The Old Hong Kong Hilton - What now ?

Jun 8th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

The Old Hong Kong Hilton - What now ?

Years ago I used to enjoy that hotel that has now disppeared from Hong Kong Island. I have stayed at the Conrad and it's OK but, .... Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel on the island with good harbour views and very good deals for a three day stay in September ?
Jun 8th, 2004, 06:42 PM

The site of the old Hilton is now the Cheung Kong Center.

The Conrad is only OK? What's wrong with it? Well, you can try the Island Shangri-La next door, the new Ritz-Carlton; or how about the Mandarin Oriental? Those are the top hotels in the Central district.

I don't know about deals, though.
Jun 8th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

I there not anything new apart from those and the Excelsior ? I guess I would pick the Island Shangri-La if their rates are good. The Mandarin is now very old I think ?
Jun 9th, 2004, 07:25 AM

The Ritz-Carlton is pretty new. The Mandarin-Oriental is built in the 60's I believe, but it's very well kept as one of the two flagships of the luxurious Mandarin-Oriental chain.

Economy has been bad since late 1997, and therefore very few new developments. The newest so-called "5 star" property is the Le Meridien at Cyberport in the SW side of Hong Kong Island. Good rate too, but extremely inconvenient. Or you can try the older Grand Hyatt at the Convention Center - still not as convenient as the Conrad or Island Shangri-La.

There are a couple of newer hotels in Causeway Bay/Tin Hau, but those are 3-star properties.
Jun 9th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information that you have provided. It appears to me that the Conrad is probably the best deal taking all things into account. Rates at Shangri La appear much higher. I stayed there many years ago and remember the wonderful internal mural. The breakfast at the Conrad I remember well. Two of the great features of the old Hong Kong Hilton were the elevator operators and the Junk which I think was called the Wan Fu. I remeber taking my family on a very memorable trip around the Island on that Junk.
Jun 9th, 2004, 06:11 PM

Steve - One more hotel I forgot to mention. The Marriott, which is also in Pacific Place, next to the Conrad and Shangri-La. It's a shorter building, and probably not as luxurious as the other two, but may also have a good rate.

I used to walk by the Hilton almost daily when I was in highschool. Had eaten at the cafe on ground floor, called "Catwalk" or "Cat Street" I believe, only. And I believe I know the Chinese-style junk you're talking about.
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Yes there was Cat Street and Espresso as well as the main restaurant upstairs. Let me know if you find out whether Wan Fu still does trips around the Island or if you know of a similar Junk. I love the nostagic side of Hong Kong - Jimmys Kitchen etc etc oh and the Red Pepper in Kowloon - I visited there frequently 25 years ago. Always loved to stay on the Island commute to Kowloon by Star Ferry, walk around the Peak and bushwalk to Aberdeen etc etc.