Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Thailand/Bali with 15 year old (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/thailand-bali-with-15-year-old-502831/)

marthagrif Feb 10th, 2005 04:18 PM

Thailand/Bali with 15 year old

I am in the early stages of planning a trip for the end of the year. My husband and I will be travelling with our 15 year old son. He's a great kid, but totally disinterested in anything cultural or historical (I am hoping it's just a teenage phase). He knows he will have to compromise and visit some temples etc with us. Can I get suggestions for places that have such a wow factor he couldn't possibly not be impressed?
Should I even try the day trip to AYUTTHAYA with him or just go by myself and leave the boys in Bangkok?
One more thing ..if shorts are not the required dress standard to enter somewhere, can the guys just put on a sarong?
I know I will have more to ask, but this is all for now.

lcuy Feb 10th, 2005 05:26 PM

he might enjoy the Amazing bangkok cyclist tour in Bangkok. Our 17 and 20 year old daughters did (and us parents too). I review it in my post " Lucys Bangkok & Tokyo Christmas"

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34549294

rhkkmk Feb 10th, 2005 05:52 PM

the cycle tour is a geeat idea...leave the boys to do patpong or some other area that you do not even need to hear about....

in bkk he will find lots of things that interest him...on the beaches as well....

he will like buying cheap music and other trinkets...

in bali i am not sure...it is very beautiful and he cannot help but like that....choose a hotel with a huge pool area (like the bali hyatt) and he will find things to do....maybe even other teenagers...

hire a driver in bali like putu, who is often spoken of here...he is young and will make things interesting for your son...maybe he will even invite him to go out with his girlfriend and himself....he is quite square in many ways so will not lead the boy astray...

don't over schedule and make time for down time for the boy...

orgy7 Feb 10th, 2005 06:17 PM

finaly a question I can sort of answer

-force him too go too the grand palice.

-let him roam aournt kaosan rd.. backpacker district..

-take him too Pantip IT plaza where he can load up on copy vidio games, pc, games and DVD's.. which all go for a about $2.50 and less. obviously be carefull some of those cd's are crap and carry some nasty things.

-check out the gold class (soething like that) seats at some of the movie theaters. they are basicly lazy boys

-YES let your husband go too nana plaza and have a father/son night out... Don't wory there is NO nudaty, now a days it's actually lame.

-don't worry bangkok is a verry divers city next too a skycrapers there may be a wooden shack. next too a mall there may be a biutifull temple.. YOu cant hide from the cultural things.

Razzle_Dazzle Feb 11th, 2005 07:03 AM

Marthagrif,

In my opinion, the Grand Palace is a WOW place. It's a must-see landmark regardless of whether your son likes 'cultural stuff' or not. Also, check out the snake farm. I didn't make it there when I was in Bangkok, but I've heard a number of positive reviews about the place. Consider taking a trip on a boat on the city's klongs (sp?), and take a ride on a tuk-tuk about the city for a unique experience (but DO NOT succumb to the tuk-tuk driver's offers to visit ANY stores; be polite, but firm).

Hope this helps.

Razzle_Dazzle Feb 11th, 2005 07:18 AM

"Don't wory there is NO nudaty, now a days it's actually lame."

Orgy7 - LOL! For a denizen of a rather inhibitive city in Canada, Nana came across as a rather racy place, even without nudity. ;-)

glorialf Feb 11th, 2005 07:37 AM

You might consider a one or three night stay at the Elephant Conservation Center outside of Chiang Mai. He also might enjoy some rafting either around River Kwai or nothern Thailand.

I'd go to Ayutthaya without him.

In Bali stay in one of the larger, more commercial resorts that have lots of activities that might amuse him while you do "cultural" things.

orgy7 Feb 12th, 2005 06:47 AM

jeez I forgot too mention thai kick boxoing. it's cool and cultural

bali, KUTA .. I just have this strange feeling that teens like being where teens are.. he can check out some cool surf shops

marthagrif Feb 13th, 2005 07:41 PM

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will report back on how it all turns out.