Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

The Fate of Animals in Tsunami stricken areas..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<i> I have wondered what happened to all of the animals living in these areas. I had heard that many had felt something and moved inland, but then this morning I read this story. In all the sadness, I thought this was a bit of a comfort in all the stories of loss. Although the loss of people is almost more than one can comprehend.
This is from Reuters</i>
&quot;A handful of tourists have Thai elephants, and their apparent animal sense for disaster, to thank for their lives.
The animals felt the most powerful earthquake in 40 years and sensed the tsunamis coming, their keepers said. They began to trumpet inconsolably, making a sound akin to crying, disobeyed orders to calm down and ran off to the safety of high ground. &quot;

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:10 PM

I also heard on the news that the animals in Sri Lanka's wildlife refuges also all survived!
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:49 PM

Sadly a woman who helped feed the dogs on the beach was killed at Nai Harn. I have heard stories that animals ran - off before, sensing something 'was up' though I have not heard that confirmed.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:30 AM

I also found this to be incredible. Animals definitely sense these events before we know anything is happening ourselves. I know from my own experience when enduring an earthquake or tremor, my dog begins barking and whining into the air minutes before the tremor actually strikes.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 02:14 PM

I read reports today that aid agencies believe that many of the tribes people on the Nicobar and Andaman islands may have survived because they took heed of warnings from animals and fled to higher ground before the waves hit.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Hello Fodorites...though many wild animals managed to escape to higher ground thousands of domestic animals are now starving on the streets as their owners may have been lost. Some animals remain tied up and are dying where they stand for lack of food and drinking water. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is posting a link on it's site to donate directly to help animal victims of the tsunami

www.bestfriends.com

Pradeep Nath of the Visakha SPCA of southern India is caring for hundreds of cows and, with his volunteers and staff, is feeding all the stranded dogs and other animals in twenty devastated villages.
http://www.ahimsatx.org/india/visakha/

In Phuket, Thailand, the Soi Dog Foundation is providing enormous quantities of food to hundreds of dogs, some who've lost their people, and others who used to rely on handouts from restaurants that have now been washed away. A founder of Soi Dog died in the tsunami while helping others, and some of their volunteers have died or been injured.

http://www.soidogrescue.org/

Of course we sent to the red cross as well, but an extra $20.00 will go along way to help all of these poor creatures and the people struggling to care for them...

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the info, Thyra, because I would like to make a donation to help the animals affected by this tragedy as well.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 05:02 AM

This is wonderful. Thank you. We just made a donation through Best Friends.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:20 AM

That is terrific news, Ericka and Statia, I am sure that your donations will go a long way to helping all the creatures who are suffering from this horrible disaster!
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the information. I just made a contribution to best friends and have emailed Soi Dog rescue to see how I can contribute to them directly. If anyone knows, please pass along the information.

Thanks.