Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-itinerary-718311/)

trommom Jul 4th, 2007 03:27 PM

Thailand itinerary

We have 9 days to spend in Thailand. We want to focus on Bangkok and the North. Do you think we would be doing too much if we did both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rae/Golden Triangle along with Bangkok? How many days would you spend where??

Craig Jul 4th, 2007 03:44 PM

Why are you posting the same question a second time?

Kathie Jul 4th, 2007 03:49 PM

I'd spend 5 days in Bangkok and 4 days at the Anantara at the Golden Triangle. Yes, I think trying to do both CM and CR is too much.

trommom Jul 4th, 2007 03:56 PM

Thanks so much Kathie. The Anantara looks like a wonderful place to stay. And it looks like there is alot to do in the area.
Now, about Bangkok -- 5 days seems like alot -- don't the crowds get to you? Is there enough to see there for that amount of time? I was thinking of staying at the Peninsula.

trommom Jul 4th, 2007 04:02 PM

One more question: what airlines fly from Bangkok to Chiang Rai?

Kathie Jul 4th, 2007 04:06 PM

I've flown Thai Air to Chiang Rai, and I understand Air Asia flies that route.

I've been to Bangkok 20 some times and always find enough to do. My first trip to Thailand was 9 days in Bangkok. We'll spend a total of 9 days there this year on our way to and from Sri Lanka. So, no, I don't think you'll get bored. I'll post some of my must-sees later.

MichaelBKK Jul 4th, 2007 04:24 PM

Doing both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai is somewhat redundant as well. 1-2-Go also flies to Chiang Rai from Bangkok.

Kathie Jul 4th, 2007 05:00 PM

Ok, here is my short list of must-sees in Bangkok:

Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha
Wat Po (Reclining Buddha)
Erawan Shrine
Jim Thompson House
Prasart Museum
Take the water taxi
Klong Tour
Eating
Shopping

There are, of course, many other things to see and do, but there is more than enough for a week here!

rhkkmk Jul 4th, 2007 05:38 PM

kathie's list is perfect...

hawaiiantraveler Jul 4th, 2007 09:07 PM

I would add a spa in that list somewhere

Aloha!

Kathie Jul 5th, 2007 05:48 AM

Of course you are right, HT. Spa goes right in the list with shopping and eating to be done again and again.

Guenmai Jul 5th, 2007 06:48 AM

There's a lot to do in Bangkok. I've been going there almost annually since the 90s and vacation there twice a year...one...8-9 day Bangkok vacation and one three-week Bangkok vacation per year. It depends on what you like/dislike. I'm a city person. I've been up to Chiangmai and liked it, but could never stay up there as long as I stay in Bangkok. I'd get bored stiff. But, that's me...you might be fine with staying up there longer. But, for a total of 9 days, I'd definitely do 5-6 full days in Bangkok and 3-4 in Chiangmai. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Jul 5th, 2007 06:51 AM

Correction...I meant to write to stay either 3-4 days in either Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai....but not both. Happy Travels!

tombanks Jul 6th, 2007 02:23 AM

Thailand has a lot of beautifull area's. My favourites are Phuket and Ko Samui. The beaches there are really great.

In case you are still looking for some accommodation, I would suggest you to check out the following links.

http://www.holiday-velvet.com/ko-samui
http://www.holiday-velvet.com/phuket

This company is an internet based rental company. They have villa's apartments for rent and they also advertise for hotels, and much more...

trommom Jul 6th, 2007 07:35 AM

Thank you all for the great input! So, what is everyone's preference -- Chiang Ria or Chiang Mai?

glorialf Jul 6th, 2007 11:53 AM

I don't think you should make the decision based on what anyone prefers. They are totally different and which one you will like better depends on the kind of experience you want. Chiang Rai/Golden Triangle area is much more rural. The activities are more outdoor activities with only a few major tourist sites. You will also probably stay at a resort -- some of which are quite luxurious -- but which are isolated. There are a lot of different ethnic towns and villages. You can hike and the countryside is quite lovely. You will definitely need a car. Chiang Mai is a city with the pluses and minuses of a city. So if I were you I would read about the two places and decide which one you prefer. I love them both but prefer Chiang Mai.

trommom Jul 9th, 2007 09:03 PM

I know I'm driving everyone crazy with all of my questions, but I just can't stop! I know you all are telling me to pick either Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai, but I just feel like I want to see both. I'm thinking we would spend the first few days in Bangkok, then fly to Chiang Rai and spend 3 days then drive to Chaing Mai, so we can explore along the way, and finish with a couple days in Chiang Mai. Staying at Penn in BKK, Anantara in CR and was thinking of Four Seasons in CM, but maybe it's too out of the way and we should stay and Young Come Village?
Help me make up my mind!!!

Kathie Jul 10th, 2007 05:34 AM

As Gloria says, you have to decide what YOU want. It really doesn't matter if the rest of us hate it if you love it. You are welcome to look at some of our photos of both areas at www.marlandc.com

The reason I'm discouraging you from visiting three places is that the moore places you visit, the less expereince of a place you'll have. You lose most of a day each time you change locations. And it takes time to give you a real sense of a place. Asia lends itself best to slow travel.

trommom Jul 11th, 2007 10:31 PM

Another question -- we are going to use a guide for a day in Bangkok. What specific places should we use the guide for?

KimJapan Jul 12th, 2007 01:14 AM

A guide like Tong can take you to a variety of places...basically anywhere you are interested in. You might ask the guide what they recommend, and in addition to that, pick from a guidebook or the internet what you'd like to see, and work out an itinerary from there.

We've been to Bangkok 4 or 5 times before...don't remember right now. We've booked Tong for 3 days this August to do:
Day 1 - floating market (not our first time there, but we want to go again...we'll go early, and explore beyond the main drag and eat), local temples and whatever Tong recommends around there. No shopping. No tiger temple. Back to Bangkok by 3:00 is our desire.
Day 2 - various ways of making merit, amulet market, Koh Kred (we've been here before too, but want to go again)
Day 3 - probably fishing village and orphanage...up to my daughter to decide together with Tong when we meet.
There is tons of other stuff to do...Grand Palace, klong tour, Wats and more Wats, Jim Thompson house, Vim-something-or-other mansion, many smaller museums and such. It's really whatever interests you.