Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia Trip help. (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-vietnam-cambodia-trip-help-490066/)

SFBAtraveler Dec 9th, 2004 01:19 PM

Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia Trip help.

I am interested in going to theres three contries and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what to see, where to stay that is affordable and where to eat and shop. Any help and hints would be appreciated! Thank You!

Kathie Dec 9th, 2004 02:37 PM

There are plenty of people on this board who can be helpful to you, but you need to provide us with more information. What specific places in those countries to you plan to visit? How long are you going to stay? What are your interests? What is your price range?

SFBAtraveler Dec 13th, 2004 01:12 PM

Ooops Sorry. I was intreested in Bangkok, Ho Chi Mihn City and Sen Reip. Sorry I know my spelling is off. Has anyone used Intrepid Travel?

Kathie Dec 13th, 2004 03:02 PM

Sorry, more questions: How long do you have? Do you just want those three cities? What is your budget?

I don't use tours, but some on this board do. Be aware that you can always do it for less yourself, but some people prefer for someone else to put things together for them.

MatthewDean Dec 13th, 2004 05:02 PM

Kathie...Hello.

You seem knowledgable about Thailand. Any ideas about what locations to fly out of the US to Thailand? Cheapest flights? Or just your opinion would safice. Many Thanks.

bakpakr Dec 13th, 2004 06:26 PM

Bangkok - at the Buddy Lodge you can stay for ~ $30/night in the backpacker area (by far the most fun) but in a civilized place (some in this area a bit sparce).

HCMC - Dong Khai and the immediate area has everything you need for food and shopping - for a splurge go to the Friday night all you can eat and drink buffet at the Sofitel - in 2002 you could eat like a king for $20. Lemongrass is also good for traditional fare adn there is a great gelato place - maybe called Fanny's (it is probably the only gelato place in HCMC). Also, don't miss the famous pho shop (off the beaten path a bit but it is in all guidebooks) where all the GIs ate during the Vietnam War.

Kathie Dec 13th, 2004 06:28 PM

Matthew, the west coast is less expensive to fly from that other locations in the US, but it almost always works out cheapest to buy your whole ticket at once (that is, a flight from your home to the nearest gateway to Bangkok) rather than buying it by segments. Exactly which gateway to choose depends upon your preferred airline. If you have frequent flier status on one, it usually pays to use that one when you fly transpacific.

In my experience, I can find the cheapest tickets on the airline's website. I know that there are people who swear by Orbitz, but I have often found that their lowest price is more than double the price I find on my own. (They also do lots of airline changes enroute. Aeroflot, anyone?) I also find Travelocity and Expedia more expensive, but not as bad as Orbitz.

I'd suggest you start a new post, and let us know where you need to fly from. Plenty of people on this board are knowledgable and can offer suggestion.

travelduo Dec 13th, 2004 06:39 PM

We used the Thai Fly website with their live chat feature and that was great! We flew out of Kansas City on american to NRT then to Bkk on Thai Air and that is the BEST airline I have ever been on! The RT ticket was $725! Bangkok was awesome!!!!!! going back soon for a wedding i just found out today! BKK has so many hotels to choose from really need to know what kind of place you are looking for?

SFBAtraveler Dec 14th, 2004 08:55 AM

Hi Everyone! I was thinking of going for 2 weeks total. I want thing that are affordable. Maybe between 1500 - 2000 USD for all air and hotel. I primarily want to go to Bangkok/Ho Chi Minh/Sem Reip. I don't have to be guided but thought it might be convenient.

Has anyone used Intrepid Travel?

Kathie Dec 14th, 2004 11:57 AM

Ok, you can do three locations in two weeks. You'll need to decide how to divide your time. The minumum time to see all the major temples at Angkor is considered to be 3 full days. Some people are satisfied with less, some people need more. HCMC you can see in a few days, Bangkok you can spend lots of time and still have a long list of this to do next trip.

There is no reason to do a tour. All of these locations are easy (and cheaper) on your own. Some people like a guide (as well as a driver) for Angkor.

The price you list for hotels and air, does that include your trans-pacific air or just your flights within Asia? Generally, it's cheapest to fly into and out of Bangkok. You could then fly in a circle, Bangkok, Siem Reap, HCMC, Bangkok.

alice13 Dec 15th, 2004 01:35 AM

Why don't you do a little more research yourself? Air fare prices - check the web. Living expenses - buy a guide book or get one from the local library.

Is your stated budget exclusive or inclusive of what it will cost you to get there?

Neil_Oz Dec 15th, 2004 12:26 PM

To me the main HCMC attractions are out of town. You can book day tours to the Cu Chi Tunnels, Mekong Delta, Cao Dai temple at a travel agent when you get there. alice13 is right - the advice you'll get here (including many previous posts accessed via the search function) can be helpful and is certainly free, but is not in itself a replacement for a decent guide book and other research. You may also care to check www.lonelyplanet.com (Thorn Tree forum) for info from younger travellers.

elr Dec 15th, 2004 04:37 PM

hi,
my colleage has used Intrepid, and has been happy with them. However, after returning from a month trip to Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and 1.5 days in BKK, I can safely say that you do not need guides for HCMC and BKK, however, a guide for the temples is helpful.

I also need to add that I budgeted 3 full days for the temples, but by the 3rd day, I, and 3 of the 4 people I was travelling with could see no more!

anyway, I will wait to see some of your specific questions and help where I can. You also should consider posting this on virtualtourist.com

good luck.