Thailand vs Vietnam

May 7th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thailand vs Vietnam

I will be traveling the last 2 weeks of June and want to make the most of my time in one of these two countries. I definitely prefer a more authentic, off the beaten path, cultural experience over touristy and group tours. I would like to spend 4-5 days rock climbing on this trip as well. In an ideal situation I would spend 2 nights here and there actually staying with a tribe or a local and being a part of the daily routine, contributing. Would love any thoughts, tips, references, ideas.
Thank you,

Kirsten
May 7th, 2013, 06:36 PM

If you want to be more off the tourist track, consider Laos instead.
May 8th, 2013, 06:54 PM

I think you can try Fanxipan VietNam. Highest mountain in indochina.
May 9th, 2013, 05:28 AM

Check out the weather in both locations in June as this could be a determining factor. "Off the beaten path" is increasingly difficult to find in Thailand and staying with a local "tribe" is unlikely to provide the non touristy experience you are seeking. I haven't a clue about rock climbing but believe there is a lot going on around the karats of Phang Nga bay idown Phuket way.

If you really want to get off the tourist path then as Kathie suggests, take a look at Laos, particularly the far north where there are still relatively unspoilt minority villages that will welcome you. Muang Sing and Phongsali would be good starting points.

All this sort of information is more readily available on http://www.travelfish.org/

Search this Thread