Downtown ubud hotel

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downtown ubud hotel

as we prepare for our 2010 triip to bali we are seeking hotels smack dab in the middle of ubud....we have the komaneka but wonder what might also be lurking behind walls....we want to be able to walk out of the hotel right into town.....so if we wanted some shopping for 30 minutes and then a return to the hotel it all would be right there..

thanks

karen and bob
andy and beth
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Bob, and I thought I was going to take heat for starting the planning early!

I smell a mini May 2010 Indonesian GTG in the works.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

are you in?? you guys shouldwould love bali
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Early or late in May?
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM

I like Komaneka best. Also, Uma and Ketut's. These are all three very different. Komaneka is refined and serene. Uma is upscale and chic. Ketut's is old-style Bali: less formal, but very friendly.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Keep me posted on your dates and I'll try to arrange my schedule. We have a nice new branch in Seminyak, BTW.

The Komaneka is about as close to the middle of town as you can get. I've been curious about the Tjampuan, but it's across the river. The Warwick looks very nice, and claims it's only five minutes walk from the center of town.

My associates are upgrading their place in Payangan, but that is WAY out of town.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM

Kajane Mua on Monkey Forest Road fits the bill .

It has a range of rooms but its 2 bed / bath pool villas might suit you nicely .

The rooms on each level are equivalent in fit out etc.with large dressing and bathrooms .The Villas are at the rear of the property .Lovely grounds and you feel quite remote but are not of course. Not for anyone that is infirm eg our friend badly sprained her ankle en route to the airport when leaving for Bali and it was hard despite them sending a car to the rear of the hotel to collect her and pick us up from restaurants etc .

We stayed there June last year and in one of the villas and I cannot say we loved it ( despite the trip advisor reviews universally praising it to high heaven ). My review is there .

Basically the reason we did not love it was that whilst it reads very well imho the lack of attention to detail , quality of the food , and housekeeping was not up to the 4 star rating and hype. I am critical as whilst I know how hard it is to maintain places in the tropics etc their price ( around 350 for the 2 bed villa per night )was not far below The Legian or other high end places .

That said however I must give them their due in that they have since contacted on of our party and offered some free accomodation as recompense .

But the setting is lovely and the staff very charming .It is quiet and you look out on rice paddies . Oppposite was a fabulous cafe where we ate from breakfast to dinner unless going elsewhere and whose staff were also charming and helpful .Same people as own Terrazo ?? down from the main Temple .

Out the front are all the quality antique stores ( some real and some very good fakes ), fashion , jewellery etc .I rated it pretty highly for that as it was so much easier than Seminyak etc .as it showcases a lot of what you might otherwise have to trek about to see .

So by all means I would say to put it in the mix to consider for what you want . And maybe we were unlucky given the raves it gets.

John
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:22 PM

bob, we are more than in. i'll know exact dates for may 2010 once we purchase our tickets (which'll probably happen in june of this year.)

already exploring options for our 15 day trip, which will most likely be bali/lombok/java.

you know i'll talk your ear off at the LA GTG about all this though.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 01:55 AM

Nice article in the IHT about Mosaic restaurant in Ubud. Not my favorite place, but an interesting perspective on how Bali is becoming more sophisticated.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/03/04/travel/bali.php

I have no idea where I'll be in May 2010 (or May 2009 for that matter) but I'm hoping it's Bali.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all these great suggestions...i will check each one of them out...

film...just no nibbling on my ear...haha
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 08:40 PM

"film...just no nibbling on my ear...haha"

Bob, this is LA baby!......its the whole slobbering tongue jam, lol

Aloha!
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

ok peter....you go first...
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

john---KM has not jumped to the front of the pack....thanks for suggesting it...
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

john...that should be HAS jumped to the front....beth likes it a lot and it seems just what we might like...

i am concerned about the climbing and steps as i am sooooo lazy and unfit...??
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM

rhkkmk- I've stayed at Kajane Mua twice in late 2006 and 2007. I thought it was great, because we had a free standing little villa and a quite large private horozon pool (approx. 12' x 24', I think) for a price much less than any other hotels I checked. Mind you, we showed up on the doorstep brought there by Putu, who gave us the suggestion, and they gave us a nice deal, as they were not full. The staff was gracious and gave us rides to performances and dinner when needed. My only complaint was that the lighting and seating was not good for reading in the room. Our villa Toya Uma was not one of the ones that required any stair walking . Beware, as many do have lots of steps!
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Well as I said most people love Kajane Mua as susncrg exemplifies .I am well and truly the exception .

But in case my criticism concerns you all or anyone else let me be more specific so you can see what it was .

Breakfast in your room / villa was of a standard not much better in terms of its quality than The Kumala Pantai in Seminyak ( a 2 star tourist place at US$45 p.night that we spent 2 nights at prior to KM ) .The breakfast fruit was poor quality and tasteless , cold eggs delivered and coffee ordinairy . The shower had ingrained black mould in it which I made them clean as best they could with bleach and when I lowered a sunblind on the balcony birds nests fell out .

I agree with sunscrg about lighting .The large bed is freestanding and pillows kept falling off the end .

These are not major items but as you well know it is the attention to these things that set a hotel apart when done well .I can live with them at US$45 a night but not US$350 .It was a pity because with great fruit and labour so cheap ( it is a Balinese owned hotel ) there is little excuse .

But the position was perfect and I am now an Ubud convert having always been a coastal person save on one trip in 1987 .
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 06:35 PM

TTT

Not Ubud, but still worth considering for you planning a trip to Bali: Alila opens their Uluwatu Villas in June 2009. Concept drawings look soooo nice.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

thanks michael but too remote i think for us...
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 01:38 AM

Hey Bob-this place may be a bit too "budget" for you, however it comes VERY highly recommended by a family member. Will be in Ubud sometime April so could check out some places for you. Have fun! http://www.casalunabali.com/guesthouse/index.html
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 01:51 AM

I'll be staying at Kajane Mua starting Friday... will let you know my thoughts in a few days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -