Thailand November to December

Sep 29th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Liz

Thailand November to December

My husband is working in Thailand till the end of 2002. I jumped at the chance to join him and my trip is booked from November 24th to December 23rd.
A friend of ours here is from Thailand and has arranged for her sister to be my tour guide and take me where I want. All I have to pay is her bus or train fare. I have read dire stories of riding on 3rd class trains and its first come first serve.
Does anyone have suggestions of must sees?
I would like to see the ancient temples (wats?) and don't know which ones to include in my itinerary. I would like to see the hill tribes in the north with the women who have rings around their necks. We will be staying in the north at Phitsanulok, and before leaving a few days in Bangkok. I am not a beach person but some of those views are breathtaking. My daughters have requested sapphires and a ruby. Would appreciate any input.

Sep 29th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Kathie

November and Decmeber is an excellent time to visit Thailand. It will be less hot (I'd hardly say cooler) than at other times of the year.

There is lots to see and do in Bangkok. There are some wonderful Wats. At a minimum, visit the Grand Palace and Temple of the Emerald Buddha, the Reclining Buddha, Wat Arun, etc., and the Jim Thompson House. Heading North, stop in Authyua and Sukothai on your way up toward Chaing Mai.

By the way, do some research on visiting the tribes with the ring-necked women. Many people believe this is nothing short of a human zoo and encourge people NOT to visit. I haven't been there, but I do recommend you research the topic.

Sep 29th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Liz

Thanks, Kathie, for the good advice. It gives me a starting point, esp for the wats. As for the hill tribes I will check that out. I don't like anything that is set up for tourists - like you say, a human zoo. I have a friend that visited the region with Thai people, which is the only way I would go. Looking forward to my journey, thanks.

Sep 30th, 2002, 08:38 AM
charmaine

some interesting things to do:
- take a boatride down the river at the golden triangle in chiangrai
- visit the waterfalls in chiangmai. there are some wats that's worth a visit in chiangmai too
- do a 3-day trek in mae hong son & hopefully catch the sunflower blossoms aound late november
enjoy your trip!

Sep 30th, 2002, 10:16 AM
denise

The experience of the Floating Market is one that you will never forget. Great shopping, great bargains. Lots of fun. And the food is terrific.

One ofthe best exotic vacations I ever took. Have a blast.

Just remember, that you have to be properly dressed when visiting the Grand Palace and the other temples.

Search this Thread