Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thanks to All! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thanks-to-all-780423/)

mcbeanie Apr 21st, 2009 12:18 PM

Thanks to All!

In traveling to Thailand several times in the past several years, I have received many valuable and useful tips from other Fodorites. I can always count on Carol to steer me to the best hotels (we seem to like the same ones) and the good shopping places. Bob, you have suggested some wonderful restaurants, and also thanks to taking your advice, I am having to work-out at the gym several days a week. But it was worth it!

My DH and I recently watched "Bridget's Sexiest Beaches" on the Travel Channel, -- Pattaya. It might have been a wonderful introduction to Pattaya if it weren't for Bridget -- what an airhead -- and her main vocabulary seemed to be "WOW!" This, however, is IMHO! But Pattaya dropped way down on the places to visit on our next trip because of this program.

However, thanks KhunWilco, for your lengthy and informative post on Pattaya. I am sure there are some here who will disagree with what you said; but, because of your post, Pattaya has now risen much higher on our list of places to visit. It may even be on our next visit! BTW, we are not "spring chickens." We are not interested in several things that you mentioned, but it does give us an idea of what to expect and to let us "pick and choose."

Again, thanks Everyone, for your help and good ideas -- some taken and enjoyed; others rejected -- given through the past years. Each of us offers his/her own experiences on each subject. That's what makes this forum interesting!

Sandra (McBeanie)

mcbeanie Apr 21st, 2009 12:24 PM

Whoops! I didn't think my previous post made it on the board, so you may see a duplicate posting.

Then, again, maybe saying "Thank You" for the various advice I have received from Fodorites is worth repeating.

Sandra (McBeanie)

AskOksena Apr 21st, 2009 01:29 PM

Thank you for the opening post, Sandra.

(And if memory serves, you were contemplating flying with those sensational Singapore Girls, ex-IAH-DME-SIN-BKK.) If not this year, well, they are waiting for you at various airports.

Fun future travel, perhaps with that special airline.

macintosh (robert)

... In this ever changing world, Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly ...

mcbeanie Apr 21st, 2009 04:03 PM

Robert -- What a memory you have! Yes, we had our reservations on Sin to BKK, via Moscow and Singapore in January. But, with the political situation at that time, we canceled our trip. Things seem to improve in BKK and then they change again. Maybe one of these days we will get back. We have already been several times and it is one of the few places we look forward to seeing repeatedly.

Instead, this fall we are going to Egypt. I am looking forward to this, too, but am waiting until the last minute to finalize the trip, as Egypt is prone to upheaval, too. I have already checked SIN for a flight, but no luck. Looks like it will be Continental and British/Midway this trip.

Anyway, thanks for remembering.

Sandra (McBeanie)

simpsonc510 Apr 21st, 2009 04:06 PM

Sawasdee kah, mcbeanie! Thank you for the kind words about my hotel/shopping advice. I try to tell it like I see it.

I just checked back into the Adelphi Suites on soi 8 about 7 hours ago... I'm back in BKK. I'm going to start a new trip thread.

Re: Pattaya.. DH, DS and a friend, and I spent two nights for News Years Eve there, at the end of 2008. DH says it is a place he would like to explore further. We did not venture very far from our hotel, which was right along the beach road. I can see that there would be some shopping options that I might enjoy... We will probably go back at some point in the future. It isn't at the top of our list of places to revisit. We really like Phuket.

Carol

khunwilko Apr 21st, 2009 06:39 PM

If you want to splash out on food - (allbeit rather bland)
Western Food: -
Bruno's
Mata Hari
Mantra.
Manhattan

Thai food - (toned down for Western tastes a bit)
Ruen Thai
Sugar Hut
Birds and Bees - (also one of the best resorts in Pattaya)

Seafood - good Thai style seafood - very full at week-ends and Thai holidays.
Preecha - Ban Amphoe - about 10 km down the coast.
"Doi" - next to Preecha

rhkkmk Apr 22nd, 2009 12:29 PM

my pleasure....don´´t expect much from pattaya....jontiem is much nicer, but not great either...