Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand Beaches (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-beaches-641685/)

manhattanbch Aug 24th, 2006 02:55 PM

Thailand Beaches

Great website, this is more first time on, and I'm in love. My boyfriend and I (early 30's) Are going to Thailand for the 1st time. Right now we are going to Bangkok for 2 days and the rest we want to go south and check out the beaches. We are going to sty in Phuket for 3 day ( hit Ph Phi on a day). We just don't know where else we should go. We want to stay in a Beach Bungalow (no more then $300 a night) We were thinking Koh Lanta but is it to similar to Phuket ? We want to chill, eat, drink and bask in the sun. Any suggestions? Thanks, Misty

Gpanda Aug 24th, 2006 03:29 PM

If you're from NYC, you will probably like BKK enough to spend more than two days. Having said that, when are you going to Thailand? The weather patterns should dictate whether Phuket and the west are best or whether you should go to Ko Samui or the Gulf.

manhattanbch Aug 24th, 2006 04:10 PM

Were from Manhattan Beach, California, and were going to Thailand middle of November. We just didnt want to travel to much. That's why we were looking at Koh Lanta. Since were heading to Phuket for sure. But thought maybe there's a better island to go to?

TexasSlim Aug 24th, 2006 04:15 PM

Koh Lanta will be perfect for you. Lanta is not really similar to Phuket, it's far less developed and has more tropical-island feel to it. There are many beach-front bungalows. You'll be able to chill and soak up the sun on Lanta.

Kathie Aug 24th, 2006 04:34 PM

Koh Lanta sunds like a good options for you. let me chime in and recommend some more time in Bangkok. You may want to spend a few days in Bangkok on your way in and a few days on your way out. There is so much to do and see in Bangkok. Some of the best hotels in the world are in Bangkok (and in your price range). Also, you won't learn much about Thai culture at the beach, but Bangkok will be a wonderful intro to the richness of the Thai culture.

JamesA Aug 24th, 2006 05:06 PM

Koh lanta is very different from Phuket, far more quieter and relaxed. Also as everyone has already said plenty of nice beach places, Pimalai is one of the best, November is busy season.

rhkkmk Aug 24th, 2006 07:41 PM

not sure if you know it or not but when you arrive in thailand you will be very tired and jet lagued...like nothing you have ever experienced before....and the heat and humidity will knock you for a block...

so i suggest that you try to add about 2 days on to bkk at the end of your stay, maybe at one of the lux riverside hotels....almost like being at the beach: peninsula or the marriott resort come to mind....both have fabulous pools...this way you will not miss out on anything in bkk...i'm just afraid that during those first two days you will be too tired to do much of anything...

so for that reason i would stick with phuket for a few days and then return to bkk...

Reeta Aug 24th, 2006 10:10 PM

Hi my boyfriend and I are in our early 30's and heading there in December. We are doing 5 weeks incl north and south but based on what you have said I think Ko Lanta would be PERFECT - we are spending 6 nights there and another two nights down at Ko Ngai at Thapwarin Resort. In Ko Lanta we have chosen 3 nights at the Narima www.narima-lanta.com and also 3 nights at Lanta Long Beach Resort (cheapest through Sawadee.com) - looked at several others so if you need any info let me know!

Emjay x

Gpanda Aug 25th, 2006 08:21 AM

MB-please excuse my East Coast sensibilities, I assumed that your screen name was an abbreviation of Manhattan B_tch. Nonetheless, you should still add some time in BKK.