I am going to Thailand with my family (husband, 15-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son.) I've been sorting through the places that look inviting, and realize that I need to adopt the less-is-more approach, but first I'd love some feedback from all of you experts. My goal is to get a variety of experiences: temples, markets, wandering, street food, nature. I've contemplated 3 itineraries:
Kanchanaburi is attractive for the floating hotel possibility and for Erawan National Park
Lampang is attractive because the city seems interesting (?) and for Chae Son National Park. (I can't help noticing that no one on the forum has said anything about either of these cities - are they unsuitable or just off the beaten path?) The plan is to take the overnight train north from Bangkok to either Lampang or Chiang Mai for the adventure of it.
If we eliminate both of those places for reasons of logistics and time, what do people think of Khao Yai National park as a day trip from Bangkok and/or Doi Suthep from Chiang Mai?
My impression is that a base in Chiang Mai allows for a variety of activities. We do plan to visit the Elephant Nature Park outside Chiang Mai.
Finally, my theory is that we should have a good base in each place we stay. (If it were me and my husband, we'd stay in cheap dives and spend our days wandering. But with kids it's different, am I right?) So any recommendations on great family hotels with grounds (or public areas greater than the room we will all be sharing) and pools (since it will be so hot)
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 HP printer 1:800:570:1233 installations Contact HP Tec*h care
- 2 AOL @ PASSWORD Reset CONTACT 1:888:482:3831 AOL Tec*h Supp0rt Care 24/7
- 3 BROTHER printer 1:800:570:1233 installations Contact BROTHER Tec*h care
- 4 AOL @ 1800~681~7208 installations & सक्रियण contact AOL tec*h care sbaba!
- 5 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 6 Princess Cruise
- 7 Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar or Thailand?
- 8 Asia travel help
- 9 Tips for One Week in Japan with Baby
- 10 Hiking in Sapa
- 11 Please Help First-Timers to India!
- 12 Looking for advice on first-time Hong Kong trip
- 13 First time to Vietnam. Itinerary help please
- 14 4 nights in Himalayas - Bhutan,Nepal, India?
- 15 Japan escorted
- 16 two health related questions
- 17 Food for thought- Restaurant suggestions for India Feb 1-18
- 18 Restaurants in Bangkok
- 19 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 20 Junk boat cruise-halong Bay,VNam
- 21 Mongolia - Blue Silk Travel
- 22 Nha Trang,Vn taxi
- 23 Bago or Golden rock
- 24 Sri Lanka compared to southern India, which do you prefer?
- 25 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?