COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thailand Trip report: a tale of eating, shopping and meeting the terrible two (Bob & Gpanda)

Thailand Trip report: a tale of eating, shopping and meeting the terrible two (Bob & Gpanda)

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Just returned from a 12 day trip to Thailand and thought i would do a bit of a trip report as i have gotten so much help from here. This trip wasn't as extensive as last year and i will mention now that we were rather lazy ( we have both had a VERY busy year so we wanted to relax). I will just highlight a few of the places we went (probably restuarants or shops) and hope it helps:

We flew Business class on Eva air from LHR.
as last year i really do think this is fantastic value for money. for just a few hundred punds more that BA's world traveller plus (38" pitch) we got a tilt seat (61" pitch) good food and service and all the usual business class benefits. Would definately recommend (these are newly equiped 777's)
Our trip was to consist of 12 nights 6 in Hua Hin and then 6 in BKK

Ok so we arrive in BKK and the immigration lines were VERY short thru in about 15 minutes. A short wait for our bags (about 20 mins) and then out to the confusion of the arrivals hall. I have to say it is very small but there were plenty of people on hand to help us find AAC limos. We had booked them to take us straight to Hua hin. I think the return costs was about 6300 bht. I would say the service was ok, car going was an oldish merc, the car coming back was newer. We weren't offered any water or towels but this wouldnt stop me using them again as i found them reliable and professional (and i like to have things prebooked)

Hotel at HH was the Hyatt Regency Club room. NOW when i booked this i KNEW there was construction but i specifically emailed them to be as far away from the construction as possible (whilst still being in the club section) they responded that this would be ok and that they were only doing internal work.... PHEW. As we arrived at 7.30pm on a sunday night it was dark and quiet. I quite liked the room (Bob will mention they were small but we were ok with this as they had balconies - LOVE to have a balcony) the bathrooms are lovely. Anyway the club pool area is very nice and not too crowded (compared to the main hotel pools - although to be fair these weren't to bad) however the Hyaat club definately felt more exclusive (thanks to Kathie and JamesA for the recomedation) However the next day when i go outside in the light i see we are RIGHT NEXT TO construction!! and they continue hammering etc to gone 8.30pm!!! and we could clearly hear it in our room. The bf speaks to reception and she wants to transfer us to a room in the main part of the hotel because they dont have any others available, this is not acceptable to us and then miraculously she finds another room with STUNNING views of the lagoon and the sea (we snap it up - and remain VERY pleased with it ) oh and it was above Bobs room!!
Anyway the first night we ate dinner at the Thai in the hotel. The BF and i both found this excellent quality and i was suprised at how good value it was for a hotel restuarant. Sure, its dearer than the ones in town but not the marked difference that is in say BKK! we then listened to the singer in the fountain lounge and then went up the road to Sasi bar and watched a thai band play till around 2 am. GREAT first night.

Ok so am going to change tak here and just right a synopsis of the places we ate (cause all we did in the day was laze round the lovely pool)
Restuarants we ate at in HH
LETS SEA - trying to hard, food Ok service so so

SUPATRA - EXCELLENT we went twice, first time with Bob and Karen and this was the best meal of our trip (oh and the company was excellent we had a fantastic time)Beautiful setting right by the large Golden Buddha and service was very very good. For comparison we also tried the one in BKK (more on that later)They also have there own tuk tuk service. BOTH meals at this resturant we fantstic and excellent value for money.

CHOA LAY - recommended by the hotel, one of the restuarants right over the sea on stilts, fantastic value. we had SEVEN dishes including the most fantstic Groupar in sweet and sour chilli sauce, several beers all for about 1300 bht.

LA MER - again fantastic fish, felt very rustic and we were te only farangs i there at that time again about 1200bht for several dishes. my only criticism is that you need to have details of a cab/drier to come and collect you as they didnt seem to have any numbers (which we thought was strange)

We also went for cocktails at a little bar called Monsoon (just down from Chao lay) EXCELLENT value cocktails and we both really like the vibe of the place - if we had had another night we would have eaten here (there is a restuarant upstairs) they also have a few things for sale from their shop and i bought a lovely bangle with silver edges for about 600ht

We wondered thru HH and stopped at a few bars here and there all pretty much standard tourists fair but good value. We got around HH mainly in the Hyatts car (am sure Bob will mention that) or Tuk Tuks. Visited a couple of the night markets and i found the new HH market village not really for us. HOWEVER we both liked HH as it was easy to get around, great proximity to BKK and good value.
The Hyatt Club i would recommend (just be firm if construction is still going on) and whilst you do pay extra for the club rooms (you get breakfast, use of the club pool and canapes and free drinks 5 till 7.) MF and i felt it was worth it for the relative peace and quiet at the pool alone. The Hyatt is a beautifull property with STUNNING grounds right on a beach. We would recommed for sure. Dont let the (slightly) out of town location put you off) I think we will return to HH.
We also met Bob and Karen here for the first time. It was so nice to finally meet them, especially after all the great advice i have received and we had a really great time.
Anyway more later......
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Great start! I look forward to hearing more.

I'm glad you enjoyed being in the Club rooms at the Hyatt. Too bad about the construction, but it sounds like you took care of it quickly.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Very interesting, but at what point on the trip did BF become MF and how did it happen?
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I also would like to hear how david morhed from a BF to an MF. Unless MF is an abbreviation for David's pseudonym. But perhaps I'm getting ahead of the story.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Gpanda
You know very well what MF is!!!!!!! It was Bob that gave him the name AND you very kindly informed tong!!!!!!
BTW agree with your assesment of Cyan but then i am getting ahead of my stort....
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Foreshadowing is a common literary device amongst skilled authors. You're building the suspense. Tong who? I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

see i have a lot to learn from you...
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Ps send my regards to your lovely wife.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:58 PM

You and David should feel honored. Beth thought you were both quite entertaining, as did I. Naturally, Beth has much higher standards.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

well we appreciate the compliment. Bob's trying to get us to come to the Boston GTG next year so maybe we can all catch up again, which would be lots of fun (no need for a private dining room they must all be used to you guys by now!!!)
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Normally, I would recommend avoiding any suggestion of Bob's, but the GTG's have been lots of fun. Boston yearns for David's presence.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

yeah then he would have yet more people to tell his lookey likey story too!!!!

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 02:30 PM

It's too good to miss. I have told it several times on his behalf, but with none of his panache.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 04:09 AM

S-we are waiting with baited breath for another installment. Jet Lag is no excuse.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

i know i know i just got home from work (nearly 10pm here) and am so tired. I will finish it this weekend latest i promise...
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 07:55 PM

and yes i too have my eyes held open with tooth picks tonight for more reporting....great start...

meeting you and 'MF' was one of the highlights of our trip and i would not exchange our fun time at cy'an for anything.... i am just glad that we had the private room or we might all be now sitting in a bkk jail for the insane.... and just imagine if you went there for a quiet evening and had to sit next to the six of us???

at least they would not be able to say those ugly americans as the group was only 2/3rds american....

i hope to start my trip report this weekend and i will try to fill in the holes you have left for me...

i am anxious to see your reactions to tong and the day with her...

bob