Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand Lodging-Family Bed (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-lodging-family-bed-785850/)

maria2 May 21st, 2009 02:50 PM

Thailand Lodging-Family Bed

Family of 2 adults, 2 small children traveling to Bangkok.

Background--at home, we all sleep in (or at least all end up in) our king-sized bed. It's what our children are used to and we do not mind it a bit.

Really want to stay at the Oriental and/or Peninsula.

Here's the question--when on the hotel websites (or the asiaroom and other sites), if I do a search for rooms and enter 2 adults and 2 children, only the large suites come up as possibilities (which, incidently, are out of our budget). If I enter 2 adults, there are plenty of king-sized bed rooms available. Should I call the hotels and explain the situation? Would it be better to simply reserve the room as 2 adults and show up with our 2 additions? I'm not trying to be sneaky and fill the room over capacity, just trying to book what will suit us (which may be less bed-space than would suit many others). At the most, we might need a cot , but it seems silly to reserve 2 rooms when, realistically, we will all be snuggled in a single king-sized bed.

If anyone has traveled to these hotels with youngsters in tow before, or if anyone is more experienced with the hotel industry practices (e.g., do they really care if there are 4 people rather than 2 in the room?), I would love some insight.

KimJapan May 21st, 2009 03:09 PM

I think you are best working directly with the hotel. We have stayed at the Peninsula many times with our now 11 year old, and have found it very child friendly. They do say that the maximum occupancy per room is 3 people, but if your kids are very young they may allow you to have only one room for the 4 of you...but you will have to talk directly with them. In our experience at the Peninsula, extra beds for children under 12 are free of charge, and breakfast is free of charge for children under 6 and 1/2 price for children under 12. Their policies may have changed, so confirm with them for sure.

As far as booking for 2 adults and then showing up with 2 adults and 2 kids...I wouldn't do it. Worst case they would be unable to accommodate you...doubtful but possible. Basically, it doesn't look so good for you to have not been truthful when booking.

rhkkmk May 21st, 2009 04:59 PM

not sure you will find it at penn or oriental or most other thai hotels but a serviced apartment would work easily...

also look at marriott courtyard

2+1 works, but usually 2+2 does not

shanek May 21st, 2009 11:19 PM

You really should look at 2 bedroom apartments. THe centrepoint properties are really nice and have most of the facilities of the big hotels.
It's not bad having the kids bunk in with you occasionally but your on holidays..what if you want to "snuggle". You cant go on holidays to such an exotic place without some "mum and dad" time.

tnnc2 May 22nd, 2009 06:01 AM

We have stayed two times at the Marriott Resort and Spa with our 2 children. Both times we have had a 1 BR suite which has a large bedroom with king bed. They also gave us 2 cots which fit right next to the king bed. It also has 1 1/2 baths, living room, and small dining room. I originally booked a room with 2 doubles but we were offered to upgrade at check-in. The extra space is really nice and the hotel is great for kids.

rhkkmk May 22nd, 2009 04:47 PM

you would love the marriott....but i will tell you others have not been allowed to do this, but with the tough economic times now they might allow you

shanek May 22nd, 2009 06:38 PM

Maria,
We stayed at the Marriott with 2 kids. We had a junior suite and paid for one extra bed and they supplied us with a cot for free. There was enough room in the suite but it was more a large room that what you normally expect a suite to be. There was a seperate section that was designed as a sitting area and this is where the extra bed went.
Really nice hotel and most people dont mind the location but I thought it was a little isolated and found travelling on their boat that connected with skytrain to became tedious once the novelty wore off. Beautiful pool area and the most resort-like feel of any Bangkok hotel.