thailand; chiang mai trek's; help!

Oct 8th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

thailand; chiang mai trek's; help!

Message: i will be going to chaing mai as part of my honeymoon next month. my travel agent has provided me with one itinerary for a 3 day trek (below). a few questions:

1. do i really need to do this from the usa or should i wait till i'm there to book a tour? it's not a money issue, i was thinking we could get a more tailor-made itinerary if we did it locally.

2. we are young (30) and in good shape..this trek doesn't seem very active..any thoughts/suggestions of where/what to push for?

3. any thoughts about this itinerary/locations would be most appreciated

CHIANG MAI - THATORN (-/L/D)

DAY 1 Depart Chiang Mai for Fang and Thatorn via Chiang Dao by private van. En route visit Fang district, 150 kms from Chiang Mai. Lunch at local restaurant. Depart Thatorn by local motorboat for a 3-hour journey down the Kok River. En route visit a Karen village and hike uphill for 2 hours to a Lahu village. Dinner and overnight at the Lahu Village.

THATORN - CHIANG RAI (B/L/D)

DAY 2 Wake-up call and breakfast. Start the day with a hike for about 2 hours and visit a waterfall along the route. Lunch at an Elephant Camp of an Akha and Lahu village. In the afternoon, ride on an elephant for 1.30 hours and continue on foot for another half hour to an Akha village. Dinner and overnight at Akha Village.

CHIANG RAI - CHIANG SAEN - CHIANG MAI (B/L/-)

DAY 3 Wake-up call and breakfast. Short walk to a Shan village, from where you will take a local truck back to the main road and continue by private van to Chiang Saen, the former capital of Lanna, located in the Golden Triangle. Lunch at a local restaurant en-route. Continue to Chiang Mai with a short stop at hot springs along the way.
Oct 8th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Are you used to hiking in high temps and high humidity?
Oct 8th, 2004, 09:45 AM

I have a few suggestions.

First, yes, you will get a better deal as well as a more customized trip if you wait to book until you are in Thailand.

Second, this trek appears to be closer to the Golden Triangle than to Chaing Mai (at least that's where you end up). That's a very long drive. You'd be far better off to start in the Golden Triangle area. And, while you are there, spend a few nights at the Anantara at the Golden Triangle. It's a fabulous place for a honeymoon. Search here for the reviews. Mine was from Dec., 2003, right after it opened, but others have stayed there since.
Oct 10th, 2004, 12:58 PM

My friend and I did a three night trek in 2000.. It was wonderful.We booked online before we went through lisulodge.com. We didn't know what to expect but it turned out even better then we imagined. We were the only two on the trek and had two guides. Take a look at the sight. I do think that you can come up with something better then what your travel agent has suggested. It sounds like you are up for something a little more active. Good Luck and congratulations.

Search this Thread