Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand itinerary help (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-itinerary-help-408589/)

beezootoo Mar 8th, 2004 06:19 PM

Thailand itinerary help

Message: Let me begin by saying "thanks". I've already picked up some really good advice by reading other postings. You all have made me really excited about our pending trip to Thailand. We are planning to spend our honeymoon there in mid-November.
Here's what we've planned so far:
Bangkok (Peninsula) - 3 nights
Chiang Mai (Four Seasons)- 5 nights
Phuket (Amanpuri) - 5 nights

Now, my question is: we have another 3 nights to spend in Thailand. We were thinking about going to Krabi. Does that sound like a good idea, or would you suggest spending those additional nights somewhere else?
Thanks for your input!

MikeBuckley Mar 8th, 2004 07:01 PM

If you absolutely love visiting temples and don't mind taking an extra flight, you will want to consider spending one night in Sukhothai on the way to Chaing Mai. If you do that, be sure to schedule your itinerary so you can spend an hour or two at Wat Mathathat in the early morning light.

Unless you have specific plans to fill your days in Chaing Mai, I suggest reversing the amount of nights in Chaing Mai and Bangkok. If you're certain you want to spend 5 nights in Chaing Mai, you'll want to spend at least that much time in Bangkok, which would be a good use of at least two of those three days you're looking to use.

JamesA Mar 9th, 2004 02:41 AM

I agree with Mike about Sukhothai, add a day or so there, I wouldn't add Krabi as by the time you get to Phuket 5 days isn't that long, I would relax and then take day or half day trips once you are settled in at the Amanpuri, you can take a trip to Phang Nga Bay easily and you are not really going to gain much adding Krabi.

Cicerone Mar 9th, 2004 03:15 AM

OK since you like luxury and don't mind spending money, here is what I would recommend:

1. Assuming you are flying in and out of Bangkok on your international flights, I would say 5 nights Bangkok, split into 3 nights upon arrival, and 2 nights at the end. You can get over your jet lag a bit in Bangkok and then on your last two nights get in all the last minute shopping or stuff you didn't see in the first 3 days in Bangkok.

2. 4 nights Chiang Mai may be enough.

3. 7 nights Phuket, split this way: 5 at the Aman and 2 overnight yacht trips, or one 2-day trip. The Aman has a number of boats which you can charter for overnight trips with crew, there are also other charter companies on the island (I can recommend one). This is the best way, IMO, to really see the coast of Krabi, beautiful deserted islands and do some great snorkelling or diving. You can make your own itinerary, stop where you want, eat when you want, and have nights out under the stars. Really a great way to see the area. You can hit the tourist places like James Bond island and the island where "The Beach" was filmed in the early hours or late evening, when all the day trippers are gone. Would cost about the same per night as the Aman, and usually includes all meals and non-alcoholic drinks.

4. A final suggestion, keep your original itinerary (maybe switch one night in Chiang Mai for one in Bangkok), and spend three days in Hong Kong on your way out or in. Great in November, weather-wise, totally different culture and feel from Thailand.

Sameera_Anand Mar 9th, 2004 04:07 AM

I tend to agree with Mike & James. Spend the entire time in Thailand. Increase Bkk - one of your 3 days u will be a bit jet lagged. Bkk is a great city and deserves a bit more time - esp if it is your first visit. U could also consider adding the Anantara at the Golden TRiangle to your Chiang Mai visit - maybe 3 nights at the Four Seasons and 2 at the Anantara. Think 5 at Four Seasons may be a bit too much.

MikeBuckley Mar 9th, 2004 04:54 AM

If you do seriously consider Sukhothai, a few tips ...

The airport is so tiny that there are no hassles. As for getting to the hotel, it was the easiest of all transfers. We flew Thai Air and were surprised to learn that they had a fixed-price van waiting for everyone arriving on the plane. There were no other trnasfer services of any kind.

Depending on where your hotel is, it takes 45 minutes to an hour to get to it. The closer your hotel is to the historic park, the longer it takes. Once you get to your hotel, you can make arrangements at the reception desk for the same transfer back to the airport.

Another alternative is to fly to a different city JamesA mentioned once. Apparently the air fare is far cheaper from Bangkok, though I don't remember about going on to Chaing Mai. That city (sorry that I can't remember the name) is about 45 minutes away from the park. If the airport at that city is within 15 minutes of the the historic park, it will take no longer to get to the park from that airport than from the Sukhothai airport.

If you travel independently, I advise that you contact the hotel to determine if the public bus stop is close to the hotel. The busses run every 15 minutes. The "bus" is a delapidated, (sp?) though reliable, covered truck with sideboard sides that everyone piles into the back. It costs cents, not dollars, to use. YOu'll be joined by the locals and the tourists.

When you get to the historical park, you'll want to rent a bicycle from one of the nearby vendors. It's a wonderful way for almost anyone to get around, especially because there are no hills.

I recommend the Pailyn Sukhothai hotel (if you go to Sukhothai rather than the other city) because it's only about 10 minutes from the park. It's a noderately priced hotel with a spacious lobby, a basic restaurant and a pool. However, if you want to make use of restaurants in the town, this hotel isn't for you; there were no taxis or tuk tuks hanging around the hotel.

When you depart the airport, you'll comfortably wait for your airplane in a small, airy area with a roof but no walls. You'll be served complimentary snacks, non-alcoholic drinks, magazines and newspapers. The banana chips are addictive and scanning a Thai newspaper is fun for someone like me who still struggles with my one and only language.

beezootoo Mar 9th, 2004 08:27 AM

Thanks for all of the great advice. I'm going to look into all of your suggestions... just two questions:

Cicerone: You mentioned that you can recommend a yacht charter company in Phuket. I'd love to know who you suggest.

Is the Golden Triangle safe right now? I think it looks fabulous, but am a little concerned about the proximity to Burma and Laos. What do you think?

Thanks a million!

JamesA Mar 9th, 2004 10:06 AM

Bangkok Airways flies into Sukhothai Airport and Thai Airways flies into Phitsanulok. Though only the Bangkok Airways flight then continues to Chiang Mai. The Thai Airways fare Bangkok to Phitsanulok is B 1,380 US$35) o/way and B 2,760($70) return. 3 flights per day 737's, takes 50 mins. Bangkok Airways return fare shows at B 4,270 ($108) so you can see the difference!!

Kathie Mar 9th, 2004 06:09 PM

I'm not sure what you are responding to that makes you think the Golden Triangle area is not safe. I was there in November and had a great time. There are not border conflicts, etc., nothing I can think of that would make people feel unsafe... maybe the mosquitos?

Cicerone Mar 10th, 2004 12:47 AM

Here is the info on the charter company we used in Phuket, including their webiste:

Thai Marine Leisure
Yacht charters & Yacht Brokerage
c/o Phuket Boat Lagoon
20/7-8, Moo 2, Tambon Koh Kaew
Amphur Muang
Phuket 83200, Thailand
Tel: 66-76-239 111, or 66-76 273 320 or 66-76-273 321
Fax: (66-76) 238 974

e-mail: [email protected], or [email protected]

We chartered the Sea Wolf, which is a power boat, about 47 feet, which sleeps up to 6 people in three cabins. It also had two full bathrooms a large indoor main cabin, an outdoor (but covered) seating area above the main cabin and an open sun tan area on the foredeck. It was air-conditioned which was really great at night and to escape the sun sometimes during the day. We were very happy with the whole experience and would definitely do it again. The crew (2 man) was fun and accommodating and the food was good. They have snorkel equipment on board plus a small dinghy to take you to shore. They can arrange to bring along scuba gear at an extra coast. The company also charters sailboats and smaller boats. They have some catamarans that look really super. We paid about US$1400 a night, which included all meals and fuel but did not include alcohol (we brought our own or they can supply you).

My one recommendation is to pack light. You will not need anything much beyond a swimsuit, cover-up and shorts. Maybe a dress or slacks if you want to have dinner on Phi Phi or Krabi. The charter company will gladly store your large suitcases, and you would only need to bring a sport bag or smaller suitcase on board. The cabins are compact, and it would be difficult to get a large suitcase in them and also be able to move around. Of course, you will probably have at least one extra cabin so you can put things in there as well.

If you don't want to overnight you can hire for a day and set your own itinerary rather than being tied to a tour group.

russla Mar 10th, 2004 09:14 AM

You might also like to go over to Ao Nang and Railey Beach.It's agreat area for relaxing,day trips,restaurants and some shopping.

beezootoo Mar 16th, 2004 03:52 PM

Thanks for all of the great advice. November can't get here fast enough. :-)
One more question.... what do you know about the islands in Southern Thailand around Trang? Are they worth a visit if we exend our trip?
Thanks again!