Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-trip-559139/)

firenz Sep 17th, 2005 03:17 PM

Thailand trip

WMy daugher (22 year old) and I will be in Thailand for about 7 days. We want to see Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I don't think there's enough time for a short beach trip, too. Would you recommend going on our own, hiring a private tour guide, or going with a group. Also, any recommendations of getting from Bankok to Chiang Mai?

laurieco Sep 17th, 2005 03:38 PM

You should go on your own. Once there, you can always hire a guide or river if you feel the need. The easiest way to Chiang Mai from BKK is to fly. Air Asia has very cheap flights.

There is definately not enough time for a beach. If you have 7 nights, I would spend four or five in Bkk and 2 or three in CM.

rhkkmk Sep 17th, 2005 05:54 PM

laurie has given her usual good advice...she means to hire a "driver" however...

i would spend all 7 days in and around bangkok...i would leave CM to another trip...

it is very easy to get around bangkok, but it is time consumming getting from one place to another....i use the skytrain where possible and taxis from there...taxis are very cheap...it would be unusual for a trip to cost $5....$1-2 is the average....

flying is the only way for you to include CM on this short trip...there are many airline options...

ratt in bangkok and her sister poon in chiang mai are good drivers to use:

[email protected]

selecting your hotel in bangkok is a key decision....many of us love to stay on the river...there are many choices there but they are generally costly....the marriott is at the lower cost end, then the sheraton orchid, then the shangri-la and then the peninsula and finally the oriental...

in town there are lots of places to choose from....and in all price ranges...let us know a price range and we can help you...a good website with tax and service and usually breakfast included is the hua hin site:

www.huahin.20m.com

take a look and then come back and ask us for more help

firenz Sep 17th, 2005 07:32 PM

Thanks so much for your reply! I am deciding between the Oriental and the Peninsula..leaning towards the Oriental.
I'm glad you said we can do this on our own without a tour. I prefer it that way but was just looking for some encouragement. Obviously it's our first trip to Asia. (I'm heading to Bangkkok after some business in Singapore.) I think making arrangements with Ratt ahead of time is a good idea, too.
Have any of you purchased business class tickets at a discount? How about biztravel.com?
Any other tips are welcome.
Thanks again.

Gpanda Sep 18th, 2005 02:05 AM

If you're going up to Chiang Mai, it's a short flight. Thai Airways has many daily flights. The budget carriers have fewer. In CM, a typical two day visit includes Doi Suthep ( a spectacular Wat), visits to Hill tribes (these can vary in how touristy they are, night market (I thinki over-rated) and shopping. Hotels can vary widely with the Four Seasons (an hour out of town) and the Oriental Mandarin at the top.

In BKK, I suggest that you not over plan your time. It's a wonderful city to experience.

laurieco Sep 18th, 2005 02:49 AM

Yes I did mean a driver!

glorialf Sep 18th, 2005 05:34 AM

I also agree with others that hiring Ratt would be an excellent idea. I also think you should skip the beach. Is there any way you could spend 9 or 10 days total? If you did you could spend 6 or 7 days in Bangkok and 3 days in Chiang Mai which would be perfect. Fly between the two places.

You will LOVE the Oriental -- it's my favorite place in the world.

glorialf Sep 18th, 2005 06:23 AM

The flight from Singapore to Bangkok is quite short. There's really no reason to fly business.

JamesA Sep 18th, 2005 09:37 AM

As Gloria said the flight from Singapore to Bangkok is short, 2 hrs 25 mins, if you fly on Singapore Airlines you get seatback TV, full meal service etc, great service and fares are just ultr-competative on the route as budget carriers doing the route, in addition to Singapore Airlines and Thai you have Cathay Pacific, Turkish, Swiss, Scandinavian (SAS), Finnair plus 3 budget airlines, also others i wouldn't recommend ( bangladesh Biman, Indian Airlines etc ).

For fare deals from Singapore a very good site is:

www.airfares.com.sg

Cathay is like SGD 160-200 return ( plus taxes I guess ) but that is very roughly USD 96-120 return or thereabouts, Thai is SGD 158 ( very roughly USD 97 )

If you want some beach then jump in a cab or limo, 2 hrs 30 gets to to Hua Hin, nice beachside hotels and resorts, plus lots of class resorts, Sofitel, Hyatt Regency, Anantara resort and Spa, Hilton, Marriott and others, in fact you can just cab from there straight back to the airport for the homeward flight, you can do Elephant Rides temples and things there too.

firenz Sep 18th, 2005 12:48 PM

Thanks again...I could not plan this trip without all of you who have taken the time to answer.
Re: Business ticket... I am flying from New York to Singapore for business and then on to Bangkok for a vacation. I will definitely fly economy between Singapore and BKK, but want to fly business from New York. So far, I've only heard of biztravel.com.
Also,,how does the beach at Hua Hin compare to Phuket?
Thanks again.

glorialf Sep 18th, 2005 01:35 PM

You're in Thailand for such a short time I really would skip the beach. It's a beach. Neither different not better than those a LOT closer to home. Bangkok and Chiang Mai are unique. If you were going to be in thailand for 2 weeks it might be different. Stick to Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Go to the beach closer to home. See and experience Thailand and you won't at a beach.