Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand Touring (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-touring-321047/)

r_e_e_n_i_e Mar 11th, 2008 08:19 AM

Thailand Touring

we are a group of 6 mothers/daughters who travel to somewhere in the world once a year..like to have things organized and in appropriate places a guide and sometimes a driver as well...trying to see if we can do Thailand in 8 days (excluding air travel)..because that is all the time we have from work....and on a budget of $3,000 total per person(including air)......this is looking difficult but wonder if anyone knows of any tour arranger (we like a private tour) who might come in with this budget without staying in marginal places..we do like nice accommodations...i found a place called Travelindo China and wonder if anyone has anything to say about this group... (tour time is next Feb.)

Gpanda Mar 11th, 2008 11:13 AM

Assuming you are coming from the US, you can do this for $3000 per person including airfare. However, it will be much cheaper to do this on your own.

With 8 days, you should go to Bangkok and Chiang Mai. You can stay on the river in BKK (a favorite of many of us) for slightly less than $100 per person/$200 per room at either the Royal Orchid Shearton of Marriott. Both are solid 4 star hotels.

The r/t from BKK-CM will be $100 or less if you fly Air Asia. Hotels are cheaper in CM.

We will be glad to answer any questions.

glorialf Mar 11th, 2008 11:16 AM

I would either do Bangkok and Chiang Mai or just Bangkok. If you go to Chiang Mai stay at Baan Orapin which is wonderful and rooms are under $100 so less than $50 per person. There are plenty of drivers/guides we can suggest for both places.

mrringo123 Mar 11th, 2008 01:25 PM

I'm wondering what drivers you recommend for Chiang Mai. Also, what do you suggest we do there and how long should we stay in Chiang Mai. Thanks!

r_e_e_n_i_e Mar 11th, 2008 01:36 PM

so you think we could arrive in these two locations (we already were focused on these) and arrange guides, etc. when there? or do you have some suggestions of names we could arrange in advance.....thanks...these suggestions are so helpful

mrringo123 Mar 11th, 2008 01:49 PM

REENIE. I don't know nearly as much as some of the other writers. In fact I've never been to Thailand - but I'm planning my honeymoon right now, we're going in May. Anyway, everyone's recommended this woman Tong as an excellent guide for BKK. Her website is tourwithtong.com. If I hear anything else I'll let you know. Please also let me know if you find anything out about Chiang Mai.

Also, I hear the cooking schools in both cities are a lot of fun and a great experience.

Josh

Hades Mar 11th, 2008 03:51 PM

Reenie I have had really good luck with tours from BootsnAll.com. They have fun trips that I have gone on and even did a custom trip for my family when we went to Thailand.

Good luck

r_e_e_n_i_e Mar 11th, 2008 05:13 PM

I have been following up on all these great suggestions...sending off emails to the agents recommended....nothing like recommendations from fellow travelers....thanks

rhkkmk Mar 11th, 2008 05:30 PM

cherry, tong and ratt are the three usual guides we use in bkk....

reenie---i would stay my whole time in bkk....you will be tired days one and two and won't get as much done as you think....that way you could also go outside the city for a day or two for day trips: secret place with tong (monkeys)....floating market with any of the guides....
i would do a combo of sightseeing on my own and with a guide/driver....shopping will take up more time for the bargains...

get a good guidebook now to plan...fodors or frommers....i like frommers for short trips best...

glorialf Mar 11th, 2008 06:10 PM

I agree with Bob. I love Chiang Mai but my first trip to thailand was in 1985 and I was there a month--- spending 8 days in bangkok. I returned 10 months later in large part because I felt I had misses so much in bangkok. I'be been back 18 times and I always spend 8 days or more in Bangkok and have yet to be bored.

In terms of a hotel -- maybe you should consider some of the self service apartments which have somewhat fewer services than a hotel but give you a lot more space and can be cheaper. I've never stayed at any but carol and guen and others have had great experiences at them.

rhkkmk Mar 11th, 2008 07:32 PM

ttt

MSheinberg Mar 11th, 2008 08:07 PM

We just used Tan in Bangkok and highly reccommend her. Look at my last postings for her e-mail and watch for my Bangkok posting in the next few days.

r_e_e_n_i_e Mar 12th, 2008 05:49 AM

now we know this trip is doable within our budget..we will do the planning ourselves...have checked out every recommendation and I am impressed at the great selection we now have at affordable prices...really have to consider sticking to Bangkok and outlying areas.........but since this group is so limited in time, due to work schedules, they often feel that it is the only way they are going to see these places, so put up with some lack of sleep...we shall see....thank you, thank you, fodorites

glorialf Mar 12th, 2008 06:14 AM

I would still just go to bangkok. Next year you could return to thailand and do chiang mai and either the golden triangkle or the Pai/aMae Hong Son area. That would be a perfect 8 day trip.

Gpanda Mar 12th, 2008 06:15 AM

You should take a look at popping up to Chiang Mai. There are cheap flights and hotels are cheap. If you are inetersted in elephants and/or river rafting, it is a good spot. This will give you a look at two very different Thailand locations.

simpsonc510 Mar 12th, 2008 06:31 AM

Gloria has mentioned serviced apartments and I have to agree! I have tried several of them and have my favorites. It depends on what part of the city you wish to find your hotel. I like to stay in the heart of the Sukhumvit area rather than on the river. But since this is your first venture into Bangkok, you might wish to try a river location.

I am a shopper. I am not a sight see-er. It took until my 10 or 11th trip to go to the Grand Palace!! I spend my time shopping and visiting Thai friends. I've made a number of friends over 12 visits to Bangkok.

I made a one-day trip to Chiang Mai last February 07. I took a dear Thai friend with me who had never been to CM. She had never been to Doi Suthep (temple). She/we had a wonderful time. Her first time flying... like taking a child on their first trip to the zoo or something!!! So much fun!

Anyway, if you want information on serviced apartments, just hollar! Right now, my current favorite is a new place on Sukhumvit soi 8 that just opened last November. I stayed in a one-bedroom deluxe apartment and found it to be very nice. It's smaller than other places I've stayed, but I love having a washer/dryer right there in my kitchen!!! I did a load of wash almost every morning before venturing out for the day. The name of this new place is Adelphi Suites. I'm staying there in April as well, for about two weeks (with a trip to Koh Samui in the middle).

Carol

bonacer22 Mar 12th, 2008 06:52 AM

My wife and I are in the midst of booking a similar trip. We are using a travel agent/owner by the name of Gregg at: http://www.innovasian.com/ We think he is great and very smart. Go to his web site and give him a call or email. I think you will be very happy. He seems to be able to do it all for you. Steve

rhkkmk Mar 12th, 2008 08:02 AM

you might give cherry an e mail as i think they would be able to help you

[email protected]

rhkkmk Mar 12th, 2008 08:03 AM

i had it wrong....its
[email protected]

r_e_e_n_i_e Mar 12th, 2008 08:18 AM

i'm getting the distinct impression that Thailand gets under your skin...that happened when i went to Vietnam, and headed back before long...