Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Hong Kong - Entry & Departure Fees (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-cambodia-vietnam-and-hong-kong-entry-and-departure-fees-960308/)

wkwb42a Dec 24th, 2012 12:48 PM

Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Hong Kong - Entry & Departure Fees

At last, our trip to SE Asia is just a couple of weeks away! Again, many thanks to all of you for your expert help in planning our trip. We are U.S. citizens.

We recently found out that the stamping fee for the visa on arrival (Vietnam) has gone up to $45 (U.S.) per person. How much is the exit fee, if there is one?

For Cambodia, we will get our visas on arrival. How much is it? And is there an exit fee? How much?

For Thailand, am I correct that a visa is not required? Is there a departure fee?

For Hong Kong, am I correct that a visa is not required required? Departure fee?

Perhaps the departure fees are included in our airfare.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Happy Holidays to all!

Kathie Dec 24th, 2012 01:45 PM

No visa required for entry into Thailand or Hong Kong. You Thai exit fees have been collected in the price of your airline ticket. I believe that is true in Hong Kong as well, but I will defer to those who have been to Hong Kong more recently than I have been.

Others will chime in on Cambodia, as it's been a decade since I was last there.

Have a wonderful trip!

rkkwan Dec 24th, 2012 04:35 PM

Kathie is right about HKG. In fact, if you do a sea-to-air transfer at HKG, you can even get HK$120 refunded.

Bisbeee Dec 24th, 2012 07:43 PM

There's no exit fee required upon Vietnam.

Bisbeee Dec 24th, 2012 07:44 PM

Oops. That should have said no exit fee required upon "leaving" Vietnam.

emd3 Dec 24th, 2012 09:26 PM

rkkwan, did you see the congratulatory thread for you in the Lounge?

Xircal Dec 25th, 2012 12:15 AM

Just a quickie. VOA in Vietnam is only valid if you arrive by air at either Noi Bai International Airport (Hanoi), Tan Son Nhat International Airport (Ho Chi Minh City) or Danang Airport (Da Nang). It won't be valid if you arrive via a land border. In the latter case, or if you arrive at another airport, you'll need a full blown visa from the Vietnamese Embassy in your own country.

The fee you mentioned applies from the beginning of next year and applies to a tourist visa applied for in the visitor's home country. See: http://news.gov.vn/Home/Fees-for-vis...1211/16245.vgp

I assume though that you've already obtained the necessary 'Letter of Approval' from a Vietnamese agent? If you haven't, then I'm afraid you'll be spending your vacation on the wrong side of the immigration barrier until your return flight departs.

silverwool Dec 25th, 2012 12:59 AM

Cambodia is $20US for visa if you are flying in. I'm reasonably sure the exit fee is now included in the ticket price. It was in July anyway. Visa on arrival is a painless process fill in the form, hand over your passport, $20 and a passport photo and go to the other end of the row of officials. Your passport will be passed from one to the other and then the photo page will be held up for you to collect. I've usually got mine before my luggage is unloaded.

yestravel Dec 25th, 2012 06:40 AM

This past January (Cambodia) and February (VN) if there were any exit fees the fees were included in our air tickets. Enjoy your trip!

Emro2 Dec 25th, 2012 02:46 PM

In Cambodia we had the same experience as silverwool, in November 2012.
Exit fee is included in the ticket price.

wkwb42a Dec 25th, 2012 04:46 PM

Thank you for all your prompt information. I appreciate it. Yes, we have a letter of approval from VN. So we are all set as far as exit fees and visas go, at this point.

I heard that one needs locks on luggage in Vietnam. Is that correct? Thanx again.

silverwool Dec 25th, 2012 06:32 PM

I always lock my luggage. Also make sure you leave it locked in the hotel room when you are out. (I had some money stolen in a 4 star hotel some years ago.) Its better to be safe than sorry.

wandering_gal Dec 26th, 2012 02:03 AM

For HK, if you flew in or used one of their airlines (eg. cathay pacific, dragon air) then you are exempted. If not, then they will charge you. But most airlines include them in your ticket billing you can check your receipt for that info.