Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thailand with small kids - entire week in Bangkok or add in a beach or?

Old Nov 4th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all - after the rousing success of my last post, in which we were recommended the Raffles in Singapore for a long weekend and had the anniversary trip of a lifetime, I'm asking for advice for a trip next April.

We haven't exactly been intrepid travelers since having kids, but as a family we have survived a long weekend in Delhi & Agra, 2 long haul flights back to the US, and a few stays in Goa, so we're ready to venture further afield. So Thailand in April?

Parameters: 2 adults, 2 kids (3 and 5). One week. Late April (we are bound by a school calendar). Budget is flexible, but the vision is less than US$500 each for flights from India and avg < $250 a night. Less is better, or course. We don't want to deal with more than 2 destinations.

Looking at past threads, it looks like the Anantara (formerly Marriott) is the place to be with kids in Bangkok. We're discussing either spending the week there, and allowing for a few days where we just stay close to the pool, or pushing through 3 days of solid touristing in Bangkok and then heading to Phuket or similar for the rest of the week.

I realize a lot of this has to do with personal preferences, but has anyone done this? Thoughts? We're open to other suggestions w/in SE Asia as well.

Thanks
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Meant to add that I realize that this isn't an ideal time to be asking about Thailand! We are optimistic that the situation will have improved by April.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 11:46 AM

Hi there...I recommend splitting the time (Bangkok is an amazing city but can be tiring) and the beach destinations will be a welcome respite. We spent four days in Ko Lanta at a family friendly beach resort with various activities. We really liked it. www.lalaanta.com
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 12:13 PM

JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa, Phuket, Mai Khao Beach, Thailand ... The Kids Club has educational programs for children on the turtles. As part of its ...

www.phuket.com/marriott/kids.htm

usually can snag this place from $80 bidding priceline.com

betterbidding.com good bidding site still get club floor

upgrades as a preferred guest a simply awesome place.

travelforkids.com/thailand good tips

Have fun!
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM

Splitting your time is a good idea, since you are travelling with kids. I just stayed at the J W on Mai Khao beach. Quo is right. It is a beautiful property. I got upgraded to a suite. It was gorgeous! Plenty of room for you and the kids.

My only concern would be that you'd have to either rent a car or else depend on taxi service to get anywhere off property for meals/shopping of any kind. This place is not walking distance to anywhere. If you don't mind having all meals on-site, you might be fine. The breakfast buffet location also serves lunch and dinner meals. There is also a Thai restaurant on the property. If it were me, I'd want a car though.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 12:48 PM

Another option for you would be to drive down/or get a driver to take you to Hua Hin (or take the train). No flights required. It would no doubt be a less expensive option for you.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 01:03 PM

I guess the answer depends on how much time you want to spend traveling. If you want to just settle in and relax, staying at the Anantara in Bangkok the whole time would be fine. It has a resort-type feel to it, and it's removed enough from the city to feel relaxing.

You certainly can fly from Bangkok to Phuket, but it's another flight and much of a day from checking our of one place and getting settled in Phuket. Hua Hin is another option, and since it's a drive rather than a flight it has fewer hassles. In Hua Hin, I'd recommend the Hyatt. It's a lovely place and it has a kids club.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all - this was really helpful. Hua Hin does look very prospective - does anyone recall how long the drive was? Was it scenic? After 2 years in India, we've gotten used to be driven everywhere, but maybe renting a car and driving ourselves would be a good change!
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 08:14 PM

I wouldn't call the drive to Hua Hin scenic. It was about 2.5 hours. We used a car and driver rather than driving ourselves.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 12:09 AM

As Kathie says te drive is around 2.5 hours and not especially scenic. If you do decide to drive yourself then it is probably best to rent the car from the airport rather than central BKK so as to avoid the traffic in the city.

Not sur that I would choose Hua Hin with kids. The beaches are not that great and these days it has become a bit of a retirement haven for people from Northern Europe and so is not paticularly representative of the best of Thailand and is not, IMO particularly geared towards children.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again!