:46 AM

Take the cable car to Sentosa Island - plenty to see and do there.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 10:12 AM

What to do in Singapore really depends on your interests. There is plenty to do to keep you busy!

I highly recommend the Botanic Gardens. They have the largest display orchid garden in the world, really lovely. Go early in the morning - it's hot!

I've been to the Jurong bird park and especially enjoyed the section where you walk around in the rainforest habitat (which is all surrounded in netting) where the birds are fairly acclimated to people.

The museum of Asian Civilizations (both branches) is excellent. There is also a charming small museum in Raffles hotel.

The night safari gets good reviews. I've not heard of the underwater world, haven't been to the butterefly park.

All of the major shoping malls have huge Christmas displays.

I've been to Singapore many times and have never opted to go to Sentosa. It just doesn't interest me.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

I am new to this group and am amazed at how helpful the people are!Are there any good restaurants in Sentosa where I could get lunch/dinner? Also, I have booked my stay at Sha Villa. Does anyone have any information on how goos this place is? I am having a touch time finding a good place to stay during christmas time! Thanks again for the comments!
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 10:36 AM

There's a number of places where you can buy snack-type meals including along the beach and also a Shangri-la Hotel.
There's a walk-through museum telling about the invasion of Singapore with very life-like figures, especially the room which depicts the Japanese surrender.
There's also an aquarium and some very nice gardens.