Search

Thailand or China in March 2008?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:23 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand or China in March 2008?

I am trying to decide where to go for Spring break next March. We are a family of four (DD 14 and DS 11). We have two votes for China (me and DS) and two votes for Thailand (DH and DD). We love good food, visiting historical and cultural sites and good shopping. We just returned from our first "adventure" trip to Morocco and we all loved it.

DH doesn't want China due to the weather, and I must admit I do find the idea of a few days at a resort very appealing. However, I have in my mind that I really want to see the Great Wall, Forbidden City, Terra Cotta Warriors and more. I guess I am not as familiar with sites in Thailand but have just started researching it.

Any thought that might swing us one way or the other will be appreciated.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Go to Thaliland- next year its the summer Olympics in China so I would skip China next year due to the crowds and prices will be elevated I'm sure.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:27 AM
jgg
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that we will have a total of 16 nights including travel from west coast.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:00 AM

We will be in Tokyo, Hong Kong and Thailand in March 2008 for spring break. I had the same feelings as you, but the more I read about Thailand, the more I want to go for weeks and weeks.... Thailand has a lot to offer!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM

its starting to get quite hot in thailand by then but it is all relative...i think a family would do much better in thailand cause the kids would find more that interested them
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 03:19 AM

Hi

They are going to be two different experiences. I went to China with my wife in March a couple of years back and you can check out my trip report with pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/china_beijing.htm . It was a bit cold in March in Beijing but it was amazing to see places like the forbidden city, the great wall, terracotta warriors.

We have also been to Thailand a couple of times and that is also a great cultural experience. But if you end up on the beach of the south it will be more of a resort vacation. Here is my trip report from the last trip to Thailand: http://gardkarlsen.com/thailand2002.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:17 PM

That’s a tough call, either of course would make a great vacation. There is a lot of history and culture in China, and a good bit of course in Thailand, besides the obvious Bangkok and a beach resort like Phuket, Koh Samui or the Hua Hin area, you could also go to Cambodia or Laos to places like Angkor Wat and/or Luang Prabang if you wanted to avoid the much more heavily touristed Chiang Mai area. For the PRC, I agree that in general, and specifically for the places named in your post, China is going be rather cool to cold in March; however IMO you will NOT find crowds in March, and I don’t think you will find inflated prices so many months before the Olympics and well before the summer season. What you may find is some things still under scaffolding and/or construction getting ready for the final push for the Olympics (which are in August). I have generally been encouraging people to avoid the PRC inn 2007 due to the construction going on, but by that late in 2008 the major things like roads, the subway extension in Beijing, etc will be done.; although museums and tourist sites may still be getting a final polish. (Personally, I would suggest that the family postpone the whole Asia trip and go TO the Olympics themselves or come back for them, they will be quite an event IMO.)

Check weatherbase.com for temps to see if they are in the acceptable range for you for the PRC. The good thing is that places like the Great Wall would not be crowded and the bare trees against the red walls of the Forbidden City are rather beautiful. If you are dressed for the weather it is perfectly fine, it just is not weather to sit by a pool. You can also have dust storms in March in Beijing which may be bothersome. I live in Hong Kong and the weather is really just bloody awful in March, wet and foggy and cool, too late for the great winter sunshine and too early for the hot summer weather, so not really a great time to be here IMO.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:50 PM

i've been to thailand twice - both for a couple of week and have been both north and south. also spent a few days in beijing.

loveed both but it was cold!!!! in beijing. also more of a place to take kids (depending on ages and interests.

loved thailand and would not hesitat on going back in a second!@!!!!!! the people, food, sights, etc etc are phenomenal
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:07 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. I enjoyed your trip reports gard. I think at this point I am definitely leaning towards Thailand - atleast that is what I have spent all week researching.

I will post some more questions on a new thread.