Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   Asia (
-   -   Thai Visa Options for longer/ multiple stays (

crellston Dec 9th, 2013 11:44 PM

Thai Visa Options for longer/ multiple stays
I am tentatively planning an extended trip to Asia and am considering using Chiang Mai as a base to visit a number of other countries in the region. As far I can ascertain from the Royal. Thai embassy website it seem that as a British citizen I can get 30 days entry on arrival without the need for a visa and then a further 30 days if I leave and return. I have a number of questions:

1) Does anyone know if there is a maximum period of stay - say 90 days in a calendar year etc.?

2) Is there now any difference between arriving by land or air? I know it used to be 15 and 30 days respectively but read somewhere that it was now 30 days in each case?

3) there is a one year non immigrant visa for over 50s which allows one to pretty much come and go as you please. What about a spouse under the age of 50? Are there any special provisions to allow a similar visa for them?

4) any suggestions for apartment rental agencies in. Thailand.

Thanks in advance of any information

jobin Dec 10th, 2013 12:16 AM

Suggest you inquire at <thaivisa dot com>. a Q/A plus info site that will answer your questions. it's much more than simply visa issues. and thailand visa issues can be complex and mutable. the site also offers classifieds ads and chiang mai is well represented.

Kathie Dec 10th, 2013 05:24 AM

There is (again) no longer a difference between arriving by land vs. arriving by air.

This is a complex issue. You might also want to yalk with your local Thai embassy/consulate.

khunwilko Dec 10th, 2013 06:12 AM

Land air is now the same for some countries (G7 or 8?) - My post -

They don't seem to be counting the number of times you go in and out - or at least don't seem to be limiting this at present.

If you want a year then you might try for a non immigrant "O" visa. this covers a multitude of sins....basically it is a 90 day visa, but it can be available for a year with multiple entry. You will still have in most cases to leave the kingdom every 90 days, on re-entry you get another 90 days regardless of the time you have had before.
The best way to get this is to approach an honorary consulate - face to face and see what they say. This is because some places won't/don't issue them, others only in certain circumstances - a lot seems to be down to the whim of the particular consul.
There is also a non immigrant "B" for those with companies who wish to do business in the kingdom.
Over 50? you might research retirement "O" visa - you need, as with most "O' visas, the equivalent of 800k baht in a thai bank for 3 months. none of this seems to be 100%. You can show income sufficient might be enough.

khunwilko Dec 10th, 2013 06:12 AM

BTW - what a consulate puts in writing and what they do face to face may not always be the same.

khunwilko Dec 10th, 2013 06:19 AM

Try these 2 links on Thaivisa

crellston Dec 11th, 2013 07:51 AM

Many thanks all. Having had a peek at the links provided I think we will just make sure we don't spend more than 30 days in Thailand in one go.

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:46 AM.