Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand - Has anyone used Classic Journeys (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-has-anyone-used-classic-journeys-956954/)

judymol Nov 17th, 2012 12:07 PM

Thailand - Has anyone used Classic Journeys

We are thinking of going to Thailand through Classic Journeys for 14 days. They do small groups and off the beaten path things (supposedly). If anyone has used them, would definitely appreciate your input.

Kathie Nov 18th, 2012 10:26 PM

I've not used them, but I would say to you that Thailand is one of the easiest places to do on your own. I met a "small" group tour while in Laos, and they were told all of the things they were doing were unique... and yet they were all things that anyone else could arrange on their own (and often did). These people paid thousands of dollars to do a very standard tour with a group of 15-20. Spend your money on superlative accommodations and experiences you set up yourself in Thailand.

rhkkmk Nov 19th, 2012 12:02 AM

kathie is 101% right..

going to thailand is no more difficult than going to london or san francisco or des moines.

you need to do some reading... you need to ask us for help here and we love to give it, you need to relax.. you need to know the level of travel you want--$$$? you need to have realistic expectations..

you need to know english is very prevalent... food is good and very international in scope and affordable---anything from africian to thai to mcdonalds to dunkin doughnuts to german to russian...

people are more friendly than in your town and want you to have a good time.

thai guides are many and we have our favorites here like tong and rat, both fantastic women..

hotels are reasonable and offer lots of lux at reasonable prices..

tours often use hotels slightly out of the main stream or slightly older ones which downgrades your overall experience..

let us help you!!!

judymol Nov 19th, 2012 11:10 PM

Thanks for your advise. The only time I have been on a tour is in China 12 years ago and there were only 4 of us (friends) and we had our own guide and driver in each city. At that time, it would have been somewhat difficult to travel China on our own. Other than that, we have traveled on our own and obtained a guide either through the internet or our hotel for one or two days in each city we visited if it was our first time.

I did look up the hotels on Trip Adviser and wasn't too pleased. So, thank you both and if we decide to go to Thailand we will go on our own and rhkkmk I will definitely contact you for help. You both really helped us make up our mind on that tour. So, thank you, thank you.

it is between Thailand and an 18 day cruise we have already booked on Oceania from Tahiti to Lima and then spending a week in Lima going to Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu.

Judy

Classic_Journeys Jan 9th, 2013 10:39 AM

ZeCarrapichano, I believe you may have Classic Journeys confused with another company. I am the Marketing & Communications Manager for Classic Journeys in La Jolla, CA. We do not have anyone named Ann on staff, nor do we sell international airfare or use British pounds as currency. I would appreciate if you could please delete your reply from this forum. Thank you!

Judy, If you are still thinking about going to Thailand this year, please call us at 800-200-3887 and we would be happy to provide you with several references of guests that have recently traveled to Thailand with Classic Journeys so that they can share their experiences with you. We would be delighted to have you travel with us. We've been recognized by Travel + Leisure Magazine five times as a World's Best Tour Operator and by National Geographic Adventure as one of the Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth. We pride ourselves on providing travelers with authentic experiences at a great value, and we're obsessive about making your vacation remarkable in ways you never expected.