Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thailand trip in March with toddler ... any advise will help ... Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Krabi

Search

Thailand trip in March with toddler ... any advise will help ... Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Krabi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Thanks in advance for sharing advise and expertise.
We are travelling to Thailand for the first time and reach Bangkok on March 2nd in the afternoon. We will be travelling with year 1 and half year old toddler.

I am looking for guidance on where to stay, what do do etc.
We have done our research and decided that we want to stay in Bangkok for at least 3-4 days. We are planning on staying in a hotel in Siam Square - Ratchaprasong in Bangkok (any recommendations would be welcome). We want to take a flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai on Thursday March 6 (Afternoon) or Friday early morning (March 7).

We want to visit the night market in Chiang Mai, and an elephant camp. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Is the Sunday night market a must see in Chiang Mai?

Next we are planning on travelling to Krabi on either Sunday March 9 or Monday March 10. We want to stay in Ao Nang area and visit phi phi island and riliay beach. Are two full days enough in Krabi?

We have to be back in Bangkok for Thursday March 13 as our flight leaves March 14 at 1 AM.

I have done research and found cheap fares on AirAsia and Nokair. I am trying to find a travel agent to get quotes for hotels and airfare though but I haven't had any luck yet.

Would you be able to recommend a travel agent? Should we do all bookings ourselves?

Should we book tours in each of these locations or wait until we reach the hotel and then book the tours?

any help is greatly appreciated,

thanks again for sharing your wisdom and helping us out,

Hope you have a wonderful day

Divya
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Some additional details,
We want to visit the temples in Bangkok, watch Siam Niramit, visit the floating markets, take a river cruise, and do anything else that you might be able to recommend.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 08:56 AM

I've never used an agent to book things in Thailand - no need, really. And an agent can't get you better prices on Air Asia or Nok Air. It sounds like your time in Thailand is pretty limited. Especially with a toddler, fewer stops and longer stays is better.

Bangkok has endless things to see and do. Consult a good guide book, and use public transport whenever possible. The skytrain and the water taxis on the river are great ways to get around.

If you want to visit an elephant camp, choose one of the two that we know treat elephants humanely: the Thai Elephant Conservation Center at Lampang or the Elephant Nature Park. Avoid all of the heavily advertised commercial set-ups.

I consider Doi Suthep, outside of Chiang Mai a must-see. If you've not visited markets in SE Asia, you'll probably enjoy the night market, but it is mostly tourist junk. I find the Sunday market little different from the night market.

For hotel booking, use the "usual suspects" like agoda.com or try the Thai booking site, www.sawasdee.com or book directly with the hotel.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 09:03 AM

thais love kids..

why do you want to stay in the siam area?

get hotel prices directly from hotels on line
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Where would you recommend that we stay in Bangkok area
Siam area looked like a central area

We booked hotels in Chiang mai and krabi using adoga
Thanks
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 12:22 PM

Can you give a budget for your BKK hotel, there are a few around the area I would recommend but they are differing prices.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 12:23 PM

I'd recommend you stay along the river. Easy access to major tourist sites via water taxi and hotel shuttle boat to the Skytrain.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 03:31 PM

March is not a good month in Chiang Mai or Northern Thailand as I consider that to be in the middle of the "burning" season. Lots of smoke and the air quality is often very bad, especially for young ones.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 03:32 PM

March is not a good month in Chiang Mai or Northern Thailand as I consider that to be in the middle of the "burning" season. Lots of smoke and the air quality is often very bad, especially for young ones.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Smeagol we were looking to spend around 600 to 700 maximum with breakfast included
We want to stay there from March 2 to March 7, 5 nights
Hanuman we initially were thinking against Hong to chiang mai but we really want to take my daughter to see the elephants and experience northern Thailand as I don't think we will ever go back
Thanks Kathie, I will look for hotels along the river
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 09:45 PM

Dollars ? ( US)
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Yes
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 05:17 AM

Hanuman is right, I wouldn't take a small child to Chiang Mai in March. (I wouldn't take me to Chiang Mai in March!)
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 06:15 AM

If it were me, I would book a serviced apartment in Bangkok. It will give you MUCH more room than a hotel. Look at Adelphi Suites on Sukhumvit soi 8. It is very family friendly. Also, Column on Sukhumvit soi 16, although it is not nearly so handy to the skytrain as is Adelphi. I also would not stay in SIAM area.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 06:29 AM

Check out the Anatara- its a great resort on the river, it has the best pool in BKK and the hotel boat will take you to the sky train and Asiatique which is a nice evening venue for shopping, restaurants, etc. Its very kid friendly as well.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 12:14 PM

For your generous budget of $600 -700 per night I would look at the peninsula on the river, a lovely luxurious hotel and ( for me) one of the best on the river.
If you want to stay IN town and close to a sky train etc, the four seasons or the St Regis are in a great location and you would be able to find a room easily within your budget
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much,
I will look at all the recommendations,
I really am thankful for all the input,
Smeagol the budget was for all 5 nights,
I wish we could afford $600-$700 per night ...
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 05:49 AM

Oh sorry Relic...... Anyway there are some great properties in Bangkok for all budgets. A sure you will find something amazin!