Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thailand this week-should I bring a raincoat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help please!

We are leaving for Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui on Wednesday for 2 weeks. My adult children who are going with us, have both been before. They are advising that I do not bring a raincoat, jacket or anything of the sort because it is just too hot...even though it will rain much of the time. Right now I have packed capris, bathing suit, "hawaii" shirts, sun dresses (with short sleeves) and sandals...that's about it!

I don't have a light jacket, but do own a raincoat

Opinions?

Thanks,

margy
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 07:43 PM

a big umbrella would be useful if the rain continues in samui....it will break soon...

they are available in thailand as well and your hotel with provide them too probably...

suggest a long sleeve shirt to protect you from the sun
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 08:08 PM

I wouldn't bother to bring any cold/wet weather clothes. If you need anything it's easy to buy in BKK, CM or Samui, plenty of shops you can pick up a brolly or light jacket.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 02:23 AM

I'm in Bangkok right now and the weather is cooler than I have experienced during any other December that I've been here. It was quite cool when I arrived on Dec 18th....cool enough for a light sweater. The weather is still holding and it hasn't turned to hot/hot ....thank goodness. I hope it holds the next week and a half that I'm here. This is paradise weather. I would just bring a fold-up umbrella, but not a raincoat. I would also bring a light sweater since the air conditioning is always at sub-artic level in restaurants, the skytrain, and taxis....or bring a pashmina. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:03 AM

Don't bring a raincoat - it is too hot for that. But do bring long slacks, not just capris, as you'll want to be covered against mosquitos in the evenings. Also, to go to the Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha complex, you'll need either long slacks (no capris) or a skirt that covers your knees plus you'll need your shoulders and upper arms covered.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Jed

We found the thin plastic panchos that you can fold up and carry in your pocket are helpful when you don't need warmth. We got them free at Chicos (and Niagrara Falls), but they are probably very cheap to buy. Also the tiny Totes umbrellas are adequate and easy to carry.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:56 PM

Weather is fine in north part of the Gulf, plenty of sunshine, late last week though experienced what I felt was the coldest morning I can 'ever' remember. If you are heading south then you need to check the weather.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone for your input...I will bring an umbrella for sure. I do have a pashmina that I could bring, but I'm thinking that maybe I should just take the opportunity to pick up a wrap soon after I get to Bangkok? I'm probably overthinking this....

margy

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 06:12 PM
CFW

James A, Any forecasts of when the rains in Phuket may end? Seems endless...
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 06:42 PM

I always find the weather on Bangkok Post to be more realistic than the online services which I 'guess' work from satelite data rather than people 'on the ground', no idea, I checked one online weather which said that 'we' have thunderstorms at the moment but it is sunshine outside!

I'll try and call this afternoon and get another update, staff who went down said it was a mix, some rain but also sun. I will try and get an update for everyone. Do not though that on Phuket because it is raining in one area does not necessarily mean rain in other parts, weather can be very very 'local' and the weather data does not show that of course, just a 'general picture'. It is very unseasonal for sure!
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Why run around looking for a wrap? If you already have a pashmina....just bring that. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 03:24 AM

Well I heard back they had sunshine! And although weather report for 'us' was clouds and rain it was solid sunshine, though at times rather hazy.
I should relax and look forward to your vacation, remember, if it does rain, have that spa or massage, relax with a book, do the shopping, go see a show.