Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand for 3 weeks---how much money (in USD) do I need?! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-for-3-weeks-how-much-money-in-usd-do-i-need-1013804/)

katnic May 8th, 2014 01:45 PM

Thailand for 3 weeks---how much money (in USD) do I need?!

Hi there!

I am headed for Thailand June 17th with a friend. We plan to spend the first 3 nights in Bangkok, 7 days in Koh Samui, a week in Chiang Mai, then last 2 nights in Bangkok... Wondering how much spending money we should plan (not including airfare, hotel stays) for food + drink + excursions? I just need a ballpark here... And please! If you could specify which currency, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

MmePerdu May 8th, 2014 03:01 PM

What will you eat and where? What will you drink and where? Where will you go on excursions and how? Just need a ballpark here and then we can tell you. Off the top of my head, between $20 a day to $200 should give you an idea. That's US dollars. About 650 to 6500 THB.

katnic May 8th, 2014 03:27 PM

I don't know the answer to all of those questions. We don't want to spend a ton of money, so I guess that will be more of an indicator of where we eat... Is it really practical to plan out every daily activity in advance? Maybe it's just me, but I don't find that as fun...

lcuy May 8th, 2014 04:30 PM

If you are very frugal, it's possible to have $3 meals, $2 beers, $1 tickets on the Skytrain. The trip from BKK into Bangkok is at least $3 on the train. Will you be staying places where breakfast is included? Do you plan to do mostly people watching or will you be taking tours, renting boats, going to elepahnt schools, or lots of museums? I think you need to budget a minimum of $25 a day.

I'd recommend you take ATM cards and pull out cash once you get there. Have extra in your account, just in case you end up spending more than planned!

Also, make sure you call your bank before you go to let them know you'll be using your cards in Thailand.

jhubbel May 10th, 2014 04:32 AM

Katnic,

Plan to spend just a few dollars a night by eating at the night markets. I spent a month in Thailand and found these markets the best place to eat at night, great food, and extremely cheap. I ate on the street every day- the food is very safe and very cheap. I also stayed in hostels, but the hotels can be very reasonable. If I recall correctly I spent about $3.00 a night at the night markets for food and ate like a king. Hostels are very inexpensive- but for example you can stay in one of the nicest hotels in Bangkok for about $80 a night, and see the entire city from one the high floors if you want to end your trip with a super treat.

There is a wide range available, but I found that Thailand was pretty inexpensive if I compared costs first, looked at the tour prices and asked around. Finally, I spent some time learning some of the language before I left, and being able to speak a few words in Thai will earn you a lot of friends there who will be eager to help you along the way. The people are so very gracious, but if you can say hello, thank you and a few other things in Thai, the response is overwhelming.

Prachuap May 13th, 2014 07:33 PM

Food and drinks for 2 - $30 a day is more than enough. Street food is cheap and safe to eat. Can save more by eating it

Tours are 20 to 70 $ for a day trip

Thai atms charge $5 per withdrawal plus your home bank charges fees

Best to take dollars and change them over there. Card for backup.

Prachuap May 13th, 2014 07:38 PM

US$

Figure 2 day tours a week.

So for 2 weeks you have about $700

Hobbert May 15th, 2014 04:43 AM

You can easily eat for less than $20USD/day if you stick with street food. Just go to stalls with lots of other customers, avoid the water, and you'll be fine. And well fed! Admission to sites was anywhere between $1USD and $10USD, in my experience. Cheaper was more common. I can't really comment on day trips since they can vary. So, for 20 days, I'd budget $30USD/day or $500USD plus tours and souvenirs.

Just being an ATM card and get money as you go. Remember to call your bank first and let them know you'll be overseas! Also, check on ATM fees. My bank refunds up to $15USD/month in fees so that was nice. It's helpful to bring a credit card for emergencies- look for one with no foreign transaction fees.

jobin May 15th, 2014 05:51 PM

My honest comments were removed. Censorship at work, very un-necessarily.