Notices

Thailand

May 15th, 2016, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Thailand

Hello!

Can anyone recommend me some key things to do in Chiang Rai?
Like four things you'd do in Chiang Rai.
I find it less written about compared to Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket.
The travel show that I follow featured the White Temple and the hill tribes. Would you go there?
The temple looks beautiful actually.
May 16th, 2016, 08:46 AM

I discourage people from "visiting hill tribes" as I generally find such tours to be exploitive and culturally insensitive, destroying the old life ways rather than nurturing them. If you are really interested and motivated, there are good guides who can take you to visit hill tribes that require at least a full day hike into the village, a couple of overnights in a homestay and a full day hike out.

Many people love the White Temple (There is also a Black House), though I prefer the traditional temples. There are some lovely temple ruins in Chiang Sean and a nice museum. The Opium Museum is worth a stop. We took a day trip to Doi Tung, the former estate of the Queen Mother, and had the opportunity to see the lovely gardens and the economic development projects she started.

Note that none of these things are IN Chiang Rai, but in nearby villages or countryside, so you would need to hire a car and driver to take you to these places. Chiang Rai has some nice markets, less touristy than those in Chiang Mai.

If you go, you will find travel agencies offering 3-country tours, taking you across the border into Laos and Burma. I don't recommend these, as you will see nothing of the uniqueness of these countries, only "markets" selling cheap Chinese goods.
May 16th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Kathie

I like your sharing... never thought about it that way re the hill tribes, but I do agree with you. It is somewhat intrusive.

The Opium Museum sounds very interesting, I shall go read up about that. Am not a very savvy traveller, so would prefer to do more research and plan my route properly. Will note your advice!

thanks

Search this Thread