Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand -Honeymoon help (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-honeymoon-help-533588/)

lulu3 Jun 2nd, 2005 04:23 AM

Thailand -Honeymoon help

Hi, I am travelling in late September to Thailand on my honeymoon and are a little confused about accomodation. I WOULD LOVE SOME HELP.

We have a week in Phi Phi and a week in Koh Samui. In both places we would like good, semi/ luxurious accomodation. We were looking at the Phi Phi Island Village Resort, but were worried that it wasn't close to Ton Sai Bay, which is where i have been told the restaurants etc are. We don't want night clubs, but would like restaurants if possible.

In Koh Samui we have been looking at the Muang Samui Spa Resort. If you know of either of these hotels, or have heard anything about them or their location I would be very grateful for some advice.

All suggestions welcome. Thanks for your time. LuLu.

simpsonc510 Jun 2nd, 2005 04:52 AM

In my opinion, you are spending too much time in each location. I would cut Phi Phi to 3-4 days, Samui for maybe 5-6, and then allow time for either Phuket or Bangkok (or both).

Abby43 Jun 2nd, 2005 09:55 AM

Lulu-
I went to Phi PHi in August 2005 and absolutely loved it. I stayed at the Holiday Inn PP, which is supposed to be the best resort there. It was very nice, comfortable, quiet, relaxing. There wasn't a whole lot to do. I went on 2 boat cruises, one to Krabi and another one around PP Lei and Don. Other than that I just sat around the pool and ate and slept to my heart's content!

However, I seriously think PP got destroyed in the tsunami. I just watched a documentary and they showed Ton Sai Bay and there was NOTHING left. The Holiday Inn was not damaged very much because it's not near Ton Sai Bay and personally, I went to TSB one time on one of the boat tours for about 30 min. However, do some research and see what is still left on PP besides the side where the HOliday Inn is to see if it's worth going to right now.

As I said, I loved it. I left PP completely mellowed out and satisfied. A week is too long-I was there for 5 days and was ready to go because all that sleeping and eating wore me down!

Have fun!

P.S. I also went to Phuket which I did not like-too crowded!

BACanuck Jun 2nd, 2005 10:35 AM

Hi lulu3,
I have read good reviews on the Phi Phi Island Village resort on other forums but it is located away from Tonsai Bay. However, as Abby43 points out, Tonsai Bay was severely damaged during the tsunami and most of the restaurants we ate at in Dec. 2005 are now gone. Phi Phi is slowly being rebuilt but you would really need to research to see what it is like there now. A lot of the information on the Internet is from the pre-tsunami days. Another thing to consider is you are planning to visit in late September which is the low season on Phi Phi - great for better rates but not so great for weather conditions as this is still the rainy season there. As most of the activities on Phi Phi Island are oriented to the outdoors, you might want to keep this in mind. I also think that 3 to 4 days on Phi Phi would be adequate. Sorry, I can help with Koh Samui as I haven't been there. Good luck in your reseach and have a fabulous honeymoon.

BACanuck Jun 2nd, 2005 02:19 PM

Sorry, make that December 2004 for meals eaten at Tonsai Bay.

lulu3 Jun 3rd, 2005 12:09 AM

Thank you so much for your advice....about Phi Phi....i will make my trip a little bit shorter.....probably 4 nights and try to squeeze in Bangkok aswell. I will also try to surf the net and check out the other suggestions.

Thank you...any other advice is very welcome. LuLu.