Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand Tonight & Cultural Show at Sheraton (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-tonight-and-cultural-show-at-sheraton-467644/)

Cosmo Aug 17th, 2004 03:33 AM

Thailand Tonight & Cultural Show at Sheraton

Has anyone experienced dinner at Thailand Tonight Restaurant with the Show at the Sheraton Orchid Hotel? Was it a buffet and is the meal and show charged separately or is it the one deal. Any comments appreciated.

rhkkmk Aug 17th, 2004 10:24 AM

i think it might be new...i have never heard of it...i did not see any mention of it at the sheraton when i stayed there in june????

one of the best shows in town of thai dancing is across the river at the oriental's pavillion--sala rim...it is fairly expensive but representative of the dance...my wife liked it, i tollerated it, just barely....

SD3 Aug 17th, 2004 01:56 PM

I stayed at the Sheraton in March and didn't notice the sign for it until just before I left. Didn't attend but the food at the Thai restaurant at ROH is very good. I went to the show at the Oriental - both the show and the food were nice but nothing exquisite. I would guess that the Sheraton puts on a similar show.

Cosmo Aug 17th, 2004 02:18 PM

Thanks Bob and SD3 -
I found it on the website and was considering it because we move into the Sheraton on our last day of our trip thanks to FFpoints and thought if it was good we could go there for our last night. It would be easy (read relaxing)... Ive just sent off an emai to the hotel to ask for info - ie. buffett. prices etc.

Kay2 Aug 17th, 2004 06:04 PM

It's been several years since we stayed at the ROS. We went to the outdoor buffet and show our first night to "stay in." We were there when tourism was very slow so only a few tables were booked. I think some people came just for the show. The buffet had a variety and food OK, but because there were so few diners that night they did not need to refresh much so anything there was pretty much there for the entire time.

Although very touristy, we enjoyed the show because it was what we expected--samples of various dances and music, flowers for the ladies, inviting folks up on the stage at the end showing them how to dance, etc.

rhkkmk Aug 17th, 2004 06:12 PM

sounds very different from the oriental show which is a performance with a sit down dinner (medium quality dinner imo)...

how about the lady-boy show at the asia hotel?? totally different...have not been but many here have been and enjoy it...

Cosmo Aug 17th, 2004 08:55 PM

Thanks everyone, still waiting for an answer from the Sherton, sent the email last night so should arrive shortly.
Ive already booked the calypso ladyboy show for our Bangkok stay on the way to India - yes it sounds good and only 1000Bt. Just considering the Sheraton Show for last night on the way home in November.
Because Im thinking we may well be holidayed (is that a word?) out by then I dont want any big excursions on our last night before heading home.... Does anyone have alternative recommendations for a nice dinner close to the Sheraton if we dont do the show?

Gpanda Aug 18th, 2004 04:34 AM

If you don't want the show, you might want to try the Gallery Cafe which is very near to the ROS. You turn right out of the lobby and left at the Portugese Embassy. It's a few hundred feet up on your left before the New Road. We adored the food there and the service and ambiance were good. The Seafood salad was exquisite. If you're "holidayed out" (I like the expression), this will be a very relaxing dinner. The food is better than the Tara Thai at the ROS, which is also good.

Kathie Aug 18th, 2004 06:01 AM

There ia an excellent Thai restaurant in the Sheraton. It has a lovely view of the river, great service, great food. I don't like buffets, so I've never gone to the dinner show and the buffet at the Sheraton, though I've walked by it a number of times in my twenty-something visits.

rhkkmk Aug 18th, 2004 06:54 PM

gpanda---isn't the restaurant on your right before new road??

Gpanda Aug 19th, 2004 03:30 AM

Rhkkmk-you're correct (again), the Gallery Cafe is on the right as you walk towards the New Road from the ROS.