Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thailand-Japan-China (is it a bad idea?)

Jul 7th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I'm starting to plan out my next vacation.

I have 23 days in November and would like to travel to Thailand, Japan and China.

I would probably like to spend most of the time in Thailand and least time in China (Great Wall of China would be nice to see)

If this is a horrible idea to visit 3 countries, I would drop China from the list and do 2 weeks in Thailand and 1 week in Japan.

Could you please share your thoughts on this, maybe suggest some rough itinerary outline.

Thank you very-very much in advance!!!!
Jul 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

and, considering that I think China may be over-reaching, I'm thinking of an outline like this.

Flight: Los Angeles > Tokyo
3 Days: Tokyo (day trips ?)
3 Days: Kyoto (day trips to Nagoya, Osaka, Kobe etc)

Flight: Tokyo > Bangkok
4 Days: Bangkok
4 Days: Chiang Mai
7 Days: Krabi + Phuket + Koh Samui

Flight: Bangkok > Los Angeles

It seems that it is least expensive if I flight in and out of the biggest cities. Although, it would be nicer to fly into Tokyo, take train and stay in Kyoto and then take flight from Kyoto to Bangkok, etc.
Jul 7th, 2008, 11:41 AM
kja

Hi, limens -

It depends on what you want to see and experience, but 3 days does not seem to me to be enough to see Kyoto, particularly if you also want to see Nagoya, Osaka, and Kobe - which would basically mean NOT seeing Kyoto!

As for flights, have you checked options for Kansai International Airport?

Hope that helps. . . .
Jul 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM

I do think you make things more complicated by choosing two different countries with very different cultures and climates. That said, two countries in that time is clearly better than three.

If it were me (and it isn't) and I only had a week in Japan, I'd spend it all in Kyoto.

Do consider that it takes much of a day to get from one place to another. To get to Japan to Thailand, plan to spend the whole day in transit. So that cuts down on the time you have.

Also, you've listed three beach resorts you want to visit in Thailand. Frankly, the beaches will be the least "Thai" part of Thailand - they are international beach resorts. Also, going to three beaches makes no sense. If you want to visit more than one beach, at least choose two that are in the same area, such as Phuket ans Krabi. If it were me, I'd cut back the beach time to 4 or 5 days at most and add the other days to Bangkok and CM.
Jul 7th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!!

Yes, at this point. I have removed China.

This is what it looks like to me:

Nov 8th 4:45 pm Arrive in Tokyo
Nov 9th: Tokyo
Nov 10th: Tokyo
Nov 11th: Tokyo
Nov 12: Tokyo to Kyoto by fast train
Nov 13: Kyoto
Nov 14: Kyoto
Nov 15: Kyoto
Nov 16: Kyoto to Thailand
Nov 17: Thailand (Phuket)
Nov 18: Thailand (Phuket)
Nov 19: Thailand (Phuket)
Nov 20: Thailand (Phuket)
Nov 21: Thailand
Nov 22: Thailand
Nov 23: Thailand
Nov 24: Thailand
Nov 25: Thailand
Nov 26: Thailand (Bangkok)
Nov 27: Thailand (Bangkok)
Nov 28: Thailand (Bangkok)
Nov 29: Thailand (Bangkok)
Nov 30: Thailand to Los Angeles (arrives in LA on Nov 30th I think)

I'm just not sure how to squeeze Chiang Mai, Krabi into it. It would be nice to keep traveling in one direction, as to not to go back and forth. But from what I've heard, its best to leave Bangkok as last, in case we want to do some shopping (and flying from bangkok to lax, probably will be cheapest)
Jul 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Well, you have 5 days in Thailand that you haven't scheduled. Think about your priorities.

You can get a taxi from Phuket to Krabi, spend 3 days in Phuket, 3 in Krabi, fly to Bangkok (you can fly Krabi to Bangkok), then take another flight to CM. You'll spend most of the day getting from point A to point B. Spend 2 days in CM, then fly to Bangkok.

I don't know if there are any direct flights from Japan to Phuket, I'm guessing there are not, so you'll transit in Bangkok on your way in.
Jul 7th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

I purchased the main flights. So, the big structure is set like this:

Nov 8: Arrive in Osaka (KIX) at 5PM and checkin to a Kyoto hotel
Nov 9: Kyoto
Nov10: Kyoto
Nov11: Kyoto
Nov12: Kyoto
Nov13: Tokyo
Nov14: Tokyo
Nov15: Tokyo
Nov16: Fly out of Tokyo (NRT) & Arrive in Bangkok at 11PM
Nov17:
Nov18:
Nov19:
Nov20:
Nov21:
Nov22:
Nov23:
Nov24:
Nov25:
Nov26:
Nov27:
Nov28:
Nov29:
Nov30: Depart from Bangkok at 7am and fly home

Now considering that I will arrive in Bangkok and leave from Bangkok, I can't decide exactly how to manage my stay in Thailand.

I think the cities I'd like to see are:
Bangkok
Chiang Mai
Phuket
Krabi

Any suggestions of which city to go first, second, how long, etc. I have 13 days in Thailand, is there something else that I'm missing ?

To travel between bangkok and Phuket or bangkok and chiang mai, would you recommend flying or train?

or any other suggestions or tips you have, would be greatly appreciated.
Jul 8th, 2008, 01:28 AM

You should fly in Thailand. Your time is too valuable. Thai Air has a daily Chiang Mai-Phuket flight at 11:00 a.m.. This will eliminate a stop in BKK. You can fly BKK-CM, CM-HKT and HKT-BKK.

I would add more time in Northern Thailand and see both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. You can do this by choosing either Phuket or Krabi, but not both. While both beaches are nice, they are just beaches and tourist oriented.
Jul 8th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

1)
Should we take one checked-in baggage or two smaller carry-ons?

2)
When I look for tickets from Phuket to Chiang Mai, on expedia one way for two costs about $500. Does it cost cheaper if bought in Thailand? or some other website? or this is a standard cost?

3)
So, for 13 days and Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phuket. How would you recommend that I setup the path of travel to start in BKK and end in BKK?
Jul 8th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

What is strange is that when i look for a flight from phuket to bangkok and bangkok to CM on airasia.com it says it will cost 2,597.96 THB which is less than $100 USD
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:04 PM

expedia doesn't list fares for budget carriers. For other budget carriers on that route check www.whichbudget.com
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:37 PM

On the Japan part of your itinerary, I think it is a good idea you're spending 4 full days in Kyoto. You can include a day-trip to Nara in that part, if you want. Personally, I think 2.5days would be enough to see Tokyo. You can do a day-trip to Nikko north of Tokyo--November is a good time to see autumnal leaves.
Jul 9th, 2008, 04:15 PM

<<To travel between bangkok and Phuket or bangkok and chiang mai, would you recommend flying or train?>>
Check Thai Air's "Discover Thailand" promotion that allows three cities for $199. Details are on their website. You have to purchase it in advance outside Thailand.
We used this promo on a 10-day trip to Thailand that was something like yours: Arrived in Bangkok from Japan; stayed in Bangkok three days; flew to the south for a beach (Ko Samui) for 3 nights; then to Chiang Mai for three days via Bangkok; back to Bangkok from Chiang Mai to change planes back to Japan.
Jul 10th, 2008, 10:53 PM

November 15 you should visit Meiji Shrine in Tokyo for Shichi-Go-San:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shichi-Go-San
Jul 10th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

thx for the replies everyone very helpful. I'm able to fill in the empty spaces in my schedule.

Will review thai air now.

great one mrwunrfl.

thanks
Jul 10th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

I just looked at thai air, but I'm not exactly sure how the "Discover Thailand" 3 cities deal would work.

Does 3 cities mean 3 flights?

I need to purchase the following tickets:
1) BKK > CM
2) CM > Phuket
3) Phuket > BKK

Does this mean that for 2 people, the cost of all this travel will be $400USD ?

I wonder how does this compare with the cost of same travel with airasia.com

My Thailand part of the trip looks like this for right now:

Nov16: Arrive in Bangkok at 11PM
Nov17: Bangkok
Nov18: Bangkok
Nov19: Fly to Chiang Mai
Nov20: Chiang Mai
Nov21: Chiang Mai
Nov22: Chiang Mai
Nov23: Fly to Phuket (or Krabi or Ko Samui)
Nov24: Phuket (or Krabi or Ko Samui)
Nov25: Phuket (or Krabi or Ko Samui)
Nov26: Phuket (or Krabi or Ko Samui)
Nov27: Fly to Bangkok
Nov28: Bangkok
Nov29: Bangkok
Nov30: Depart from Bangkok at 7am and fly home
Jul 11th, 2008, 12:00 AM

The Discover Thailand airpass with Thai Air prices do not include tax and surcharge. You'll need to call Thai Air to get the exact amount the pass would cost you. The flight CNX - HKT is ordinarily quite expensive, and Thai Air is the only carrier who does the route non-stop.

Air Asia may be cheaper. Be sure you understand their baggage policy and conditions of carriage. We had good flights with them and actually got great prices as I bought the tickets during a promotion period when they offered flights for 0 baht plus tax and a surcharge.

Air Asia does not fly CNX - HKT. You need to break it into CNX - BKK and then BKK - HKT. They are a point to point carrier, so neither you nor your bags will be checked through to HKT from CNX. In BKK you will need to deplane, collect your bags (they took a while to come out when we used BKK a few times last August), and get to the check in counter at least 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure. You need to allow plenty of time between flights, as if you misconnect for any reason at all you forfeit the ticket price and have to buy a new ticket to reach your final destination...at whatever the going rate is at the time. It will take much longer to get to Phuket using Air Asia.

You can easily compare the prices of your options by making mock bookings on Air Asia and Thai Air (and Nok Air, 12Go, Bangkok Air, too) and just go as far as you need to to see the total price including tax and surcharge. Then, like I said before, call Thai Air about the total pass price for your itinerary. Also consider buying the CNX - HKT flight on Thai, and the other two on a budget carrier...see how that prices out.
May 22nd, 2013, 06:33 PM

Hi, know this is an old post, but I'm actually thinking of making the same trip. Thailand, Japan and China. I have four weeks in September. Can you give me some tips?
May 23rd, 2013, 05:33 AM

You should really post your own thread. Still I'll give you the same advice as the OP got: cut China. How much time will you have on the ground in Asia? What places in these countries do you want to visit?