Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-trip-550185/)

DavRan Aug 8th, 2005 11:24 AM

Thailand Trip

Hello,

November is approaching and here is my itinerary. Suggestions are welcomed.

Nov. 8 Fly to Bangkok
Nov 9 Arrive in Bangkok
Nov 10. Explore Bangkok
Nov.11 Explore Bangkok
Nov. 12 Explore Bangkok
Nov 13. Floating Market and Explore Bangkok

Nov. 14 Fly to Mae Hong Son
Nov. 15 Mae Kong Son Trekking - private guide
Nov. 16 Mae Hong Son to Pai - private guide
Nov. 17 Pai to Mae Hong Son - private guide
Nov. 18 Chiang Mai - explore the city and night area

Now here is the QUESTION:
Nov 19/20 - should I go to Cambodia and see Angkor and the killing fields? I don't want 3 days of seeing RUINS...I know I don't want 3 days of seeing ruins. 1 day would be plenty. I am more of a people person.

OR

Nov 19/20 - Golden Triangle...

OR
just stay in Chinag Mai

then I continue to Phuket
Nov. 21 to Nov. 28

Nov. 28 (fly to Bangkok at 9 AM) - explore Bangkok
Nov. 29 Explore Bangkok
Nov. 30 Fly Back Home

Thanks,
David

Nov, 30

laurieco Aug 8th, 2005 11:35 AM

If seeing ruins isn't your thing, then I'd suggest skipping Cambodia. Spending one night each in PP and Siem Reap hardly seems worth the trip. You cannot do the Killing Fields from Siem Reap, you have to do it from PP. I would go to the Golden Triangle instead but I would knock a night off Phuket and add it to the Golden Triangle. Do you really need 7 nights in Phuket? Maybe you do but, quite frankly, I was bored with 3 nights there (but then again, I'm not a beach person, one day is enough for me).

glorialf Aug 8th, 2005 11:37 AM

If you're not a temple person and are more interested in people I would I would spend the two days in Chiang Mai.

glorialf Aug 8th, 2005 11:39 AM

I agree with laurie that 7 days seems like a lot for Phuket. if you can knock off a few days I'd do one more day in Chiang Mai and then maybe 2 0r 3 days in Chiang Rai. If you really want the 7 days in Phuket I would just stay in Chiang Mai.

DavRan Aug 8th, 2005 11:39 AM

Hi...well yes I am a beach person and plan to do a lot of diving, snorkling and sea kayaking ..as well as R&R...and I am getting the 7 nights on points.

I wouldn't mind a taste of the ruins. But I know I would get tired after 1 day.

glorialf Aug 8th, 2005 11:42 AM

it isn't worth it for 1 day with your limited time in my opinion. Stay in Chiang Mai

DavRan Aug 8th, 2005 11:43 AM

Has anybody every visited..Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Pai, Chiand Rai..with Trekking...? How long would it take?

laurieco Aug 8th, 2005 11:43 AM

I should add that perhaps you may want to stay in CM since you will be doing some trekking already in Northern Thailand and CM will be somewhat different, as it's Thailand's second largest city. I'm not crazy about CM myself, much perfer CR and the Golden Triangle, but some people like CM alot, there are temples, crafts etc. Another thing you can do is go to Luang Prabang, Laos, which is quite lovely. There are a lot of temples but these are NOT RUINS--they are working wats.

DavRan Aug 8th, 2005 11:48 AM

We definitely like to see history. But we like to experience culture, people watch, eat and drink. We are already going to do a few days of Trekking in Mae Hong Son area..we are just debating will it be Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai, or Combodia on those 2-3 days.

BillT Aug 8th, 2005 11:52 AM

Note that at the Grand Palace in BKK there is a scale model of Angor Wat.
I probably could not handle more than a day of temple viewiing either- and I know that my wife could only handle a few hours at most- so as the others have suggested skip Cambodia.

laurieco Aug 8th, 2005 11:58 AM

Don't do Cambodia. By the time you fly there, get your visas, go through immigration, you will have little time left to exploreeither PP or Angkor, depending on which you would go to first. Then the next day, you have to fly to the other city and waste more time. You will have a half a day in each place and will be exhausted. You also may regret not spending a bit more time there as it's fascinating and, Angkor is very beautiful. You would be lucky to see Angkor Wat only, not any of the other ruins. In PP, you would have time for the Killing Fields only, nothing else. This hardly seems worth it.

Only you can decide what you want more--stay in CM for more of a "city" experience, or, go to the Golden Triangle/Chiang Mai, for more of a laid back, nature, perhaps more trekking experience. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Even though I didn't care for Chiang Mai when I was there, I would still go back--some places just need a second visit.

rhkkmk Aug 8th, 2005 06:56 PM

two days is not enought for angkor and when you judge the expense it would be wasted....
i personally would not go to chiang mai...i would consider the far north but i don't see it really as a people interact place either...

how about 2 days in pattaya....its a wild place and you will interact there...

or even better how about a couple of days in koh samui and then you can fly to phuket from there....they are very different...

Seang Aug 8th, 2005 11:14 PM

on Nov 17 , I suggest you to go from Pai to CM not back to Mae hong son.
Pai is a half way between them.
Golden triangle, in my opinion, is not worth to see. chaing mai have a lot of thing to see and do. You should spend 19 in Cm instead.
If you love scuba. Phuket is the paradise for you. spend some more time over there.

orgy7 Aug 9th, 2005 10:03 AM

DAVRAN you can do angkor easaly in 2 days.. especialy if your young healthy and can handle the heat.. I did it in a 2 days. the trick is to put your right foot in front of your left foot keep on doing it.. you may choose too have a car or motorcycle guide to drops you off at the entrence of each temple, pick ya up at the exit and transports you too the next temple.. I used one of the motorcyle guys and it cost $5.

I honestly don't understand what my fellow fodorites do when they go too angkor the place is open all day..

Gpanda Aug 9th, 2005 10:41 AM

Orgy-we are not as young and vibrant as you. Plus Hartford is way south of Boston, so you're accustomed to the heat. Go Sox.

Kathie Aug 9th, 2005 11:02 AM

And orgy, some of us are actually interested in the many dozens of temples and we want to see them all!

DavRan Aug 9th, 2005 12:28 PM

I guess what we will do is play it by ear. Hang around in the North. If we get tired of the North will just walk to the nearest travel agent and book a flight out.

Thanks so much for your advice.

glorialf Aug 9th, 2005 01:19 PM

You won't be bored by the north -- it's great.

As for seeing the temples in 2 days -- sure you can do it. Just like you can "see" Bangkok in 3 days. Just not the way I'd suggest for anyone who has any real interest in the temples.

BillT Aug 9th, 2005 02:34 PM

Like I always say know thyself but just as important know thy spouse/traveling partner- if they get templed out in a few hours then plan accordingly!
I enjoy viewing temples but even I get templed out after seeing so many!