Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thai (Cooking) Adventure with Mom, Aunt & Grandma!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2011, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I've loved reading the posts on everyone's Thailand adventures and was looking to get some feedback on my upcoming trip. I'm traveling in February 2011 for 16 days (including travel time) flying in and out f Bangkok. This trip was originally planned as a "cooking adventure" for my mother and I, but my Aunt and Grandmother jumped on board (that's a good thing ) and now we'd just like to explore Thailand see some beautiful sites and beaches and sprinkle some cooking classes, (and lot's of eating!) throughout.

As of right now my plan is this: Arrive in Bangkok Sunday morning (1am) spend 3 days in BKK leave Tuesday evening for Chiang Mai, spend 4 full days in Chiang Mai with an AM flight to Phuket the following Sunday morning, and head out to some beaches, likely Ko Lanta, then Krabi, wrapping up with an AM flight from Krabi to Bangkok the following Saturday, one last full day in Bangkok before departing late late that night (2am Sunday).

Here's my long list of questions, feel free to answer just one or as many as you have any opinion on:

1) Is this too much travel for our group? (logisitcs: one 29 yo, 2 45-55, and one fit 80) It's important to us that we have, a good mix of cooking, culture, and beaches, which is how this itinerary came about. We are also not scared to move around a lot (we did this with a tour group in India, and really enjoyed getting to see so much) - but don't want to overdo it.

-2) Accommodations - What are your fave low cost hotels/bungalows/b&bs in the cities I mentioned? I know we'll have to pay more in Bangkok, but I've seen some great places for around $30 some places, and would love to stay at some smaller, unique pretty places in that price range

3) Is flying into Phuket in the morning and going straight to Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta pushing it? (We would do this b/c over populated Phuket doesn't appeal to us much) If it's worth spending the night there, any suggestions for reasonably priced accomodations?

4) Fabulous cooking classes you took? Best dish you made?

5) Great food you ate?? - interested in everything from a great cheap noodle shop to dinner and Lanna dancing in Chiang Mai

-6) Tips for the markets? (Floating, weekend, chinatown, etc.)

Can't wait to see your responses! Any other tips or ideas even if not responding to a question are of course welcome.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

February 2012 that is!
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM

You can certainly visit three locations in the time you have. I would suggest that you choose one beach location so you can pause and enjoy it rather than needing to pack up and move right away.

Chiang Mai is probably the best place for a cooking class. There are a number of excellent cooking classes offered there.

Places to stay? take a look at www.sawasdee.com

In Bangkok, take a look at this place. I notice she doesn't have prices listed, but you can email her. http://ratservice.com/bb.aspx I don't find her email right now, but someone here will know.

In Chiang Mai, this place has been highly recommended by a number of travelers here.
http://baanorapin.com/
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Kathie! I've been frequenting Sawasdee.com and Agoda.com, but it gets overwhelming, so the links to specific b&bs is great, will look further into both of them. Thanks again!
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 07:18 PM

be very careful in what you choose in the $30 range...

hotels in bkk can often be less expensive than elsewhere...

you might want to consider a 2 bedroom serviced apartment: centre point, adelphi suites and many others, both in bkk and outside..

one of the best days i have ever spent in thailand was the cooking school aboard the boats owned currently by the marriott resort and spa, soon to be the anantara....it is expensive but the morning is a fabulous one...
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I didn't clarify I meant $30 pp, I saw some very nice looking bungalows in Ko Lanta for around $60/night, but just am not sure if they're too good to be tree, hence asking for reccs. - Thanks for the bkk reccs!
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

wow, *true that is
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:16 PM

make sure what ever you choose that it has a/c...