Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand / Islands...Hotels - info (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-islands-hotels-info-88234/)

Jane Speece Sep 29th, 2000 06:19 AM

Thailand / Islands...Hotels - info

I am going to Thailand the end of October. I would like to visit and tour Bangkok for two days. Then I would like to go to Phi Phi Island and stay there several days. Can anyone recommend a good hotel for me in Bangkok (and convenient), and a good one in Phi Phi? How difficult is it to get from Bangkok to Phi Phi? <BR>Or, do you know any better island to go to?? I am looking for white sand beach and crystal clear blue water. I do not care if they have no other actvities or no night life. I want a beautiful beach, and good snorkeling. <BR>Thanks for any info...Jane <BR> <BR>

harzer Sep 29th, 2000 10:24 PM

Phi Phi has what you are looking for but is quite a way from BKK, so you would be best to fly down to Phuket and then take a boat. <BR> <BR>An option nearer BKK is Koh Samet in the Gulf of Thailand, which can be reached by bus and then ferry in around four and a half hours. You can be as isolated as you want there at any of the beaches south of Ao Wong Dern (Malibu Beach). Or you can stay, and party, at Malibu itself. They run boat tours to smaller islands for snorkelling.

Judy Wood Sep 30th, 2000 06:58 PM

Jane <BR> <BR>I saw your email request and this is exactly the kind of response my husband and I are searching for. (We will be going in January.) If it isn't too much trouble, could you please forward your response(s) to us so that we too can plan a great holiday&gt; <BR> <BR>Thanks so much. <BR> <BR>Judy and John

Debbie Buchanan Oct 11th, 2000 08:26 PM

We have just come back from Thailand and did a snorkelling day trip out to Phi Phi Island - I have to say that while the water was picture perfect, when we went to snorkel we were amazed at poor the water visibility was and the pollution of the water. All the coral was long since dead. You may be disappointed if you plan on snorkelling.

lin Oct 15th, 2000 04:27 AM

I spent a week on Phi Phi Don in August and the snorkelling was wonderful- the clarity of the water all depends on the tides and whether or not there are storms at sea. We had wonderful snorkelling some days and not so good on other days, but not from the pollution. If the coral is dead it means that you were not taken to a goos snorkel site. Phi Phi Princess hotel was nice and the peninsula BKK was a great bargain/

Dr. Zae Oct 15th, 2000 10:51 AM

Hi Jane, If you're a "traveler" as opposed to a "tourist," the place to stay in Bangkok is Khao San Road. There are dozens of low-cost guest houses for under $10 USD a night which attract travelers from all over the world; and you'll get a lot of first-hand reports on places like Phi Phi from folks, like yourself, who have been learning by doing. There are also numerous travel stalls and travel agencies in the Khao San Road area which book inclusive packages to places like Phi Phi and other islands equally as beautiful and less populated (i.e. less expensive). You may also want to check out my travel pages at http://www.virtualtourist.com/zae for more tips and insights.

lynn Oct 16th, 2000 08:47 PM

Hi Jane - <BR> <BR>In Bangkok, where you stay really depends heavily on what you want to do. <BR> <BR>I'm not into the backpacker scene so I would skip staying on KSR. And for only 2 days in BKK, you really need to stay somewhere more central to what you want to see. KSR is fairly north compared to all the other things to do in BKK. <BR> <BR>If you want to shop, Siam Square or Silom area is probably best. If you want to mostly visit the famous landmarks like Wat Arun, Wat Pho, and Grand Palace, somewhere on the river is <BR>best, or Chinatown for somewhere cheaper in that area. <BR> <BR>KSR is pretty good for people-watching (although you're mostly seeing other westerners) and it's great for cheap food. Considering your short time in town, I think I'd look elsewhere. <BR> <BR>Let me know if you have any questions. <BR> <BR>We leave in mid November. <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR> <BR>:-)