Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   THAILAND HOTELS (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-hotels-634352/)

ajabound Jul 27th, 2006 05:11 AM

THAILAND HOTELS

Can someone tell me why I should not spend the extra money and stay at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit vs. the JW Marriott, the Sofitel or the Westin?
thanks.

rhkkmk Jul 27th, 2006 05:49 AM

three of the hotels you list are all in the same neighborhood, except for the sofitel....

the westin is not in the same league with the sheraton and marriott---they are one step higher and the sofitel is probably one step below...

so the marriott and the sheraton are the top hotels, imo

you would be happy with any of them, but the two listed above are the superior hotels..

ajabound Jul 27th, 2006 06:03 AM

Thanks for the quick response. One more item, which would you choose between the Marriott & the Sheraton and why?

Guenmai Jul 27th, 2006 06:40 AM

Sheraton Grande Sukumvit is right at the Asoke skytrain station. You couldn't be any closer.You walk out the door and basically there it is...like two minutes away. Plus, they have the best Thai restaurant that I've eaten at in Bangkok called Basil right at the hotel. It's a well-known restaurant. That alone would be a quick sell for me...excellent food. Page Hawaiiantraveler...he and wife just stayed at the Sheraton Grande Sukumvit. Happy Travels!

ajabound Jul 27th, 2006 07:02 AM

Thanks so much for your help...I am very new to this site. What is the protocol for finding Hawaiian Traveler?

Kathie Jul 27th, 2006 08:04 AM

I'd suggest you do a search for his trip report. You could search on "Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit" or "Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit" or if you see a post with his name, you can click on it and you'll see a list of his posts. You can also start a new thread with "Attn: HawaiianTraveler"

Guenmai Jul 27th, 2006 09:36 AM

Just start a new thread that reads,"Posting Hawaiiantraveler". He's here somewhere and should pop up soon. He's a regular. Or you can click on his name and then his travel report will pop up where he's written about the Sheraton Sukumvit Grande. I'll try to find it for you and pull it up. He and I had conversation in that thread so I think I remember where it is. Happy Travels!

hawaiiantraveler Jul 27th, 2006 09:43 AM

aja:

We recently stayed at the Sheraton Grande Suk and really enjoyed it. As mentioned earlier the restaurants in the hotel are great espescially Basil. The rooms are one of the largest in Bangkok(I think only the Pen's are larger. Their location right on the skytrain stop is perfect for shopping and sightseeing in town. The pool is set in a jungle river theme with lots of shade. The pool is not a large lap style pool but the design and decor make you get the feeling that you are not in the middle of a big city but out on a lazy river somewhere.

If you are Starwood Preferred member you can get onto their preferred floors with private butler services, etc. I am planning a return visit on our next Bangkok trip. You'll love it!

Aloha!

Guenmai Jul 27th, 2006 09:44 AM

I've topped Hawaiiantraveler's trip report for you although I figured HT would jump in here soon. Hi HT! Happy Travels!

hawaiiantraveler Jul 27th, 2006 02:33 PM

ajabound:
Oh yea...almost forgot...you can usually get a good price for the SGS on the American express travel site.

With the ajabound name wondering if you are Steely Dan Fan? I'm a huge Donald Fagen fan.
Aloha!

Aloha Guenmai!

ajabound Jul 31st, 2006 06:39 AM

Yes, I'm a huge Steely/Donald fan and an Asia---specifically Thailand---fan!

glorialf Jul 31st, 2006 06:46 AM

you can also check out reviews of the hotels on www.tripadvisor.com. Of the hotels you've mentioned, the Sheraton is probably the highest rated and reviewed.

rhkkmk Jul 31st, 2006 06:49 AM

i think the jw marrriott is a bigger hotel or so it seems... i like their lobby better as well with huge windows on one side giving it an open feeling...i think the rooms at the sheraton are perhaps a bit more lux, or at least the ones we have seen...i have stayed only at the jw....nothing wrong with the marriott rooms, its just that the sheraton rooms seemed more lux....the pool areas in both are different....more greenery at the sheraton but a small area...
both have great restaurants, esp the marriott which has the best steak house in town and like the sheraton an excellent thai rest....
both are near to the skytrain, the sheraton being slightly closer...they are both a 5 minute walk from each other...and on the same side of the street...
marriott is near to the bad-boy action on soi 4 sukhumvit...knew you needed to know that info....

you would be absolutely happy with either hotel....both are solid four star plus hotels--world-class...

ajabound Aug 1st, 2006 04:16 AM

Thanks much to all. Gloria, I do use tripadvisor religiously. On another note: would anyone know of any good day trips from Bangkok where we could see the 'real' Thailand: the landscapes, possibly rainforests, etc...? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

rhkkmk Aug 1st, 2006 05:10 AM

"the real thailand"---nothing could be much more real than bangkok.....i understand what you are asking... i think when you take a klong tour on a long tail boat, it does not get much more real than that...

i have driven n, s, e and w from bkk at least one-two hours in each direction and i find the landscape to be quite boring...others may have a different take...

to see the more attractive areas you have to go quite far north...

Guenmai Aug 1st, 2006 09:33 AM

I agree with Bob(rhkkmk). Happy Travels!