Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand or Singapore in February? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-or-singapore-in-february-1665809/)

scrb11 Apr 11th, 2019 05:03 PM

Thailand or Singapore in February?

May be able to get frequent flier award ticket to Asia. Would be flying through Hong Kong each way so would look to spend a few days there before returning to the US.

But on the west bound flight, it would be either Singapore or Bangkok. Total trip would be about 2 weeks, either 9 days in Thailand and then 4 days in Hong Kong or 6 days in Singapore and 6 in Hong Kong.

Or alternatively, 4 nights (3 full days plus a partial day) in Singapore, 3 nights in Bangkok, 4 nights in Hong Kong.

Been only to Singapore and Hong Kong previously.

Supposedly very good time of the year in Thailand, particularly Chiang Mai and Bangkok but maybe not as great in the southern coastal areas like Phuket?

Any experiences or knowledge about Thailand or Singapore in February?

crellston Apr 11th, 2019 09:44 PM

The Andaman coast of Thailand (inc Phuket) will have great weather in February along with most of the rest of Thailand. The gulf coast will be ok but not quiet as good as the Andaman. I would avoid Chiang Mai and Northern Thailand towards the end of February just in case the burning season starts early. This can lead to a lot of smoke and pollution making it very unpleasant. Early on in the month it should be great.

Kathie Apr 12th, 2019 11:54 AM

As Crellston says, this is a good time of the year for much of SE Asia. It's not clear to me what interests you in this part of the world.

Personally, I wouldn't opt for 6 days in both Hong Kong and Singapore. Both are huge, pretty Westernized cities. Both are expensive. I prefer more variety in my travel. Since you have been to both Hong Kong and Singapore previously, why not spend your two weeks in Thailand? You could spend time in Bangkok and also visit a beach area on the Andaman Sea side of Thailand. There are lots of beaches to choose from in this are, Phuket is the best known, but also Krabi, Ko Lanka, Koh Lak and others.

If you are willing to consider other places, consider combining Thailand with a visit to the temples of Angkor in Cambodia. Do some research, let us know what interests you, and I'm sure we can offer more suggestions.

scrb11 Apr 12th, 2019 12:36 PM

I booked for Thailand.

So I have 13 total days in the ground.

Planning on 9 days in Thailand and 4 in Hong Kong. Could change that but that's the way I'm leaning. In any event, flying back from HKG so would have to spend at least a night there.

Yeah I'd mostly be looking for sights. Not really the type to lounge at the beach or by a hotel pool. However, I would arrive at BKK at 11-12 noon so I would be able to fly straight away to Chiang Mai in mid February. Then could fly down to Phuket (Is Krabi easily accessed by flights?) and then finish up in Bangkok before flying to HKG.

So take pictures of temples, look for any easy to moderate hikes. For the coastal areas, look for those coastlines with those rocks in the sea. Any recommendations on areas to stay in would be helpful. Would mainly like to be near amenities. I saw a hotel which is outside of Patong Beach more up in the hills overlooking the coast for instance, looked beautiful. But I wonder if you have to go down to the town by the beach to get to restaurants and then go back up to the hotel. I know they offer shuttle services but those may not be that convenient or frequent.

Kathie Apr 13th, 2019 09:45 AM

A few comments: For temples, Bangkok has a dazzling array. In Chiang Mai, do visit Doi Suthep, on a hilltop overlooking the town. In Chiang Mai, the most interesting temples are inside the old city walls.

If the beach doesn't interest you, don't go. Patong Beach is the most crowded, craziest beach in the area. I wouldn't stay near there. You can fly from Bangkok to Krabi. In general, amenities are along the coast line rather than in Phuket Town.

Given your interests, you might want to spend most of your time in Bangkok =- so much to see and do there.

scrb11 Apr 13th, 2019 11:07 AM

If not Patong, are there any other beaches in the peninsula you'd recommend?

Easy to get to and from the airport?

Cyansiam Apr 30th, 2019 01:58 AM

If you stop at any of the properties on the hills overlooking Patong then yes you have to travel down every time for restaurants etc and the roads can be terrifying. Not a pleasant place now and smells badly in high season (Feb) due to all the tourists, the drains cannot cope.

Stay up in the Laguna/Layan area, far more pleasant, cleaner and upmarket, closer to the airport, lots of restaurants and shops at Boat Avenue and Tinlay Place. Layan beach is much nicer as well.

Surin is not too bad, lot of good hotels but nothing on the beach now as they cleared everything so not as popular.

Other option is Nai Harn, nice beach and the Nai Harn hotel overlooks it but over an hour from the airport. Lots of smaller restaurants in the village and on Rawai seafront.

sabukmk Apr 30th, 2019 02:05 AM

I would choose Thailand. But that's my preference

scrb11 Apr 30th, 2019 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cyansiam (Post 16911906)
If you stop at any of the properties on the hills overlooking Patong then yes you have to travel down every time for restaurants etc and the roads can be terrifying. Not a pleasant place now and smells badly in high season (Feb) due to all the tourists, the drains cannot cope.

Stay up in the Laguna/Layan area, far more pleasant, cleaner and upmarket, closer to the airport, lots of restaurants and shops at Boat Avenue and Tinlay Place. Layan beach is much nicer as well.

Surin is not too bad, lot of good hotels but nothing on the beach now as they cleared everything so not as popular.

Other option is Nai Harn, nice beach and the Nai Harn hotel overlooks it but over an hour from the airport. Lots of smaller restaurants in the village and on Rawai seafront.

thanks for the recommendations.

What are the transport options to reach these places from the airport or gett8ng around the different areas?

SirHalberd Apr 30th, 2019 02:21 AM

Thailand can be cheaper than Singapore and Hong Kong. (Unless you always go for luxury hotels and expensive restaurants everywhere you go. In that case the difference might not be that much.)

Bangkok is cheaper than some of the good beach locations. (Cheap city transportation.) Lots to see and do in Thailand. If you want an alternative to a beach area check out Chiang Mai.

Good luck.

Cyansiam Apr 30th, 2019 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by scrb11 (Post 16911916)

thanks for the recommendations.

What are the transport options to reach these places from the airport or gett8ng around the different areas?

You can get taxis at the airport, there are fixed prices and you pay at the desk outside the terminal, Layan/Laguna should be 800 THB as is Surin although it is further, they think people are richer in Laguna! Nai Harn will be 1000 to 1200 THB, our driver charges 1000 THB to Rawai. The hotels offer transfers but usually at 3 times the cost. Grab taxi is available but they add 150 THB to the journey now so not much cheaper than normal taxis. You can hire a car and driver for the day to get to different places, I do not know the cost for a car but a minivan is 3000 THB with unlimited mileage for 10 hours. If you book tours then usually the transport is included.

scrb11 Apr 30th, 2019 02:37 AM

Are those prices for cars or tuk tuks?

SirHalberd, I am definitely planning on going to Thailand and Chiang Mai, not sure about Phuket.

interested in beautiful coastlines but not really one for luxury resorts as I don’t just lounge by the pool or too interested in luxury amenities like massage.

for me, there has to be a lot of things to see and do away from the hotel because I don’t want to spend most of the days at the hotel, no matter how nice.

i realize a lot of resorts are set in beautiful settings but that’s a long way to go to spend a lot of time at a hotel.

Cyansiam Apr 30th, 2019 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by scrb11 (Post 16911927)
Are those prices for cars or tuk tuks?

SirHalberd, I am definitely planning on going to Thailand and Chiang Mai, not sure about Phuket.

interested in beautiful coastlines but not really one for luxury resorts as I don’t just lounge by the pool or too interested in luxury amenities like massage.

for me, there has to be a lot of things to see and do away from the hotel because I don’t want to spend most of the days at the hotel, no matter how nice.

i realize a lot of resorts are set in beautiful settings but that’s a long way to go to spend a lot of time at a hotel.

Prices for Cars or minivans.

Things to do:
Phuket Elephant Sanctuary but only this one - https://www.phuketelephantsanctuary.org/en/
Phang Nga Bay - beautiful scenery - John Gray"s Sea Canoe tours
There is also a company doing nature tours on Koi Ya Noi by bike - Feel Phuket

scrb11 May 24th, 2019 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cyansiam (Post 16912423)
Prices for Cars or minivans.

Things to do:
Phuket Elephant Sanctuary but only this one - https://www.phuketelephantsanctuary.org/en/
Phang Nga Bay - beautiful scenery - John Gray"s Sea Canoe tours
There is also a company doing nature tours on Koi Ya Noi by bike - Feel Phuket

Since you mention Phang Nga Bay, does staying on the west coast of the island make it difficult to take cruise tours to the east?

For instance, this one apparently picks you up from west coast towns and drives you over to take the boat to Phi Phi and other islands:

https://www.getyourguide.com/phuket-...-trip-t167981/

Cyansiam May 26th, 2019 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by scrb11 (Post 16924762)
Since you mention Phang Nga Bay, does staying on the west coast of the island make it difficult to take cruise tours to the east?

For instance, this one apparently picks you up from west coast towns and drives you over to take the boat to Phi Phi and other islands:

https://www.getyourguide.com/phuket-...-trip-t167981/

There are hardly any places to stay on the East coast anyway, no beaches! The majority of tours offer free transport so depending on where you are staying the only issue is travel time. Mainly 5 places to catch the boats...Chalong (south), Phuket Town, Boat Lagoon/RPM, Ao Po (north) and Yacht Haven (far north). Main ferries go from Phuket Town. For trips from the south look at La Moet...you will not be packed in with the Chinese tour groups!

Cyansiam May 26th, 2019 07:41 PM

Re the link you sent...note the bit about not suitable for people with neck and back problems...means packed onto fast speedboat which will bounce you all the way there! Maya Bay is now closed for the next few years.

scrb11 May 27th, 2019 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cyansiam (Post 16925848)
There are hardly any places to stay on the East coast anyway, no beaches! The majority of tours offer free transport so depending on where you are staying the only issue is travel time. Mainly 5 places to catch the boats...Chalong (south), Phuket Town, Boat Lagoon/RPM, Ao Po (north) and Yacht Haven (far north). Main ferries go from Phuket Town. For trips from the south look at La Moet...you will not be packed in with the Chinese tour groups!

Thanks, it appears most of these are within an hour of Layan/Laguna?

Originally Posted by Cyansiam (Post 16925851)
Re the link you sent...note the bit about not suitable for people with neck and back problems...means packed onto fast speedboat which will bounce you all the way there! Maya Bay is now closed for the next few years.

Yeah unfortunately they all seem to be "luxury speed boats" so smaller craft which bounce more. Maybe there are ferry tours to look for which would be on bigger boats.

They all seem to advertise Maya Bay so maybe it's not worth going out there if it's closed. Saw an article that it will be at least June 2021. Maybe I'll check out one of the James Bond Islands tour.

I'm undecided on how to split my 9 nights in Thailand. With Phuket it would be 3 nights in Chiang Mai, 3 in Phuket and 3 in Bangkok. Or remove Phuket and make it 4 and 5 nights.

One thing I'm finding out is that transit times within Bangkok are very long. I looked at staying around Siam Square but it would take almost an hour to go 6-7 kilometers west to the area around the Grand Palace. And supposedly the BTS is always packed, so people on TripAdvisor advise using taxis.

So I may choose to spend more time in Chiang Mai and Bangkok and skip Phuket. That Maya Bay does look spectacular so it might be better to visit Phuket another time, though I'm sure there are other scenic destinations in the Phuket area.

Cyansiam May 28th, 2019 10:20 PM

Yes all within a hour of Layan/Laguna except Chalong which could be up to 1 hour 30 mins.

James Bond tours can again be packed with queues to get the required photo and a 'lovely' lunch at a seafood restaurant even with the private yacht charters. The best one is John Gray's tours or a private charter with lunch on board that will take you to more remote areas but a costly way to do it unless you have a big group, La Moet is the only one I know that you can join in and have a more relaxed and slow way to see the islands without spending a lot. Do not think there are any ferry tours.

Re: Bangkok, if you stay on the river then easy to get the boat taxis up to see the Palace etc. The BTS is okay to use, packed on the main sections and can be confusing to use the first time without asking. Personally I dislike BKK but then I do not go for the sights and Chiang Mai you need to think about the air pollution as Crellston said, this year it was bad and also in BKK they said it was there too but should be ok by the river.

scrb11 May 29th, 2019 01:07 AM

Those Phi Phi tours still advertise Maya Bay. Apparently they go up to the opening for a few minutes, let you take pics and then go elsewhere rather than go into the Bay and let you spend time there.

This ferry seems like not as bumpy a ride as those smaller speedboats?

https://www.getyourguide.com/phuket-...i-phi-t166010/

But it sounds like I'd have to make my way over to Phucket town port on my own, rather than get hotel pickup.

I will check out John Gray and La Moet.

scrb11 May 29th, 2019 12:19 PM

Also thinking about staying near the cape in Rawai. Seems to be the most interesting areas to walk around for views, though maybe a little remote compared to the west coast beach towns?

Guess it would run 1000 to 1200 BHT each way out there.

I'm judging views based on photos in Google Maps ...