Thailand Resort Area Weather

Sep 25th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thailand Resort Area Weather

Greetings. Let me say first, thank you to all who post. Your advice and insights are a tremendous resource in travel planning. My question pertains to Thailand and what resort area to visit. My wife and I will be in Thailand from October 20-30. We plan on visiting the beaches for the first 4 nights and then stay in Bangkok for 5 nights. Some may argue that is too much time in Bangkok, but to be honest, my wife and I get bored with "beach life." My question is which resort area for the dates of October 21-25. Phuket, Koh Samui or any other fantastic hot spot. My main concern is weather. I have tried to find the answer myself, but I have read conflicting information. My wife's fear is to spend 4 days in rain on the beach. Needless to say, I am doing everything I can to please her (as every good husband should do I am told.) So what area will limit our risk of rain (believe me, I know one can not control the weather, I have tried for years with no luck!) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The lost traveler
Sep 25th, 2003, 04:27 PM
brotherleelove2003

Sorry, but you're not going to get any definitive answer about weather in Thailand in October. It's a transition month so there is no way to predict how much rain will fall. Even the weather forecast websites are not really that accurate. You can count on it raining some each day, but whether or not it's a short downpour or a stormfront moving through the area is anybody's guess. I did spend some time on Koh Samui in October a few years ago and was never forced indoors for very long. It was actually a welcome change from the opressive heat. It maybe rained for an hour during the day and then again rained some during the night. Thailand is a tropical country and that means rain. You'd might as well get used to the idea. The Phuket area, the Andaman Sea, will be at the end of the monsoons so again you might hit a storm or you might not. I know I'm not being very helpful, but that's the way it is in Thailand. Expect rain no matter where you go.

I presume you are asking so you can make advance reservations in the least rainy area.

Here's a suggestion: Why not spend 2-3 nights in Bangkok when you first arrive, then you can make your way to whichever resort area is having the best weather for 4 nights, then back to BKK for the last of your trip. This will break up your BKK stay nicely and give you a chance to find out which island is having the best weather. In October you don't really have to book ahead anywhere since it's off-season, so once you're in BKK just go to an internet cafe to check the weather on a website like www.weatherunderground.com. Have a list of resorts prepared from advance research for whichever area is best at the time. You can call ahead from BKK to book your resort. You can also book flights for no extra charge up to the same day you want to depart to that destination. Flights are not full unless there's a national holiday or it's high season, which it will not be. I hope this helps some.

Sep 25th, 2003, 07:39 PM

one can never spend too much time in bangkok in my opinion....i just love it and keep going back...i once spent two weeks without leaving the city....

have you thought about hua hin....2.5 hours drive from bkk....if you are bored with the beach go back to bangkok...would you consider taking time in bkk at the beginning and the end of your holiday and going to the beach in the middle??
Sep 25th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

I am open to any and all suggestions. The reason we were trying to avoid Bangkok in the beginning of the trip is President Bush (and other world leaders) will be there on Oct 20-21 I think.
Sep 25th, 2003, 11:18 PM

As others have said, October is a transition month weatherwise, the rains ease off in the south and south west and then begin to start on the south part of the East coast ( Samui area ).
Your best bet therefore is to stick with the relatively drier area in the north of the Gulf, i.e Pattaya/Jomtien Beach area or the Hua Hin/Cha Am/Pranburi area.
The benefits are that if you get bored it is just a couple of hours taxi ride into Bangkok, however in both Pattaya and Hua Hin you will find plenty to do.
River Kwai (inland) area is very scenic and just a few hours from Bangkok and Hua Hin.
My personal tip would be that if your wife wants lots of restaurants, shopping then maybe Jomtien Beach ( a developed but quieter area about 20 minutes past Pattaya, some great resorts ), or, for a place with sufficient restaurants, night market, golf, activities try Hua Hin.

Try these for some ideas

www.huahin.4t.com/tips.html

www.freewebs/hua_hin_hotels/

www.freewebs.com/koh_samui_hotels/

You will get links for Jomtien Beach too. The strangely named 'Rabbit Resort' just south of Jomtien Beach is classic, about $100 a night. In Hua Hin the Marriott/Anantara/Hyatt/Kaban Tamor all nice places.