Thailand itinerary - Airfare purchased - Please add suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all of those who have seen me lurking around and have helped me with vacation plans, I thank you We have purchased all airfare, so times are set. I have many, many notes I have yet to commit to for time spent with guides so any suggestions pertaining to the areas below are still appreciated. Against some posters' advice we are starting off in Phuket and ending in Bangkok, instead of the other way around. This is to "ease" us out of jet lag and be ready to shop in Bangkok. Final recommendations on cultural places to see, eat and shop?...great! We'd like to bring back a couple sapphires and lots of silver beads/jewelry and traditional items and crafts as gifts. Items such as the Celadon chess sets posted here are of special interest, even though I'm sure we will find lot's of things on the fly.

February 24th-Arrive Phuket 3:25pm
24th-(Aftn) Misc beach, spa, lounging(Eve) Same
25th-(Mrn) Free (Aftn) 4 in 1
safari (Eve) Free
26th-(Mrn, Aftm) Phi-Phi/Kai
snorkeling (Eve) nightlife
27th-(Mrn) Dept to Chiang
Rai/Anantara 11:20am
27th-(Aftn) Arr Anantara approx 4:30pm
(Eve) Spa, dinner, lounge
28th (Mrn, Aftn, Eve) Guide pick up
for full day excursion
hilltribes, Laos/Myanmar border
crossing
March 1st(Mrn) Princess Mother's
Estate/Hall of Opium
(Aftn) Elephant bathing/walk
(Eve) Relax
2nd-(Mrn) Dept to Bangkok 12:35pm
2nd-(Aftn,Eve) Arr airport 2:50pm
Ratt pick-up/Ayutthaya
3rd-(Mrn,Aftn,Eve) Ratt for 12 hours
4th-(Mrn) Blue Elephant Cooking
School
(Aftn, Eve) Shopping on our own
Special dinner/nightlife
5th-Dept Bangkok 8:50am

Thanks for your help everyone!
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 05:38 PM

Virgo, I really think you are trying to do too much. You'll want time to relax rather than just rushing from one thing to another. You've actually planned morning, afternoon and evening activities! (I know, you've put in some times to relax, but not nearly enough) It's hot in Thailand, and you'll want to move slowly and take lots of breaks. I'd cut half (at least) of the activities you've planned.

If you are anything like most of the rest of us, this will just be the first of many trips to SE Asia.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Kathie - I knew I'd be hearing from you on the pace of our schedule I do appreciate your opinion and agree I'll probably go back. Other than the time with the guides, and the airfare schedule, (oh, and the Blue Elephant), we still have room to change/drop things . Realistically, we have 3 "full" days, and we can take more time to relax if needed on the others (spa, massage or other). Being from Seattle, the heat will be the biggest problem. My travel partner and I went to Europe last year and were pretty much on foot from about 8:00am to 9:00pm the entire trip, so at least we do have some stamina to help with our eagerness, if not overly ambitious schedule. I will definitely post the experience post-trip to help anyone else out there that's curious.

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 08:18 PM

the pace is OK... just remember that life goes by slowere in south east asia and scheduals rarely kept.

unless you plan too shop with ratt or do the saphire etc shopping all along your trip. it seems as if you don't leave much time do some leasurely shopping around BKK.. but all in all it looks good. you have a good balance of beach time, relaxing time. adventure, cultural sites, which you also divide into doing by yourself and using a guide. good job..
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 04:14 AM

I agree with Kathie- and since you are from Seattle - the heat and humidity will really drain you- take it easy at Mid day- go out in the mornings and late afternoons- spend mid day at the hotel/pool/spa relaxing and recharging.
Tip for Silver jewelry- real cheap- nothing exotic- Pimkin- a store locatd on the main drag behind the Oriental Hotel.(walk down the street from the Oriental and turn left onto the main street. The shop is a block or two on your left hand side. We found this place was a great value for rings, bracelets, earings, necklaces- sold by weight and they will discount the price a little if you buy a lot- and at those prices- you will.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Virgo, I almost started my post with "As you would expect..." ;-)

You've given yourselves enough flexability, I think you'll do fine. It's not just a matter of the heat, as orgy says, the pace of life in SE Asia is slower. If you move too fast you'll miss it. It really isn't an issue of stamina in SE Asia (ok, it does require stamina to fo the temples at Angkor). You'll find it's very different from traveling in Europe where lots of us are on our feet all day (except for that lovely two hour meal at midday!).

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:21 AM

Call it what you want the heat and humidty of Bangkok will slow some people down- we live in high heat and humidity (Houston)and it slowed us down whenh we were in Bangkok- what more for people from seattle!
If heat and humidity doesn't bother you then of course disregard this advice.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Perhaps, I'm misreading your schedule, but it appears that on March 2, you're flying into BKK and Ratt is taking you to Ayutthaya on that day. That is probably not doable. If you're arriving BKK at 2:50 p.m., you won't get to Ayutthaya until 4:30 at the earliest. That would not allow enough daylight to enjoy the sights. Maybe, the Ayutthaya trip is actually on March 3, when Ratt is scheduled for 12 hours. If that is so, you'll have plenty of time to see things. I'm jealous. Let us know how it works to see Phuket first.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

GPanda -- Actually, arrival was a typo, we arrive 1:50pm. Do you still think this is not enough time? I asked Ratt what might be convenient/time saving to see after arriving at airport, and she suggested Ayutthaya. Now that you brought up the daylight issue, I will have to ask her about that. Are you saying it gets dark by 6 or 7? Thank you Bill, Kathie and Orgy for both positive and realistic comments
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Don't know when it gets dark in early March. You could probably find out on the internet. If you get in at 1:50 p.m., depending on your luggage situation and the timeliness of your flight, earliest arrival Ayutthaya would probably be 3:15-3:30 p.m.. The thing is that Ayutthaya is not one location, but several, usually a minimum of three (3), including the summer palace. You have to be the judge of whether you will have enough time. Others may provide their opinion on this. Given your broad schedule for the days, you certainly seem like you are anticipating having enough energy. Personally, I would say it's too tight.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:59 AM

It gets dark quickly in the tropics (not a lot of sunset time like in Seattle). It will be dark by about 6 pm. Personally, I don't think it's realistic to go to Ayutthaya that afternoon. If you really want to go to Ayutthaya, make it part of your next day when you have Ratt all day. Or, save it until next trip.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:33 PM

yes it gets darker around 6 - 6:30... I've never been too ayuthaya but I think i've seen picture of it lit up at dusk,, which may be a site too see that many tourists havn't.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Allright, points well taken. I have a message into Ratt regarding trip to Ayutthaya. However, it makes sense (to me) to go there even if for only 2 1/2-3 hours of light rather than miss all together...
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 04:51 PM

The ruins at Ayyuthya are beautiful IMO and def worth a trip but my concern is that after dusk they may not be well lit enough for u to climb the stairs or really get close to the buildings...we did a day trip and was a comfortable pace, left Bkk at 8 Am, back in Bkk around 4:30 after a lesiurely lunch break which we could have skipped frankly.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Re: Ayutthaya - After doing a little more research I found that after dark the Wats are flooded with spotlights. There are some really beautiful photos on the web. This helped keep our decision to visit Ayutthaya from the airport, knowing we will have about 2 1/2 to 3 hours of daylight and still have visuals after dark.
Hobbes -- Thank you for the input. We'll be covering some other ground during the rest of the time we have, so we aim to have a positive experience with this option.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:35 AM

HVC-Sounds great. Please alert us to the evening wonders of Ayutthaya. Pulling from another thread, don't think of yourself as stubborn, determined is so much better sounding.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

GPanda -- Thanks for the positive thread. Once upon a time I changed from being bossy to assertive; now from stubborn to determined. I like that
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 12:28 PM

I actually enjoy it when people have different ideas of what they want to do. It brings new information, e.g., flood lights at Ayutthaya. I'm trying to trick my brother into going to Isan on his Thailand trip. I regard him as an advance scout. Posters have only rarely reported on their travels there.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Reading this with great interest as I am leaving for Bangkok on the 12th from HK.
Booked Penisula Hotel for $210/night on our own. Just got the airfare quotes at $246/adult (USD) and $189/child (USD)

Does that sound right to all of you out there from HK? Pls. advise ASAP.
Thanks.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 04:40 PM

I was in Bangkok in the mid to end of August and booked the Peninsula through AmExp Platinum Travel for US$160...standard room. Happy Travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -