Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

The Oriental, BKK, bathroom setup, is it just us?!

Dec 24th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Last week we had an overnight in the Oriental enroute to Ko Samui. We'll be returning back to the Oriental in a couple of days. We were pretty shocked to find that the bathroom in our room had a door-sized glass panel right next to the toilet. There was a louvre shutter (which wouldn't close completely), but you could still see right into the bathroom and worse, the toilet itself and everything that was going on there!

We aren't prudes, but there are some things that should be kept private and this glass panel does cause us some concern for when we return!

Is it just us or are we justified in not being happy about this lack of bathroom privacy?

Are there other rooms that don't have this glass panelling?

AP
Dec 24th, 2005, 07:15 AM

We also stayed in the Oriental for one night in a garden wing deluxe room. The bathroom is on the upper level and had a combination tub/shower - no glass window. However were given a shower room the next night because we had to check out, but our flight didn't leave until quite late. The room we were given had this strange glass window into the room arrangment. We thought this was very odd given the lack of privacy with the toilet. However the bathroom was much larger than the one in our room.
Dec 24th, 2005, 08:01 PM

just to start an argument....

i have seen none of this at the peninsula!!!
Dec 25th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

We're now awaiting a reply from the Oriental to our email request to see if we could have a different room! We are however, wondering the significance of this glass panel, is it so that you have a view of the river whilst using the toilet?

To compound matters further for us, we are cutting short our time here on Ko Samui to go back to BKK early as the weather here is so bad!

AP
Dec 25th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Maybe you could catch a bangkok airlines flight to Chiang Rai or elsewhere non-stop and spend a couple of nights there before returning to Bangkok. Check also to see how the weather is on the other side of the peninsula. Sorry to hear the weather is still bad down there. If you are spending that kind of money, why not try the Peninsula hotel or Four Seasons--we stayed at the Oriental but next time will try a different hotel. We stayed at the Davis Hotel for our return to Bankgok but not as convenient as some places.
Dec 25th, 2005, 05:34 AM

Believe the Oriental has a 48 hour or similar cancellation policy--in writing and phone. Easy enough to do. Meanwhile, maybe they'll come back with a different room setup for you. The first time I stayed, the room was at the front of the wing and no issue re: the glass panel which was by the bathtub, this time we had the same setup as you which I agree is a bit disconserting at night when the light is on. Didn't like the fact that the shower stall was also in the same small space as the toilet bowl.
Dec 25th, 2005, 05:44 AM

This is an interesting discussion. I've stayed at the Oriental, and I do not recall any issues with a glass panel in the bathroom there. But, in some resorts there are glass panels or louvered shutters that open into the bathroom. I'm not sure why... it's a "Thai thing" maybe... I prefer my privacy when I'm in the bathroom, but I'll admit to bathing and looking out on the Andaman from my villa at Mom Tri's Villa Royale once!!! Delightful!!
Carol
Dec 25th, 2005, 05:58 AM

I also found it odd but I had had the same thing at the 4 Seasons in CM. Since this was never the case before and is part of the Oriental's redo I assume some people like it. As Carol said it must be a "thai thing". I don't believe all the new rooms at the Oriental have it because I don't think it was in my room two years ago.
Dec 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM
sandi

I'm with two others - The Peninsula. The bathrooms are all inside rooms, though the shower stall has a glass door (which might be frosted half-way... maybe not, all clear); the commode is behind a frosted glass door. The overall bathroom with two spearate vanities/sinks and large tub is just so nice and llllaaaarrrrgggggee! Oh, just plan BIG! And we were in a standard room which is actually a Jr. Suite. All rooms face the river.

Consider this.

Dec 25th, 2005, 06:21 PM

i think we have been told that these new "windows" allow for the person in the tub for a soaking to feel part of the larger room....sort of an "experience"....i'll stick with privacy!!
Dec 25th, 2005, 06:39 PM

The one bedroom suite at the Peninsula have a second toilet/washroom off the foyer that has a long window that looks out over the river. It does have good wooden louvre shutters so it can be very private but if you want you can sit and watch the world go by on the river. Guess if they have binoculars they can watch you at you business too!!!!
Dec 25th, 2005, 07:02 PM

Aha, now I know why I saw those people on the river looking through there binoculars at the Peninsula. I thought they where bird-viewers !!

Steve
Dec 25th, 2005, 07:55 PM

I didn't like that feature either when I stayed there in Aug 2005 although I was the only person in the room. Happy Travels!
Dec 26th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Well, we arrived back in BKK at the Oriental. It was a shame about the weather on Samui, but with so much rain we were limited with what to do! Our room at the Oriental had already been pre-paid so we were committed.

The room we requested was a double, non-smoking, away from the lifts. The room we were allocated was a smoking, opposite the lifts! The second room had 2 single beds! We can't seem to win! And of course, there was the glass panel next to the toilet!

But, this is our first time to BKK and we are excited to be here, so it will have to do.

Most of my research has come from the posters on Fodors so armed with so much information we will be exploring for the next 5 days.

Tonight, we are having peking duck at the China House! At some point during our stay, we will try to get to the Siam Ocean World after reading about it very recently on here!

So much to do, so little time!

I'll do a trip report when we get home - if I can remember everything!

AP
Dec 26th, 2005, 05:20 PM

AP---i am curious why you got such inferior rooms at the oriental?? did you book through a discount agent or just where did you book?...did you book the cheapest room??

also did you express your discontent to the management, especially since you had made specific requests...??

for a great 5 * hotel this does not sound like they are listening???
Dec 26th, 2005, 05:54 PM

I am assuming that since it is x-mas/new years, they are all sold out and not offering upgrades...
Dec 27th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi rhkkmk, I booked it through an agent at home in the UK and they are allocated "superior river wing rooms". I didn't book all my trip through an agent, just the Thailand part, I booked everything else myself (we did Australia first). Unfortunately we had to pre-pay the Thai hotel rooms, which meant we can't get a refund on the room we had on Samui. Understandable I suppose as its peak season.

I haven't mentioned my displeasure yet though! Breakfast was disappointing too.

We did have a great peking duck dinner at the China House.

AP