Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thanksgiving in Bangkok (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thanksgiving-in-bangkok-815753/)

Nywoman Nov 26th, 2009 04:17 PM

Thanksgiving in Bangkok

Bolan lost out in favor of the Pickled Liver. Ken from Hawaii and I had a date to celebrate Thanksgiving at Bolan. The more we heard about it the less appealing it sounded. It seems as if the food is more show than substance. We certainly made the right decision Maeng had prepared a roast chicken for Dr. Jack, Ken and myself, we were joined by an Englishman named Erik. She also served Penang Chicken, with Roti and Garlic Shrimp. It was quite the feast, Ken had brought a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, which we augmented with more wine from the bar.

Last Thursday of the month is Quiz night, we were the Fodor's team and distinguished ourselves by coming in last. This was despite the fact that we had one of the waitresses match up the Thai kings with his correct picture. We did get the booby prize a bottle of Scotch.

This was certtianly one of the better Thanksgiving dinners, which we all agreed on, with totally delighful company, and lots of laughs. It was fun meeting some of the people that I had heard so much about, especially Dr. Jack who is quite a remarkable man.

Maeng and I have a date for Thai food on Sunday night. Will get my Myanmar report finished soon.

BradinBangkok Nov 26th, 2009 07:27 PM

Fanny,
Glad you made it back to the PL. Maeng remembered you, didn't she?

Her food is amongst the best in Bangkok. And quiz night is a blast. Mom, MichaelBkk, and I had a Fodorite team about a month ago. I think we got 3rd or 4th?

Mom will be happy you & Ken stopped in to see Maeng again. Tell her we will be back soon.

Bolan is good, but not as good as Thanksgiving Dinner at PL.

Kathie Nov 26th, 2009 09:06 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun. I always consider it a good thanksgiving if I'm in Bangkok!

ekscrunchy Nov 27th, 2009 03:26 AM

Fanny glad you are having a blast! When are you coming back? The dinner club is clamoring to meet you!

simpsonc510 Nov 27th, 2009 03:35 AM

Reading the PL dinner report with absolute delight! SOOOO glad you decided to return, NYwoman and Ken. Maeng is, indeed, the best cook in BKK (rhe *real* thing). I'm glad she prepared a special meal for you. And I'm glad you two have a date on Sunday. Enjoy!

Re: Dr Jack... he is one in a million! So glad you got to meet him. Now you have local friends... they will remember you the next time you are in BKK, I can assure you! This is part of the reason I keep returning!

Carol (posting from Zurich)

BradinBangkok Nov 27th, 2009 12:49 PM

Dr. Jack is one of the most interesting people I have ever met anywhere, let alone BKK.

simpsonc510 Nov 29th, 2009 06:10 AM

NYwoman, hoping your Thai dinner went well with Maeng. I am assuming you are maybe done by now? Where did you go? Was it the place Maeng suggested, when we were together at the PL?

How much longer are you in Thailand? Do enjoy your time!

Carol

simpsonc510 Nov 29th, 2009 06:11 AM

I intended to say something about quiz night. It is fun, isn't it!! Glad you gave it a good try. It is every Thursday night, by the way. Maybe you can go once more!
C