Thailand 2 weeks last minute trip.

May 4th, 2019, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thailand 2 weeks last minute trip.

Hi everyone,

We've decided to cancel our Sri Lanka trip that was scheduled for mid-may and rebooked our flights to Bangkok instead. We've been to Thailand before - Phuket, Chiang Mai and Bangkok multiple times. Was looking for ideas on how to best plan a last minute two week trip. We are 4 adults 4 children (two families) and our friends haven't been to Thailand before. I was thinking of keeping it simple so maybe just Bangkok and Krabi. This is for the last two weeks of May. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
May 4th, 2019, 10:33 AM

I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip to Sri Lanka - one of my favorite places.

I think your idea of making this trip easy, just Krabi and Bangkok sounds wise to me. It will be a good introduction for your friends. You are traveling at a time of the year when there won't be hoards of tourists, which will make hotels less expensive and everything less crowded. If it was me, I'd be looking at hotel booking sites to see if I could get a great price on a fabulous hotel.

Enjoy your trip!
May 4th, 2019, 11:43 AM

Is a beach destination really important?

Have a look at Kanchanaburi Province, only 2 hours by train from Bangkok......loads of living social History....think The Bridge over the River Kwai.....The Death Railway....Hellfire Pass. Beautiful countryside, loads of things to do. Have a look...

https://www.seat61.com/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm

Then head even further East to a lovely tourist free place on the Myanmar Border called Sangkthlaburi. Easy to reach by bus from Kanchanaburi....leave the real world behind.....

Welcome to P.GuestHouse Country Resort

Or go up to the North East by overnight train to a lovely frontier town on the Meekong, sat between Thailand and Laos, called Nong Khai, and stay here....

https://www.mutmee.com/
May 7th, 2019, 08:40 PM

Agree with LancasterLad. Kanchanaburi is definitely worth a look. We got a TourByLocal guide for 2 days who was fantastic.
Bridge, Death Railway, Museum worth doing. Also a great float down the river tour - suitable for kids and adults.
May 13th, 2019, 09:20 AM

I am planning on visiting ElephantWorld In Kanchanaburi in November, it looks like a truly wonderful, ethical place.

https://www.elephantsworld.org/
May 13th, 2019, 09:52 AM

PS, just became aware of controversy concerning these so called sanctuaries so maybe ignore my post above.
May 13th, 2019, 10:50 AM

KRNS, I don't know Elephant World, so let's see if there are any Fodorites who do know it and can vouch for how humane it is or isn't. There are new places popping up that purport to be ethical, so you have to do some research to find out. Hopefully, someone here can offer some info.
May 14th, 2019, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your inputs Kathie, LancasterLad. We are going with Bangkok, Kanchanaburi and Krabi in two weeks. Just enough culture and downtime i think without rushing about too much. Appreciate your help. Sharon.
May 17th, 2019, 11:57 PM

Check out Ayutthaya. Just one hour north of Bangkok by train. Its an ancient capital that was sacked by the Burmese a few centuries back. I haven't been there myself, but I hear its great. On the same train line North, there is another ancient capital called Lop Buri, which also has ruins covered in monkeys and lots of history etc. I'm making these suggestions because its not beach-related (yawn), or animal-exploitation related (squirm)
May 18th, 2019, 02:53 AM

A word to the wise, try to avoid Kanchanaburi on a weekend as it tends to get flooded with partying students from Bangkok. lots of boats on the river blaring out music until the early hours.
May 18th, 2019, 04:25 AM

I agree with Crellston at #10 about the weekends and partying Bangkok weekenders. And tbh anywhere popular within about a 4 hour drive of Bangkok will suffer the same weekend fate. So far as Kanchanaburi goes though, if you can find accommodation away from the river you'll avoid the worst of any party revellers.....unless of course you're stuck in the same hotel as them.
May 18th, 2019, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by summitspete View Post
Check out Ayutthaya. Just one hour north of Bangkok by train. Its an ancient capital that was sacked by the Burmese a few centuries back. I haven't been there myself, but I hear its great. On the same train line North, there is another ancient capital called Lop Buri, which also has ruins covered in monkeys and lots of history etc. I'm making these suggestions because its not beach-related (yawn), or animal-exploitation related (squirm)
Ayutthaya is easily reached by train from the main train station in Bangkok [Hualamphong]. Lots of departures during the morning, mainly 3rd Class only [which is perfectly fine]. The journey is scheduled to take just over 2 hours, but can take longer. No seat reservation necessary, a ticket costs next to nothing.

The train station is central, you just need to walk down a short lane and jump on a small river ferry to cross to the main town,

Easy to do on a long day trip, but it's well worth staying overnight. A great place to watch the river traffic is a bar/hotel very close to the little ferry pontoon on the town side.
May 18th, 2019, 09:17 AM

As far as Elephantworld goes, it is not ethical. See my other thread about it. Some links I posted over there:

Animal Abuse at ElephantsWorld in Kanchanaburi, Thailand - Don't Volunteer Here:

https://mailchi.mp/e2ff3ada648f/foun...5odwa5mPt-lf1A=left

https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/how-...ry-in-thailand