Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thailand itinerary help - 3 weeks in December

May 25th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

I've had flights booked for a while but have been putting off booking anything else because the options are a bit overwhelming. We'll actually have 23 nights to spend on this trip - we're a couple in our late twenties. Interests: food/culture, temples/history, hiking/rafting, relaxing on the beach. Not too interested in diving into the crazy party scene but we'd at least check it out. We don't need to stay in shared hostel rooms every night but would prefer to keep the budget for this trip on the cheaper side if possible.

I'm thinking something like this:
Day 1: Arrive in Bangkok
Nights 1-3: Bangkok
Day 4: fly to Siem Reap
Nights 4-7: Siem Reap - Angkor Wat and other temples
Day 8: fly to Chiang Mai
Nights 8-12: Chiang Mai: rafting, elephant sanctuary, cooking class, hiking/temples
Day 13: Fly to Krabi?
Nights 13-16: Ao Nang - day tours, nearby islands?
Day 17: Ferry to koh Lanta
Nights 17-20 - relaxing in koh lanta?
Day: 21- back to Bangkok?
Nights 21-23: Bangkok? or maybe something nearby?
Day 24- fly back home

Any thoughts on this itinerary? Does the order of things make sense? Should we check out more/different islands? We aren't scuba divers - more interested in clear water/clean beaches, some snorkeling and just general relaxation.

Thanks!
May 25th, 2015, 11:00 AM

Sounds like a good plan. December is peak season, so you may have a hard time sticking to your hotel budget. We also have our December tickets for some time now, got FF tickets in 1st class by keeping an eye on availability at "saver" award prices.

I do like the idea of splitting your time in Bangkok, staying there at both the beginning and the end of your trip. Remember that it takes time to travel from place to place, and that may cut into some of your sight seeing/relaxation time. Can you maybe cut one stop from your itin? Perhaps Koh Lanta (or do Koh Lanta instead of Krabi if that is preferred).

Other than that, December is a fantastic time of year to be in Thailand! Weather is gorgeous!
May 25th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - we were able to secure some business class seats on Cathay Pacific ourselves using miles as soon as the inventory was released. Just need to fill in the rest of the details now.
May 25th, 2015, 11:36 AM

Overall, your itinerary looks good.

Be aware that most of the elephant camps abuse the elephants. The only place I would recommend is the Elephant Nature Park. Google it and make your reservations in advance.

Personally, I would choose one beach so I didn't use up beach time transferring from one place to another. Note the that the beach is where you are going to have the highest prices, especially at that time of the year. So you may need to choose your beach based on where you can find reasonably priced accommodations.

I would spend your last few days in Bangkok. It's a fabulous city and it has fabulous shopping. Enjoy!
May 25th, 2015, 11:35 PM

the itinerary looks good. its really a good idea to spend a few weeks for vacation with lots of activities and i think what u have is good enough.